Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by STEMisSuperior.)
    Says the 18 year old who's proclaimed himself to be 'That IB dude'

I dont see why i need proof to back the fact that there are far more STEM grads in a job in high finance than non STEM grads. If you want proof for something so obvious google it.
    Oh trust me I know more about this than you, but I didn't need to state that. Feel free to tell the people I've helped land IB jobs on this site that what advice I've given them is ********, sure they'll appreciate it.

You're making a claim, and using the word 'generally'.. It's quite clear that you need to back up what you're saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Ok, let's dismiss hiring tactics of finance firms because 'anecdotal evidence'. OP is the all knowing sage with many years of wisdom that he can just impart such resounding claims such as 'finance firms favour x subject' with no proof to back it up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Intelligent people can also be incredibly ignorant.

The OP has offers from Warwick and UCL indicating the former. He also thinks that studying Law largely amounts to memorising things and that doing a few Language modules on the back of a STEM course provides an equivalent level of knowledge to a full Languages BA.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Irrelevant, no substantation or not, what i have said is true.
    Yep. Standard.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Intelligent people can also be incredibly ignorant.

The OP has offers from Warwick and UCL indicating the former. He also thinks that studying Law largely amounts to memorising things and that doing a few Language modules on the back of a STEM course provides an equivalent level of knowledge to a full Languages BA.
    TL;DR OP is ignorant.

There's not much else to add.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh trust me I know more about this than you, but I didn't need to state that. Feel free to tell the people I've helped land IB jobs on this site that what advice I've given them is ********, sure they'll appreciate it.

You're making a claim, and using the word 'generally'.. It's quite clear that you need to back up what you're saying.
    you've got a real attitude problem here mate, fix it up quick. you may have more knowledge than me but it wouldnt take long for anyone to familiarise myself with this, just takes intuition and some googling.

so are you saying what im saying is wrong? Because if you claim to have as much knowledge as you claim you do then you would know that im not wrong. Or perhaps you arent as much of an expert as you think you are.

ReputationRep:
    TL;DR OP is ignorant.

There's not much else to add.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I took a hiatus after page 6 in favour of the Boaty Mcboatface thread.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    you've got a real attitude problem here mate
    Have you ever heard of the idiom "The pot calling the kettle black"?

ReputationRep:
    It's a representative sample, and much the same attitude is seen at any comparable investment banks.

Economics is hardly applicable lol.. Ask any banker whether what you learn in economics actually makes a difference on the job (besides obvious exceptions: fixed income desks) and the answer you'll get is no. Everyone heading into any of the major finance firms will be given firm wide training to introduce them into the ideas they need to do well on the job, the rest of the learning is by doing - not by comparing the affects of Keynesian vs Classical economics looool.

Your response sounds like you're answering an exam. And as exams go, you're making some awfully inaccurate assumptions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    OP was talking about the acquisition of the job, in which STEM is prevailing. My argument was pointing out the prevalence may not be necessarily due to the quality of degree but rather the quantity of STEM applications. If you arguing against the usefulness of STEM in banking/finance, why are you disagreeing with this?

For the training I think this really depends on how much the firm is willing to invest with regards to training people from the ground up or assuming some previous knowledge?

Either way, I'm pretty sure you can't be having a job banking without knowing what Net Present Value or IRR is, or even basic accounting concepts of Return on shareholders fund etc...all of this is first year undergraduate stuff. Certainly, you would need to mention this in your interview to at least show you have some interest?

Personally I've only done 1 year of undergrad so I can't speak for training programmes or interviews but surely some knowledge of the subject will certainly ease the process? Operation of Excel, in particular in this age?

You have also claimed "with obvious exceptions" for the amount of Economics related knowledge needed. Those are big and bold assumptions too, and I don't see how they are less daring than mine.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    you've got a real attitude problem here mate, fix it up quick. you may have more knowledge than me but it wouldnt take long for anyone to familiarise themselves with this, just takes intuition and some googling.

so are you saying what im saying is wrong? Because if you claim to have as much knowledge as you claim you do then you would know that im not wrong. Or perhaps you arent as much of an expert as you think you are.
    Oh crap, so you make a condescending comment about my age then you turn around and give me the 'you have an attitude problem' line? Wow, wonderful, next you'll tell me that I'm a delusional drama Queen named 'Alice'. Give up. Yeah, googling - not as if I've been networking with bankers for years, thanks for your input.

I'm saying show me the money. I don't care for wrong or right without any semblance of reasoning or data. All you've said thus far is 'STEM students have higher career prospects in finance', you haven't qualified that statement - which isn't even true.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What? I used this criteria, to which you said why is this the only suitable criteria. If you have a problem with the criteria then you have to amend. I cannot see any other criteria that can be used to assess it. If you have problem with the criteria, the burden is solely on you to suggest otherwise. Why would i go against what i said?
    But then I'm not the one claiming that either STEM or non-STEM subjects are objectively better than the other, nor did I claim that they are objectively equal. My assertion was not that there are necessarily better criteria out there, merely I was questioning why you would choose these criteria out of all possible criteria and why you think those criteria are objectively important. And quite frankly, if you couldn't think of any others, then that's a lack of imagination on your part.
    Seriously? If you're going to meticulously question it then that isnt my problem.
    If you can't respond with an adequate answer when people question your claims, it indicates that you haven't thought it through properly and that your argument doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

ReputationRep:
    Oh crap, so you make a condescending comment about my age then you turn around and give me the 'you have an attitude problem' line? Wow, wonderful, next you'll tell me that I'm a delusional drama Queen named 'Alice'. Give up. Yeah, googling - not as if I've been networking with bankers for years, thanks for your input.

