Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Stop talking our country down, we can do whatever we want! In fact, we'll get them to pay us money instead! When we have world class political heavy weights like Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage representing Britannia we will surely soar!
    I like your irony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Stop talking our country down, we can do whatever we want! In fact, we'll get them to pay us money instead! When we have world class political heavy weights like Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage representing Britannia we will surely soar!
    Hah, and we'll get Mexico to pay for the wall!

ReputationRep:
    Nothing will happen when we leave and we will leave...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    I think there will be more people affected than you think. Uncertainity immediately after a vote to leave would spook the markets and cause the pound to go down making imports like oil more expensive. We have already seen that at the petrol station with petrol going pass the £1 mark when the pound went down against the dollar.

The biggest problem is if a few large companies moved from the UK or reduced their investments here, there will be job losses and its not clear if the remaining companies can pick up the slack. There will be an incentive for the EU to favour EU companies for business and big iprojects like building new roads that would put UK based companies at a disadvantage.

The temptation would be for UK companies to move to the EU or at least move a large chuck of their business to the EU but because the UK would not be in the EU, the employees have no automatic right to move with their company to the EU.
    What is it with this meme of equating the Single Market with the EU? One is does not have to be a prerequisite of the other--Norway does it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guls)
    Why would the UK still pay money to the EU after leaving it???
    As a punishment for leaving, we can't just leave and get everything we want, anyone who believes that is an idiot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoorBastward)
    Nothing will happen when we leave and we will leave...
    It's far more likely for a remain vote no matter how much people like me wish we would leave.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by L i b)
    Things would get noticeably a little bit *****er in almost every way. That's the depressing part of it - it wouldn't be a disaster, it'd just be a bit rubbish.

We'd look isolated internationally. But I don't think many people really care too much about that.
    We'd be more open to trade - we're currently not allowed to negotiate our own trade deals and if countries want to trade with us they have to negotiate a deal with the whole EU.

We'd still be in the EEA and a member of the EEC so not a lot would change.
    The EEA includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. It allows them to be part of the EU's single market.
    The European Economic Area provides for the free movement of persons, goods, services and capital within the internal market.

Nothing would change between Ireland and Britain either, apart from maybe a bit of trade but that wouldn't really change.

I think the thing is how similar this was to the European Single Currency. We had almost the same arguments being thrown at us, we left and hardly anything changed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    It's far more likely for a remain vote no matter how much people like me wish we would leave.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not really considering the last ICM poll put 'Leave' 3 points ahead..
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    By the way, have you voted in the TSR General Election? It's great craic.
    Be warned, however, the parties are not very similar to that of RL, so read the manifestos carefully.

See my signature to get the link

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    India has the seventh largest economy in the world.
    In terms of nominal GDP, yes but Not in terms of Purchasing power parity, if you did economics you'd know that GDP adjusted for PPP is more accurate than real GDP, let alone nominal GDP which is too an extent useless unless you plan to adjust it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    In terms of nominal GDP, yes but Not in terms of Purchasing power parity, if you did economics you'd know that GDP adjusted for PPP is more accurate than real GDP, let alone nominal GDP which is too an extent useless unless you plan to adjust it
    LOL! You got some brass ones kid. I've studied plenty of economics at university level over the years. I'm not some 12 year old. Size of economies are measured in GDP or even GDP per cap - not "GDP adjusted for PPP"

ReputationRep:
    Pfft PPP means nothing in international trade.

ReputationRep:
    LOL! You got some brass ones kid. I've studied plenty of economics at university level over the years. I'm not some 12 year old. Size of economies are measured in GDP or even GDP per cap - not "GDP adjusted for PPP"
    So you rank economies based on nominal data? There's a few issues with that, GDP per cap is more about the standard of living not the economy's performance as a whole

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marrow)
    Pfft PPP means nothing in international trade.
    Lol it's kind of the reason PPP came about

ReputationRep:
    So you rank economies based on nominal data? There's a few issues with that, GDP per cap is more about the standard of living not the economy's performance as a whole
    Look. Just piss off and stop arguing needlessly. In terms of size of the economy GDP and (less frequently GDP per cap) is the conventional standard.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What the hell mate your 31 piss off what are you doing here.

ReputationRep:
    betting shops have the stay 5 to 2 on and leave 2to1 against but was wrong with election and I hope there wrong with this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Badman Pingu)
    What the hell mate your 31 piss off what are you doing here.
    What on earth does my age have to do with anything? I'm 32 in 3 weeks if that angers you even more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cameronl99)
    Not really considering the last ICM poll put 'Leave' 3 points ahead..
    That is one poll also when you look at referendums across the world the status quo nearly always wins.

I'm an out voter but I refuse to accept all the stupid comments I hear from both sides

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Look. Just piss off and stop arguing needlessly. In terms of size of the economy GDP and (less frequently GDP per cap) is the conventional standard.
    Don't get your pants in a twist just because you made a pathetic point by ranking an economy in nominal terms. It seems like you need a lesson on why we have PPP GDP and why it's more accurate in stating economic performance than unadjusted nominal data.

Bottom line is India produces the 3rd largest amount of goods and services. Period. If you reply with a further argument you are mentally incapable of accepting facts.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.