Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should schools alter changing rooms, toilets + uniforms to accommodate trans pupils? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should schools alter changing rooms, toilets + uniforms to accommodate trans pupils?
    Yes
    36.15%
    No
    63.85%

ReputationRep:
    Yes, lets change things for a tiny percentage of the population and pay millions of pounds for restrooms that will never be used.

Do you have a ****? go to the toilet which is designed to accommodate you (male toilets) do you have a vag? go to the female toilet. WHY IS THIS SO HARD.

I swear this is special snow flake culture, should we have a toilet for gay people too? what about separating lesbians and gays? should lesbians go to male toilets and gays go to female toilets? what about changing rooms? what if someone is "genderfluid" and switches back and forth? hmmm black and white people are different, why don't we separate them up, i mean it's only logical? what about religions? where do we draw the line when the first proposal is drawing the line that is so blurry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNote)
    Yes, lets change things for a tiny percentage of the population and pay millions of pounds for restrooms that will never be used.

Do you have a ****? go to the toilet which is designed to accommodate you (male toilets) do you have a vag? go to the female toilet. WHY IS THIS SO HARD.

I swear this is special snow flake culture, should we have a toilet for gay people too? what about separating lesbians and gays? should lesbians go to male toilets and gays go to female toilets? what about changing rooms? what if someone is "genderfluid" and switches back and forth? hmmm black and white people are different, why don't we separate them up, i mean it's only logical? what about religions? where do we draw the line when the first proposal is drawing the line that is so blurry.
    Oh my god stop. All we're asking is to feel safe and comfortable going to the toilet or getting changed why is this so difficult to comprehend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlteredBoy)
    Oh my god stop. All we're asking is to feel safe and comfortable going to the toilet or getting changed why is this so difficult to comprehend?

I want all girls and boys to feel safe without having someone of the opposite sex walk into their toilets, the reality is that you represent a tiny minority, so tiny that even in the largest schools there will only be between 15 and 20 trans students, so now you want another room dedicated to 1% of the population? why should we waste money on that? and if you don't want another room then whats the difference with what you have now? just go to the room designed for your current waste disposing organs.

Instead you should be addressing the the problem at it's root, the bigoted views passed down by parents, this would help also address the homophobia problems and other problems involving minorities and mental disabilities.

and in response to your question of "why shouldn't transsexuals change sex" then maybe you should check out the suicide rates for before and after transitions, people with gender dysphoria should be treated as mental patients and not have their disability encouraged. We don't for example encourage anorexia patients to get surgery to make them look skinny so they are happy, so why should we do the same for gender dysphoria, encouraging a delusion, which is exactly what it is, is not healthy for the person, and I am sorry that feminists and the left have ideologically put the lives of trans people at risk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNote)
    Did i hurt your feelings?

I want all women and boys to feel safe without having someone of the opposite sex walk into their toilets, the reality is that you represent a tiny minority, so tiny that even in the largest schools there will only be between 15 and 20 trans students, so now you want another room dedicated to 1% of the population? why should we waste money on that? and if you don't want another room then whats the difference with what you have now? just go to the room designed for your current waste disposing organs.

Instead you should be addressing the the problem at it's root, the bigoted views passed down by parents, this would help also address the homophobia problems and other problems sexual minorities face.
    I agree that education is one way this problem could be solved, yes. As I've said previously, I wouldn't expect all schools to do it straight away, just when they're having a structural refurbishment or when new ones are being built. I do want another room, this is my argument. The difference with what I have now is the fact that I wouldn't have to wait until I get home to have a pee and not worry about what might happen when I walk out. All the sixth form and staff know that I identify as male, so do you not think they'd feel uncomfortable when a man walks into a women's bathroom?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlteredBoy)
    I agree that education is one way this problem could be solved, yes. As I've said previously, I wouldn't expect all schools to do it straight away, just when they're having a structural refurbishment or when new ones are being built. I do want another room, this is my argument. The difference with what I have now is the fact that I wouldn't have to wait until I get home to have a pee and not worry about what might happen when I walk out. All the sixth form and staff know that I identify as male, so do you not think they'd feel uncomfortable when a man walks into a women's bathroom?
    I still don't see the problem with using the toilets of your current genitalia, an extra room will take up space and be barely used, you could make and argument to say that disabled toilets should be allowed to be used by trans people as well, since then you are widening the audience and normally disabled toilets are just 1 stall and aren't exactly always in use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeimIX)
    It is illogical too refute or resign your gender. Plain and simple.
    Nobody is 'refuting' or 'resigning' their gender though. Some people's gender just doesn't match their biological sex. See gender dysphoria.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilyRobinson)
    I personally disagree with this. I am a trans woman (born male but identify as female). As I kid I fit in with the lads quite well and by all outward appearance, how I dressed and acted I was a stereotypical lad and in all honesty, how I dress and act and what I like has not changed much since then. I never felt I identified with the male gender though. I can't pinpoint as to why I don't but I don't. Since starting transitioning, especially starting on hormones I have become a happier and more productive member of society and as I have said. For the most part I haven't really changed.

