Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Tell me how you chose to be straight? I'm genuinely interested in how you chose your sexual preference

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animeamanda1412)
    I hope you get better luck when you use that brain of yours next time
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It would make your life much better
    I don't have a brain yet you're the one who thinks being gay is a choice.
    That's not the worst thing though... You like anime, you must be brain dead.

ReputationRep:
    I've always been a bit confused by this 'debate'.

I don't think it is a choice, but I don't think I'd approach the issue differently if it were a choice :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sacred Ground)
    I don't have a brain yet you're the one who thinks being gay is a choice.
    That's not the worst thing though... You like anime, you must be brain dead.
    You trying to say anime is childish? Then I would definitely recommend hentai for your kids!

ReputationRep:
    it's a fact that sexuality is not a choice. you can believe what you want, but the fact will always remain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    I think it's extremely fair to assume being gay is technically a genetic disorder, but if you word it like that people get incredibly offended for some reason. Despite the percentages of gay people in populations being similar to percentages of people with dominant allele genetic disorders.
    I suspect it's less about the use of the word 'disorder', and more about the loaded messages people try and embed into the term. I very rarely see people using the words 'gay' and 'disorder' in a manner that attempts to open up an actual discussion. In my experience, it's people with dogmatic views using loaded terms to try and poke other people with a stick. Both sides are certainly guilty of this, but the one who use the term 'disorder' so loosely usually accompany it with diatribe about encouraging discrimination and harmful interventions (e.g. ex-gay therapies).

To address the point regarding 'disorders', I think it relies too much on a narrowly focused view of biology. It's one thing to state that reproduction is the bedrock of our survival as a species, but it almost seems like amateur biology to simply make a sweeping remark like that without really considering anything beyond that. For example, there are theories being explored about whether homosexual animals within a species act as a 'safeguard' to protect the nurturing of an offspring. By having homosexuals within a species, this means that childless animals will 'adopt' babies whose parents have either abandoned them or been killed. It is something that is popularly observed within penguin colonies. Therefore, if we accept that homosexuals have that instinctual desire to nurture and are capable of doing so, then it's plausible that they're actually there for a clear purpose.

I'm certainly no expert in biology, evolution, anthropology etc, but it's a theory I do find particularly interesting regardless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TGS_Lila)
    I don't think people are naturally born homosexual, i think its a choice, you can agree or disagree.
    There was some rubbish theory that said all women were bisexual, it wasn't the same for males.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    im bi and love it more choice
    Which is fine but you are a lucky minority! .

ReputationRep:
    very naive thing to say lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sacred Ground)
    I understand what you're saying. Personally, I don't know anyone who is asexual; maybe that's why I haven't been exposed to the problems you encounter. However, I've seen homophobic remarks spouted around in everyday life.
    Could this ignorance regarding asexuality stem from lack of international celebrities identifying as asexual, do you think? Or is it merely lack of education regarding what asexuality actually is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think it's mostly just the fact that people seem to struggle with the idea that some of us just don't want sex. People tend to have the misconception that sex is required for a happy life and that if you're not "normal" there's something wrong with you. You know how they are, if they don't understand something they do their utmost to get rid of it.

ReputationRep:
    It's funny how religious people are convinced that homosexuality is a choice, but want to segregate on gender. I mean, if gays had chosen to be gay, perhaps putting women all around them would "cure" them... but no, women must be concealed, dormitories must be single-gender, etc.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    It's funny how religious people are convinced that homosexuality is a choice, but want to segregate on gender. I mean, if gays had chosen to be gay, perhaps putting women all around them would "cure" them... but no, women must be concealed, dormitories must be single-gender, etc.
    :rolleyes:
    perhaps instead of shouting at these people telling them they are wrong. Have you ever tried explaining it to them instead? Without using the word 'stupid' 'idiot'. It just makes your point seem irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunq)
    perhaps instead of shouting at these people telling them they are wrong. Have you ever tried explaining it to them instead? Without using the word 'stupid' 'idiot'. It just makes your point seem irrelevant.
    I didn't shout and use the words 'stupid' or 'idiot'. Learn to read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    I didn't shout and use the words 'stupid' or 'idiot'. Learn to read.
    I'm talking in general, have you ever used the english language other than directly reading?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    Which is fine but you are a lucky minority! .
    why lucky? lol

ReputationRep:
    Wtf is your logic behind this do you think people just randomly wake up one morning and are like "ooh yeah i know i'll start dating the same sex because i love not only the ****/vagina but also being discriminated against".... CLOWN.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    why lucky? lol
    Because you're content.

ReputationRep:
    No it's not. I would choose to be heterosexual anyday and I think the vast majority of LGBTQIA people would. You are wrong.
    If it makes you feel better bebs, I love gay men.

ReputationRep:
    Because you're content.
    oh haha yea

ReputationRep:
    You can choose to engage in homosexual behavior, but you can't choose to have homosexual attractions. While your life choices my influence your sexual development (as the expression of homosexuality is also influenced by environment), you can't just wake up one day and 'choose' to be a homosexual.

And to those saying you're born gay; that's not how it works. The science on the matter suggests some are born with a genetic predisposition to homosexuality, but other factors such as environment play an important role. If it was 100% genetic, identical twins (who share the same genes) would always both be homosexual.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.