Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Britain has a culture?

ReputationRep:
    There are too many of us in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Britain has a culture?
    Yes and for those of you like yourself who only know London, you are not aware of it becasue it;s been eroded here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parx)
    Yes and for those of you like yourself who only know London, you are not aware of it becasue it;s been eroded here.
    I've only lived in London but that doesn't mean that I have no knowledge about the culture of the country I am living in.

ReputationRep:
    I was referring to the bigheaded Mr. Bill Gates.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-runners.html

Welcome to London! All the English running the marathon (and don't live in London), and the 'locals' of London degrading this country and regressing it.

ReputationRep:
    Well,I am a Hong Konger, and I have to say if u are living in hong Kong, u will be more unhappy, in Hong Kong everyone is indifferent, they don't smile, because we have lots of stresses. So I think u should be happy that u are living in the UK, at least Brits have a much fewer working hours and school times compared to Hong Kong.
    So don't be unhappy, be proud of yourself as being a Brit!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a foreign student, I come from a very 360/365 sunny dsys a year. And I don't think it's because of the weather. Not only. It's because of your way of life. Some people are colder than the weather. It's ******** hard to make friends out there, without drinking.
    I've got the experience of being in a train one day, going home from London. And a group of people where a bit drunk but happy and talkative etc... After, at their station I've realised that they didn't know each other. It was two different groups of people. And it made me think a bit. My teachers use to say, British are shy people. Are you shy guys? No really. I think that I've never heard another culture who young prospective university students are most scared of not finding friends. Why? I think that the UK is a great country, yes you're more open minded I must say. You should be proud. The immigrants who come down here and want to keep their culture absolutely are stupid and weird. It's impossible and impolite to do that. It's like dropping to someone place, that person tells you to take off your shoes and you decide not to because you don't do that at home! Because your home is just next door, so it's the same. I've worked in a place where 95% of the employees where foreigners. And they are not grateful. Critics British because they accept gay people or pay too much for their wedding. Wtf? I was silently shocked. It was too impolite to critics a country which gave you a better paid job, a house, a car, educate your children who where born here etc...
    For me they forgot that.
    I think British have just to stand out and talk. Stop accepting everything that happens to you, if you don't like a law. Say it, show it. I come from an island, ok it's much more smaller that the UK. But I can tell you that when they aren't happy about something, even private. They block everything. There's solidarity. So yes you're very work centred, you work a lot, and so get depressed as well. But there's good sides.

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree. I was in a train station at the coffee shop, run by a couple of really nice, friendly Eastern Europeans. In the queue in front of me was a sour old British lady, who, when she got to the counter, said in a laughably posh voice, "I want a lemon muffin." No please or thank you, just that. I've been to France, Spain and Italy, they're all such considerate, friendly people compared to the Brits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElsMoll)
    x
    And the weather is most likely the reason why brits evolved to be like that (as well as pale white skin, blue eyes, etc) Actually I think it was in a book about humoural theory, but I remember reading that blue eyes indicate a cooler, dryer inherited personality as opposed to brown eyes which indicate a warmer, more passionate type of person. That would definitely make sense IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Multiculturalism in Scotland guys! Looking good for the UK!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...an-pupils.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul Dirac)
    And the weather is most likely the reason why brits evolved to be like that (as well as pale white skin, blue eyes, etc) Actually I think it was in a book about humoural theory, but I remember reading that blue eyes indicate a cooler, dryer inherited personality as opposed to brown eyes which indicate a warmer, more passionate type of person. That would definitely make sense IMO.
    Can you remember where you read that? Sounds interesting

ReputationRep:
    I AM brasilian and my husband British. Living here for 2 years and I have no desire to wake up. Its very difficult to make friends here. After 1 year and 2 months I still waiting for my visa.And I can't work nor volunteer.I started to have abdominal pains.In one year I have seen 4 different doctors. They don't investigate what I have ,just give me laxatives.I asked for a colonoscopy or any imaging tests and they don't refer me.The NHS system is precarious. And despite of coming from a 3 rd world I was very happy there. The people are friendly with foreigner's and we can enjoy life in simplest way.my husband makes money here but we are in debts.rent is expensive,dentist is extremely expensive and I am planning to go back to Brazil and divorce him.can't cope this country anymore. English people are very formal even inside the walls of your own home.parents don't approach the children if they feel that they are sad.there is so much formalities.nobody talks about feelings,everybody pretends to be OK. I feel uncomfortable around his family.Everything is perfect when its not.lots of masks of happiness. I miss crying,talking ,venting and having someone to talk back.not here.British personality doest get emotional

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.