I'm saying show me the money. I don't care for wrong or right without any semblance of reasoning or data. All you've said thus far is 'STEM students have higher career prospects in finance', you haven't qualified that statement - which isn't even true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Condescending? lool, you suggested i had years of experience in your own patronising comment. Keep using that tone of yours, great. Im sure you've been networking, thats great. Unlike you, im not going to take this opportunity to show off.

As you seem to say so often, google it., im not bothered right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comus)
    But then I'm not the one claiming that either STEM or non-STEM subjects are objectively better than the other, nor that they are objectively equal. My assertion was not that there are necessarily better criteria out there, merely I was questioning why you would choose these criteria out of all possible criteria and why you think those criteria are objectively important. And quite frankly, if you couldn't think of any others, then that's a lack of imagination on your part.
    Ive already said why i thought this criteria is good. If you think there's better ones, then tell me. It isnt difficult. Oh wait, you dont have any better ones.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by lecafe88)
    OP was talking about the acquisition of the job, in which STEM is prevailing. My argument was pointing out the prevalence may not be necessarily due to the quality of degree but rather the quantity of STEM applications. If you arguing against the usefulness of STEM in banking/finance, why are you disagreeing with this?

For the training I think this really depends on how much the firm is willing to invest with regards to training people from the ground up or assuming some previous knowledge?

Either way, I'm pretty sure you can't be having a job banking without knowing what Net Present Value or IRR is, or even basic accounting concepts of Return on shareholders fund etc...all of this is first year undergraduate stuff. Certainly, you would need to mention this in your interview to at least show you have some interest?

Personally I've only done 1 year of undergrad so I can't speak for training programmes or interviews but surely some knowledge of the subject will certainly ease the process? Operation of Excel, in particular in this age?

You have also claimed "with obvious exceptions" for the amount of Economics related knowledge needed. Those are big and bold assumptions too, and I don't see how they are less daring than mine.
    1. It's not an 'assumption' when it's directly from the horse's mouth of bankers I'm in contact with

2. Interview prep is done by everyone, it does not inherently favour one subject over another. How well you can grasp NPV or IRR isn't a distinction of whether you did Econ or not it's as a result of how fast you can process new information

3. Every major finance firm has a full time training scheme for 4-6 weeks prior to new starts hitting their desks. It's designed to introduce all new hires to the key concepts and skills needed to hit the ground running

4. I do agree with your over-representation of applications point, never said otherwise

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Condescending? lool, you suggested i had years of experience in your own patronising comment. Keep using that tone of yours, great. Im sure you've been networking, thats great. Unlike you, im not going to take this opportunity to show off.

As you seem to say so often, google it., im not bothered right now.
    It was sarcasm lol... Did not mean to 'patronise' anyone. You on the other hand specified certain features from my profile, which is much more condescending than a sarcastic comment about you not backing up your claims.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princepieman)
    you are so incredibly insecure op. I'm not even bothering addressing most of your points as the logic behind them is bs to start with.

Why is it that some stem students on tsr are by far the ones with the greatest chip on their shoulders and severe superiority complexes? My god, there are ceos with history degrees with greater earning potential than most stem students will have in their lives.

Learn to be more respectful and not boast about nonsense like this.

posted from tsr mobile
    F
    U
    C
    K
    I
    N
    G

D
    E
    S
    T
    R
    O
    Y
    E
    D

Name:  ****ING DESTROYED.png
Views: 57
Size:  272.9 KB

Rest in pieces, OP.

ReputationRep:
    you've got a real attitude problem here mate, fix it up quick. you may have more knowledge than me but it wouldnt take long for anyone to familiarise myself with this, just takes intuition and some googling.

You've got a real attitude problem here mate, fix it up quick. You may have more knowledge than me but it wouldn't take long for anyone to familiarise themselves with this, it just takes intuition and some googling.

So are you saying what I'm saying is wrong? Because if you have as much knowledge as you claim you do then you would know that I'm not wrong. Or perhaps you aren't as much of an expert as you think you are.

May I suggest an English course instead?

ReputationRep:
    Ive already said why i thought this criteria is good. If you think there's better ones, then tell me. It isnt difficult. Oh wait, you dont have any better ones.
    You may have argued why you think the criteria you've chosen are good - but that doesn't mean that you've shown that the selection of criteria is objective. You can't claim that Y is objectively better than X by choosing subjectively which criteria you think to be important.

There's a whole host of criteria one could choose, from the reasonable to the ridiculous, it doesn't necessarily make them objective.

ReputationRep:
    It was sarcasm lol... Did not mean to 'patronise' anyone. You on the other hand specified certain features from my profile, which is much more condescending than a sarcastic comment about you not backing up your claims.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    fair enough, not exactly possible for me to see you were sarcastic over the internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    You've got a real attitude problem here mate, fix it up quick. You may have more knowledge than me but it wouldn't take long for anyone to familiarise themselves with this, just takes intuition and some googling.

So are you saying what I'm saying is wrong? Because if you have as much knowledge as you claim you do then you would know that I'm not wrong. Or perhaps you aren't as much of an expert as you think you are.

May I suggest an English course instead?
    Its the internet, no one cares.

Nah, my 2 A*s in my english GCSEs will do just fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comus)
    You may have argued why you think the criteria you've chosen are good - but that doesn't mean that you've shown that the selection of criteria is objective. You can't claim that Y is objectively better than X by choosing subjectively which criteria you think to be important.

There's a whole host of criteria one could choose, from the reasonable to the ridiculous, it doesn't necessarily make them objective.
    You still havent given ANY criteria that is better for me to use. Im happy to address them but you havent presented me with anything better.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.