Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA A2 MM2B Mechanics 2 – 27th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martin9808)
    Yes it's 2root gl definitely
    I'm genuinely tired of people strongly asserting that incorrect corrects are 'definitely' correct. Did you even consider why it might be wrong? It's wrong, so no idea what your definition of 'definitely' is. Look up conditions for full revolutions and be amazed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    for the expression of r in the earlier question, was c= 5i-5j?
    wasn't it c = 3i - 3j

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    I swear it was root5lg, there was a similar question to that in one of past papers, I think it was after finding expression for T and we had to make T=0
    It was . Dw about the people that disagree.

ReputationRep:
    Did everyone get some weird stuff for the vertical circular motion before the 2rootlg or root5lg question? The tension ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forestspirit)
    wasn't it c = 3i - 3j
    Yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    Did everyone get some weird stuff for the vertical circular motion before the 2rootlg or root5lg question? The tension ones
    Yeah some strange answers 😂 Can't imagine how frustrated the examiners must be marking it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jm098)
    Yeah some strange answers 😂 Can't imagine how frustrated the examiners must be marking it
    Those m,g,u,l expressions were ugly as hell lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forestspirit)
    wasn't it c = 3i - 3j
    oh yeah i think i wrote that, i just remember them both being the same and one being positive and the other negative

when t=0, what did it say the displacement was? do you remember?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    I'm genuinely tired of people strongly asserting that incorrect corrects are 'definitely' correct. Did you even consider why it might be wrong? It's wrong, so no idea what your definition of 'definitely' is. Look up conditions for full revolutions and be amazed.
    Lool mate , it's 2 root gl I'd love to see the look on your face when you realize this

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah i think i wrote that, i just remember them both being the same and one being positive and the other negative

I think 3i - 5j... pretty certain

ReputationRep:
    Thought it was 2root(ag) as well, it's definitely (I think) root(5ag) cause if you put 2root(ag) into the equation for centripetal force at the top, it gives you a negative tension which is impossible, realising this leads you to root(5ag).

ReputationRep:

8.20 metres rings a bell

ReputationRep:
    Obligatory Mechanics post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqPNK4wE7jw

ReputationRep:
    Is this the method that anyone else used for Q8? Not sure where I went wrong.

No KEs to consider first of all. Now by conservation of energy,

GPE+EPE before = GPE+EPE+Work after

Taking x to be the distance from A when next at rest, height for GPE is x/2. (xsin30.)
    This is taking the 0 GPE level to be at the point when next at rest.

EPE is for one string, since extension 0 for one string, extension 5 for the other so EPE from that string.

Because of our choice of GPE level, GPE=0 after.

EPE after is total of the two EPEs for both strings, so with extension of x in one of them and extension of x-6 in another.

Work found by x multiplied by coefficient of friction multiplied by reaction force which is mgcos30.

Then I got two answers, chose the larger one, added 4 (got 7.05m).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph-carys)
    I think 3i - 5j... pretty certain
    that was the initial position, so when you integrate the velocity to get the displacement and set t=0, you get 3i - 5j = -2j + c, so c = 3i - 3j

ReputationRep:
    Just ignore it, people are bound to believe that what they have done is correct. I got u > 2\sqrt{gl} in the exam but have since realised that this expression is wrong as the tension at the top of the circle could be negative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jm098)
    Oh **** I think they'd ecf it though
    You think? Well, that'd be nice but given the way the mark schemes work I'm likely not to get any marks . Hoping for some sympathy from the examiner...

ReputationRep:
    Is this the method that anyone else used for Q8? Not sure where I went wrong.

No KEs to consider first of all. Now by conservation of energy,

GPE+EPE before = GPE+EPE+Work after

Taking x to be the distance from A when next at rest, height for GPE is x/2. (xsin30.)
    This is taking the 0 GPE level to be at the point when next at rest.

EPE is for one string, since extension 0 for one string, extension 5 for the other so EPE from that string.

Because of our choice of GPE level, GPE=0 after.

EPE after is total of the two EPEs for both strings, so with extension of x in one of them and extension of x-6 in another.

Work found by x multiplied by coefficient of friction multiplied by reaction force which is mgcos30.

Then I got two answers, chose the larger one, added 4 (got 7.05m).
    Extension would be 6-X in the other string, but shouldn't affect your answer I don't think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martin9808)
    Lool mate , it's 2 root gl I'd love to see the look on your face when you realize this
    Yep, you're one of those people. Think you're always right even in the face of a clear proof that you're incorrect. I'm expecting you to mysteriously stop posting when you understand the correct method .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjsnyder)
    Extension would be 6-X in the other string, but shouldn't affect your answer I don't think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep shouldn't because of the square.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.