Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Latin Beauty)
    Tupac was the first one to really help me learn how to make songs that felt like something.

He was a superstar in every aspect of the word.

he was so good at putting the right words and music together.

It was true genius.

u telling me this is somebody whos better than tupac....saying all that? lmao

but yo Youngmetro sales mean everything....but its not the only thing....thats what music is about money/sales....if u dont want that u can go check out some underground ish cuz thats what rap is about...its always been about that
    The bit underlined sums it up perfectly tbh

It's hard to talk about sales in Tupacs case. He was assassinated for starters and his best album ended being a compilation album of his greatest hits. Plus Tupac was 90s where it was raw street music whereas Eminem was making music in the 2000s where he had Dr Dre helping him promote music using the media and his own label to turn Eminem into a rockstar status. Yet even then, here we are comparing the two.
    Of course sales do matter at the end of the day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Youngmetro)
    The bit underlined sums it up perfectly tbh

It's hard to talk about sales in Tupacs case. He was assassinated for starters and his best album ended being a compilation album of his greatest hits. Plus Tupac was 90s where it was raw street music whereas Eminem was making music in the 2000s where he had Dr Dre helping him promote music using the media and his own label to turn Eminem into a rockstar status. Yet even then, here we are comparing the two.
    Of course sales do matter at the end of the day
    lmaoo right let the groupies know

ReputationRep:
    A toss up of midnight mauranders, Aquemini and the infamous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    True true

Posted from TSR Mobile
    sorry to break it to you but Eminem isn't the rap god mane

ReputationRep:
    B4.DA.$$

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trillinhomie)
    sorry to break it to you but Eminem isn't the rap god mane
    Hes extremely overated fam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlmightyJesus)
    the newest "good" rap album is tyler the creator's goblin - people are going crazy for kendrick lamar and honestly I don't see the appeal
    Bruh Tylers bad and overrated and goblin came out like 3 years ago you domt know anything tfo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey Badmonn)
    Bruh Tylers bad and overrated and goblin came out like 3 years ago you domt know anything tfo.
    what "great" rap album came out in the last 5 years? and from which artist that I haven't already covered? mediocre doesn't count as good btw

ReputationRep:
    what "great" rap album came out in the last 5 years? and from which artist that I haven't already covered? mediocre doesn't count as good btw
    B4.DA.$$, Oxymoron Good, kid maad city, Acid rap, XXX, Yeezus, TPAB, When its dark out, These things happen, Summertime 06, Run the jewels 2, My name is my name and IDLSIDGO

ReputationRep:
    You know nothing, just wait till ice jj fish drops his album.

ReputationRep:
    B4.DA.$$, Oxymoron Good, kid maad city, Acid rap, XXX, Yeezus, TPAB, When its dark out, These things happen, Summertime 06, Run the jewels 2, My name is my name and IDLSIDGO
    1) acid rap maybe, good kid maad city possibly
    2) lmao yeezus? I said "not mediocre" - kanye west and his wife can kiss my bum
    3) as for the others, I tend not to spend too much effort listening to rap albums that don't have much acclaim compared to the albums I've already listened, e.g. enter the wu tang, illmatic etc so I wouldn't know about those.

at least you didn't use chief keef or lil wayne or even eminem as your examples (I half expected you to because many people usually do - although eminem isn't terrible)

ReputationRep:
    1992 The Chronic, Illmatic, Reasonable Doubt, Liquid Swords, Enter the Wu-Tang, The Blueprint, MBDTF, AmeriKKKa's most wanted.

ReputationRep:
    Yeezus.

ReputationRep:
    3) as for the others, I tend not to spend too much effort listening to rap albums that don't have much acclaim compared to the albums I've already listened, e.g. enter the wu tang, illmatic etc so I wouldn't know about those.

at least you didn't use chief keef or lil wayne or even eminem as your examples (I half expected you to because many people usually do - although eminem isn't terrible)
    Fair enough, eminems old stuffs pretty good but hes too overrated imo, i havent listened to much chief keef tbf and lil wayne itsnt too bad tbf never listened to a full album

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilUziVert)
    1992 The Chronic,
    yes

Illmatic,
    yes

Reasonable Doubt,
    no

Liquid Swords,
    yes

Enter the Wu-Tang,
    definitely

The Blueprint,
    again, no - jay z really isn't that good imo. better than kayne though, obviously.

MBDTF,
    ?

AmeriKKKa's most wanted.
    ?x2

what about snoop dogg's the dogg pound? some might say life after death too but meh

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, eminems old stuffs pretty good but hes too overrated imo, i havent listened to much chief keef tbf and lil wayne itsnt too bad tbf never listened to a full album
    lil wayne isn't terrible too if we're talking about individual tracks, as opposed to his whole discography. chief keef is just a bad lyricist comprehensively in my opinion but again a lot of people seem to think differently. an another overrated rapper is wiz kalifa (I'm probably spelling that wrong) - I don't even think he has individually good tracks, like lil wayne. I think he's pretty much awful across the board. with eminem, his old material is actually very good but his newest work, overall, isn't brilliant except for certain tracks (e.g. I think rap god's quite good)

ReputationRep:

Chief keef does drill rap, kinda like our grime scene but for some part in America and people do really like it.

ReputationRep:
    Summertime 06, Tetuso and Youth, SS3, Oxymoron

ReputationRep:
    yes

yes

no

yes

definitely

again, no - jay z really isn't that good imo. better than kayne though, obviously.

?

?x2

what about snoop dogg's the dogg pound?
    What about carter 4 ? Too this day it's one of He best albums in hip hop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Youngmetro)
    Chief keef does drill rap, kinda like our grime scene but for some part in America and people do really like it.
    some grime is actually quite decent, I won't lie. but yeah, I don't think chief keef writes good lyrics

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.