My dysphoria was never associated to me having interests that didn't stereotypically correspond to my birth sex. My dysphoria was merely due to me not identifying as male, why I don't identify as male I don't know. But being viewed as male, having a body that was physically male caused me a lot of distress, I was very depressed and sometimes my dysphoria surfaced as quite strong anger. I really would not go back and even if gender stereotypes are erased from society, I still doubt I would have ever been happy being male.
    It's good to hear from you because I've had views roughly along these lines for a while and I think it's important for me to get input from trans individuals. Unfortunately I don't feel I'm close enough to any of my trans friends to discuss this sort of thing without risking offense.

The main question I'd like to ask is what it would mean to identify as of the male gender (for example) in a society where masculinity and other traditionally 'male traits' were no longer associated with or expected from the male biological sex? I'm struggling to comprehend what this would mean, since I would expect the concept of gender to dissolve along with such associations.

I personally don't really know what to make of my gender. I had never viewed it as at all distinct from biological sex until a conversation with a friend a couple of years ago. But that was more because I didn't actually realise there was a difference in definition (i.e. I wasn't familiar with the concept of gender as distinct from biological sex) than because the gender I identified as matched my sex. I didn't identify as any gender in particular, I just assumed I was male because that's my sex and I thought 'sex' and 'gender' referred to an identical concept. Now I am familiar with the distinction, I just try to avoid giving my gender in all possible situations because I don't really know what to make of it. I don't 'identify' with any particular category and I don't particular want an extra (unnecessary, in my view) label to describe me. I can't envisage any situations at all in which it would matter in the slightest what gender I felt best described me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implication)
    Nobody is 'refuting' or 'resigning' their gender though. Some people's gender just doesn't match their biological sex. See gender dysphoria.
    Hmm, kk, I just know that being Transgender or thinking you're another sex is a mental disorder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeimIX)
    Hmm, kk, I just know that being Transgender or thinking you're another sex is a mental disorder.
    They don't think they are another sex though! That's kind of what I'm trying to tell you. There's a difference between gender and sex, and transgenderism is where your gender doesn't correspond to your biological sex. It isn't a mental disorder in itself, but the medical condition associated with it is called gender dysphoria. It's very distressing for trans individuals to deal with, and a bit of compassion could go a long way.

ReputationRep:
    The PC brigade will have about 8 different changing rooms by the time they are done.

Waiting for the incoming "Social Anxiety" changing rooms for those who struggle to get changed in front of others. My school was already short on facilities, and i would have been annoyed to see the already limited resources around the PE department thinned further for something as irrelevant as this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implication)
    They don't think they are another sex though! That's kind of what I'm trying to tell you. There's a difference between gender and sex, and transgenderism is where your gender doesn't correspond to your biological sex. It isn't a mental disorder in itself, but the medical condition associated with it is called gender dysphoria. It's very distressing for trans individuals to deal with, and a bit of compassion could go a long way.
    Compassion yes, mental disorders should be treated as mental disorders - pandering and surgery, no.

ReputationRep:
    Education, yes. Bathrooms/changing rooms, no? That takes money/capital budget. They should go in the bathroom of their sex. Once they make the sexual change, yes go to the bathroom of their new sex.

You can't just have men in wigs strolling to the girl's room and girls with baggy pants strolling in the men's room!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JG1233)
    The PC brigade will have about 8 different changing rooms by the time they are done.

Waiting for the incoming "Social Anxiety" changing rooms for those who struggle to get changed in front of others. My school was already short on facilities, and i would have been annoyed to see the already limited resources around the PE department thinned further for something as irrelevant as this.
    Lol exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaz W)
    Compassion yes, mental disorders should be treated as mental disorders - pandering and surgery, no.
    So much this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    So much this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol you think gender dysphoria is a mental disorder?

I mean...dysphoria...is a mental disorder, so...that can only mean one thing, can't it?

ReputationRep:
    Seems like a complete waste of money and will be prone to exploitation.
    In my old school of 300 in the year - nobody was openly transgender so the facility will be unlikely to be used.
    Also what's stopping creeps who claim to be transgender just going into these toilets and harassing people sexually?
    Seriously not everyone can feel comfortable about things - did I like getting changed for p.e. in front of everyone? No, but I dealt with it.
    Cons outweigh the pros

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissMay)
    Lol you think gender dysphoria is a mental disorder?

I mean...dysphoria...is a mental disorder, so...that can only mean one thing, can't it?
    Shop lifting in the USA is classed as a disorder as a psychologist I'm taught to think critically.

This is my own thought I don't just look at dsm v or icd 10 and go yup that's true

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Trans is simply the outcome of failed parenting. Further implementation of this flawed notion more generally in society - such as promoting bloody 'gender neutral facilities' - will further propagate the idea that this not a mental health issue and that these people don't actually need help. Lets start helping these people solve their problem, not just letting them live with it - that is what a truly empathetic society would do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Shop lifting in the USA is classed as a disorder as a psychologist I'm taught to think critically.

This is my own thought I don't just look at dsm v or icd 10 and go yup that's true

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well I agree it's a disorder even though I don't know what dsm v or icd 10 is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissMay)
    Well I agree it's a disorder even though I don't know what dsm v or icd 10 is.
    Diagnostic and Statistical manual 5 and International classification of diseases 10.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.