Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Yeah not a long-term cyclist, I'm only just getting into duration cycling really - though I rowed previously. I definitely had my seat waaay too high at first and lowering it has helped, I might lower it a bit more but it's incredibly hilly where I live and I don't want to transfer the problem to my knees instead as my bike is only 7-speed... :/

So to get some context to you guys, when you've finished a 2-3 hour ride does your back not ache at all? I.e. is it something I should negate entirely or is it something that I can reduce and also become more accustomed too. Personally the only thing that aches for me is my back, my legs are pretty strong so I have quite a high power:weight ratio though it slows me a bit on the climbs

Ok thanks for the tip! Yeah the idea of basing myself somewhere would be good, I've ridden with a rucksack before and again it was pretty *****ing on my spine
    I would expect a little bit of back ache if I was doing a distance significantly longer than I was used to (don't know if this is normal), which I think to be honest is not about my seat position etc but about my posture etc once I'm really fatigued and the fact that if a ride was unusually long I'd probably do a flatter ride which means less moving position, I find my arms/shoulders/back feel better if I'm switching from drops/hoods/bar frequently

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaronK)
    Lowering your cadence though won't do your lower back any favours.
    It will on bumpy roads though, as there will be more pressure being taken by my feet instead of my bum, no?

I'm only talking about when I'm on the flat, I agree grinding on hills wouldn't do me any favours

ReputationRep:
    It will on bumpy roads though, as there will be more pressure being taken by my feet instead of my bum, no?

I'm only talking about when I'm on the flat, I agree grinding on hills wouldn't do me any favours
    The more you grind though there's more stress on your lower back, and the force is absorbed by one or two pedal strokes instead of three or four. Although I suppose it depends how low is low for you, 80 is about as low as I'll ever go seated.

ReputationRep:
    The more you grind though there's more stress on your lower back, and the force is absorbed by one or two pedal strokes instead of three or four. Although I suppose it depends how low is low for you, 80 is about as low as I'll ever go seated.
    Yeah I mean ~80 as opposed to ~100 when the legs are just spinning around.. when I'm that high it just feels like I'm sitting on a saddle that's bouncing around, and that strains my back as it absorbs the shocks... I guess it's like comparing riding a horse without stirrups as opposed to with

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I mean ~80 as opposed to ~100 when the legs are just spinning around.. when I'm that high it just feels like I'm sitting on a saddle that's bouncing around, and that strains my back as it absorbs the shocks... I guess it's like comparing riding a horse without stirrups as opposed to with
    100rpm isn't all that high. If you're bouncing around at that cadence then your saddle height may be too low. I keep my cadence around 100-105 for flat/rolling terrain. And that analogy is so posh I didn't understand it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobsa)
    100rpm isn't all that high. If you're bouncing around at that cadence then your saddle height may be too low. I keep my cadence around 100-105 for flat/rolling terrain. And that analogy is so posh I didn't understand it.
    But if I raise my seat height it causes my hips to rock as I pedal and wrecks me even more..!

Ok, imagine sitting on your bike without putting your feet on the pedals, then go over a rough road haha - that's what I mean. At such high cadences I find it hard to put any force through the pedals, so all the shocks from the road go through my spine

ReputationRep:
    Weird bike part of the day, Shimano combo hydraulic brake/gear shifters, this particular model, Shimano Deore lx st-m585 has a thumb lever to shift down the rear cogs, but to go up, you have to push the brake lever down. It felt so unnatural to all of us in the workshop, and not very easy to not pull the brakes while shifting back up. They're also huge, can't have saved much if any weight over having separate pods.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone live in London? I live about 15 miles from central london, and wanted to do ride around london just kind of exploring the city (nice scenes and roads). How trafficky does it get there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I feel myself)
    Anyone live in London? I live about 15 miles from central london, and wanted to do ride around london just kind of exploring the city (nice scenes and roads). How trafficky does it get there?
    It's London. It's very trafficky.

ReputationRep:
    Lived there for 5 years. Some roads are really busy. Some are really quiet. On the whole, if you're sensible you'll be fairly safe. If you're nervous maybe try it reasonably early on a Sunday morning and get an idea for what the roads are like. (like before 10am would generally be quiet).

It's far from a death trap for riding bikes and as long as you don't want to go anywhere very fast it can be quite fun cycling around looking at the sights.

ReputationRep:
    My first road bike is being delivered at some point today, can't wait! So excited!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myblueheaven339)
    My first road bike is being delivered at some point today, can't wait! So excited!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What are you getting?

--

Does anyone know anything about knee pain? My right leg just above the knee, and part of the knee has been hurting for the past few weeks and I have no idea why. Most stuff that came up on google was about bike fits and cleats but I've been riding the same set up for at least 3 years and i've never had this problem before. Haven't changed my cleats for a good 6 months either. Urggggh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serentonin)
    What are you getting?

--

Does anyone know anything about knee pain? My right leg just above the knee, and part of the knee has been hurting for the past few weeks and I have no idea why. Most stuff that came up on google was about bike fits and cleats but I've been riding the same set up for at least 3 years and i've never had this problem before. Haven't changed my cleats for a good 6 months either. Urggggh.
    Liv (giant) avail 1 disc.

Knee pain could be IT band syndrome which is common in runners but no idea about whether or not it would affect cyclists.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myblueheaven339)
    Liv (giant) avail 1 disc.

Knee pain could be IT band syndrome which is common in runners but no idea about whether or not it would affect cyclists.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Let me know what you think, I might consider the male version. Seems pretty nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serentonin)
    What are you getting?

--

It might be due muscle tightness. I had tight hip muscles that were pulling my knee out of alignment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexs2602)
    Let me know what you think, I might consider the male version. Seems pretty nice.
    Will do! Has been delayed though due to all the rain and traffic issues so may have to wait a couple of days now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Very trafficky, but it's safe traffic since it's so slow moving compared to cars hurtling around country lanes - just stay off the pentonville ring road and watch out for cars pulling out, and pedestrians walking out from behind buses etc

ReputationRep:
    I fixed my back! Turned out the seat was still marginally too high, so I've dropped it a bit more and it's so much better

Only problem is that my knees/legs are picking up more strain as a result, since pedal strokes are starting from a greater angle.. but that's more a problem with me not having an 11-speed cassette
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    QFA
    Thoughts on higher import costs for a new Pinarello now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Thoughts on higher import costs for a new Pinarello now?
    Not good, I'm hoping aliexpress will still carry it now.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.