Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    You know, if in having a debate about Islam you feel you must divert it to a debate about what shape the earth is, it says a lot about how little confidence you have in your views.
    I'm not Muslim.
    We already dealt with your dumb topic there's about two things that can be said about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeastOfSyracuse)
    What is most ironic is that you are so thick you don't even understand Asimov's essay and the point he makes about comparative beliefs being relatively "more correct". Thus you attack me for colloquially saying the earth is a sphere rather than an oblate spheroid and assert that thus I know less than people who believed in a flat earth.

This is extremely funny insofar as it proves you don't even grasp the essay you cite. Anyway, we're all done now. Go away troll
    Funny, you call me a troll and stupid it's just an admission you are wrong. I point out the simple fact you criticise Arabs for not understanding science when you don't understand the shape of the Earth and suddenly i'm a troll.

ReputationRep:
    You know, if in having a debate about Islam you feel you must divert it to a debate about what shape the earth is, it says a lot about how little confidence you have in your views.
    He seemed quite upset that I pointed out the ludicrousness of modern Muslims believing in a flat earth. He started babbling about how I colloquially called the earth a sphere rather than oblate spheroid.

He seems genuinely quite attached to the flat earth idea and is personally offended that I ridiculed it. This is all pretty irrelevant but I did find this comment of his hilarious;

there are legitimate scientific arguments to be made for flat Earth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Virgili)
    X
    The troll doesn't understand the word colloquial. But the troll doesn't understand science either. This comment of yours was hilarious;

there are legitimate scientific arguments to be made for flat Earth

ReputationRep:
    The troll doesn't understand the word colloquial. But the troll doesn't understand science either. This comment of yours was hilarious;
    It means informal, I don't believe in flat earth and you are the one who doesn't understand the scientific method. I'll finish with this
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good you are at chess the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it’s victorious."

You can insult me 2000 times to 2000 people you are still wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Virgili)
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good you are at chess the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it’s victorious."
    That is certainly how I'd characterise debating with an idiot who believes there are legitimate arguments to be made in favour of a flat earth. Anyway, I'm out. But feel free to have the last word

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Attempt)
    I made the mockery of your delusional comment about Islam's contribution to Science and it's History, because as a person who has been studying Abrahamaic theology for half a decade, it's safe to say that the only scientific contributions that the religion of Islam has made to the world is time travel.

In the sense that anyone who takes the religion seriously gets transported back to the 7th century, where ideas of the earth being flat and the urine of camels being medicinal weren't completely out of order.
    But it's okay to drink your own urine, as some civilised Europeans have started doing nowadays. What sort of argument is this??

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I made the mockery of your delusional comment about Islam's contribution to Science and it's History, because as a person who has been studying Abrahamaic theology for half a decade, it's safe to say that the only scientific contributions that the religion of Islam has made to the world is time travel.
    :lol: I missed that comment when you made it. The way you expressed that is hilarious, hope you don't mind if I use it myself

ReputationRep:
    Oppose fundamentalist Islam, by bringing attention to its problems.
    Very fair, would you align yourself with the likes of Majid Nawaz in that respect?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasminkattan)
    But it's okay to drink your own urine, as some civilised Europeans have started doing nowadays. What sort of argument is this??

The difference is one was recommended by a supposed religious figure and "mercy unto mankind" the other wasn't.

You figure it out

ReputationRep:
    :lol: I missed that comment when you made it. The way you expressed that is hilarious, hope you don't mind if I use it myself

Yeah if you want.

You can choose to reference me when you use it if you want as well.

ReputationRep:
    The difference is one was recommended by a supposed religious figure and "mercy unto mankind" the other wasn't.

You figure it out
    Because it has many benefits. That's really not a criticism, it was used as a treatment for many things.

ReputationRep:
    Because it has many benefits. That's really not a criticism, it was used as a treatment for many things.

I suppose your mother drinks it as well right?

ReputationRep:
    The same arguments being discussed above as years ago on TSR daily.

I actually lol'd.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are you really defending the drinking of camel urine?

ReputationRep:
    I'm really relating this culture of freedom of thought back to the enlightenment of the 17th/18th/19th centuries.

People started to question religion and also to investigate the natural world. Even though religion told them earth was the centre of the universe, and they had other similarly backward explanations for a variety of physical phenomenon, they started to question these explanations.

The beginnings of physics, chemistry, etc was very much related to this opening of free thought. And it has simply expanded exponentially from there.

There are still many people in the Islamic world who believe the earth is flat. To start to evolve and develop, you need to question those religious explanations and this will open you up to beginning to investigate the natural world. That in turn develops your science, which leads to technology.

Another example; look at Singapore. In 1945 it was extremely poor, its people had a standard of living similar to Africa. But since 1945 it has developed and despite having no natural resources, no oil, no gas and very little land, they built up their society. Compare that to countries which are rich in natural resources like Venezuela. While Singapore obviously has progress to make on the political front, they have always been very open in terms of the sciences and they have excellent universities. That is where prosperity begins and it shows that your mindset can matter as much if not more than your natural resources
    Please show me where the Qur'an says the earth is flat. No one in the Islamic world believes the earth is flat, no scholar will ever say such a stupid thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    Are you really defending the drinking of camel urine?
    I'm not defending murder, calm down.

ReputationRep:
    Please show me where the Qur'an says the earth is flat. No one in the Islamic world believes the earth is flat, no scholar will ever say such a stupid thing.
    Earth is described as flat in the qur'an? Lol.

We might as well all join the flat earth society. :ahee::ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatima1998)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    is there's anything left i haven't seen against Muslims
    Doesn't this kind of thing bother you?
    Or is it just a case of Not True Muslim™?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.