The Student Room Group

Wednesday 8th June - OCR GCSE Computing Exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Adamtoo
What do you have to know about sound and images because all I understand is colour depth and sampling depth and how analog data needs to turn into digital data for the computer to process it.

Yes thats technically all you need to know.
So when sound is recorded into the computer the original sound wave is sampled at certain intervals. The greater the sample rate the closer the data wave which will be created by the computer will be to the original. Thus increasing the bit depth and the size of the file.
The size of the file depends on the :
- Sample Rate
- Bit Depth

Bit depth+ the number of bits which are used in each sample.
How did everyone find it??
I completely messed up the algorithm at the end and was confused about all the database bs :redface:
Reply 182
How did everyone find it? I found it much easier than last years other than the question about bit mapping.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 183
What did everyone put for the bit mapping question where they gave you figure 2 and u had to use an example?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, I ****ed that up. But hey that's what I get for no revision.
Original post by PCB
What did everyone put for the bit mapping question where they gave you figure 2 and u had to use an example?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was just making up bs tbh. I said "a bitmap image is a series of pixels, and each 'box' is one pixel. Each pixel is one colour and the colours have unique binary values. W will have a different value to B" or some shite lmao
What did you put? :smile:
Reply 186
Original post by surina16
I was just making up bs tbh. I said "a bitmap image is a series of pixels, and each 'box' is one pixel. Each pixel is one colour and the colours have unique binary values. W will have a different value to B" or some shite lmao
What did you put? :smile:

Yh, i put something similar to that(just guessed though). put about unique binary bit pattern and the amount of pixels per inch affecting the quality of the image. What did u get for the last question? i think i messed up as well.
Original post by PCB
Yh, i put something similar to that(just guessed though). put about unique binary bit pattern and the amount of pixels per inch affecting the quality of the image. What did u get for the last question? i think i messed up as well.

I don't even know. I spent like half an hour on it but I just couldn't do it because I haven't done any programming for such a long time and the ones in the past papers were piss takes! I did something about checking if its between 0 and 100, and then did a for loop (which I did for 1 to 100 and not starting from 0 :colonhash:) but then everything inside the loop was wrong as well :colonhash: I'm just hoping I pick up a few marks because of the INPUT and OUTPUT statements :/
Looooved the 6 marker on improving performance of the computer, hated the algorithm question though
Internet vs World Wide Web:

Why is the internet not the world wide web? Many people think that the internet and the world wide web are the same thing. While they are closely linked, they are very different systems.

The internet is a huge network of computers all connected together. The world wide web (‘www’ or ‘web’ for short) is a collection of webpages found on this network of computers.
Your web browser uses the internet to access the web.
So when you get home from school and ask to go on the internet, you should really say, ‘Can I look at some of the world wide web?’.
Original post by miapeters
Looooved the 6 marker on improving performance of the computer, hated the algorithm question though

yeah exactly the same. I just couldn't see how to do it in exam conditions but could do the bloody controlled assessments absolutely fine :colonhash:
yeah exactly the same. I just couldn't see how to do it in exam conditions but could do the bloody controlled assessments absolutely fine :colonhash:

me too, fingers crossed I'll get a mark for 'input number' at least :dong: what did you put for the question on legal and ethical implications of Lauren's computing website??
Original post by miapeters
me too, fingers crossed I'll get a mark for 'input number' at least :dong: what did you put for the question on legal and ethical implications of Lauren's computing website??

Data Protection Act, Copyright Designs and Patents Act and I just threw in the Computer Misuse Act at the end because why not? :biggrin:
I left out the ethical stuff tbh lol
What did you put?
Data Protection Act, Copyright Designs and Patents Act and I just threw in the Computer Misuse Act at the end because why not? :biggrin:
I left out the ethical stuff tbh lol
What did you put?

shiiit... now you've said that it seems so obvious to write about all the laws but i only wrote about the data protection act, and then about having an acceptable use policy to stop the students from cyberbullying and stuff even though thats only used in network policies, not for websites :erm: I also wrote that an ethical implication would be using cookies and storing data on the kids? lool i'm hoping for about 2 marks on that question haha
Quite an easy exam imo

Second six marker was a dream! 🙈🙈🙈🙈
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 195
Guys what do you think will be an A.
Last year it was 49 for an A.
Considering that there were probably more candidates this year do you think that the grade boundaries are going to go up or down?
I need a high B to get an A* overall. I counted and got 50 marks :/. Really concerned tbh
Original post by Undec
Considering that there were probably more candidates this year do you think that the grade boundaries are going to go up or down?
I need a high B to get an A* overall. I counted and got 50 marks :/. Really concerned tbh

much easier than last year's, I'd say around 55-60 for an A?

realised i misinterpreted the second 6 marker, i talked about upgrading the cores and cache but then went on about clock chips even though it wasn't in his computer specification oops

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Undec

I think it will probably be similar to last year's because it seems that people found it easier than last year's, BUT like you said, more candidates are taking it and so it isn't just the smart private schools anymore :smile:
I'm sure you'll get an A* overall! :h:
That algorithm question was hell, same with the bitmap image and the question on sound ugh
Reply 199
I WAS LOVING THAAT PAPER i was legit like smiling throughout until the last question........

they pulled arrays on us
i like SPECIFICALLY didnt revise arrays or anything bc i thought the algorithm wont be arrays bc it was last yr

my algorithm was so bad i drew a flow chart too lol if i get 3/6 marks on that will be surprised

what's everyone saying for the boundaries??

Hope an A* is 65 or lower
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending