Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam_AFC)
    Yes to both questions. They made use the cosine rule and 0.5ABsinC for only 2 marks.
    I just used bh/2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoakenfull)
    You could split it into two right-angled triangles and use 0.5bh
    Or just one triangle on its side. I did (6*4)/2 = 12

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duskstar)
    My answers:

1. M^{-1}=\dfrac{1}{8+2p} \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 2 \\ -p & 8 \end{pmatrix}

A = \dfrac{4 \times 6}{2} = 12, \, |M| = 8 + 2 \times 3 = 14, \, \therefore A' = 168

2. -\dfrac{21}{29} + \dfrac{20}{29}i

a = \dfrac{8}{29}, \, b = \dfrac{38}{29}

3. \lambda = 3, \, \mu = 25

B^{-1} = \dfrac{1}{25}A = \dfrac{1}{25}\begin{pmatrix} 3 & 6 & -4 \\ 2 & 5 & -1 \\ -1 & 4 & 3 \end{pmatrix}

4. \mathrm{proof:} \, \displaystyle\sum_{r = 1}^{n} r^{2}(2r - p)

\mathrm{p s.t. coefficient on} n^3 == n^4, \, p = \dfrac{3}{2}

5. \mathrm{Argand diagram:}

C_{1}: |z+3-4i|=5, \, C_{2}: arg(z+3-6i) = \dfrac{\pi}{2}

\mathrm{intersection:} -3+9i
    6: \mathrm{proof \, by \, induction:}

u_{1} = 8, \, u_{n+1} = 3u_{n} + 2n + 5

\mathrm{RTS:} u_{n} = 4(3^{n}) - n - 3

\mathrm{I can write this out if we really need...}

7. f(z) = 2z^{4} - 9z^{3} + Az^{2} + Bz - 26

\alpha > \beta, \, \gamma \, \mathrm{and} \, \delta \, \mathrm{are \, imaginary}, \, \gamma = 3+2i

\mathrm{show} \, \alpha + \beta = -\dfrac{3}{2}

\alpha \beta = -1

\alpha = \dfrac{1}{2}, \, \beta = -2 \,\,\, \mathrm{(I \, think \, order \, will \, matter)}

A = 6, \, B = 51

\mathrm{find roots of} \, f(\dfrac{w}{i}) = 0 \Rightarrow z = \dfrac{w}{i}, \, \therefore w = zi

w = \dfrac{1}{2}i, \, -2i, \, 2 + 3i, \, -2 + 3i

8. y = \dfrac{3x^{2} - 9}{x^{2} + 3x - 4}

\mathrm{asymptotes:} x = 1, \, x = -4, \, y = 3

\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(y) = 3^{-}

\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow - \infty}(y) = 3^{+}

y \geq 0 \Leftrightarrow x < -4, \, - \sqrt{3} \leq x < 1, \, x \geq \sqrt{3}
    9. \dfrac{2r+5}{(2r-1)(2r+1)(2r+3)}=\dfrac{3}{4(2r-1)}-\dfrac{1}{2r+1}+\dfrac{1}{4(2r+3  )}

\mathrm{proof for} \, \displaystyle \sum_{1}^{n}

\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} = \dfrac{2}{3}

\displaystyle \sum_{20}^{50} = 000813

I forgot to halve the area in 1, and started writing 3/2 instead of 2/3 in 9 but apart from that it was alright
    Got all these answers. Didn't notice alpha>beta in q7 but I'm thinking I probably put them in the correct order anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Moon Man)
    More like 52 imo
    Where are you getting these grade boundaries from? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ♥Samantha♥)
    Got all these answers. Didn't notice alpha>beta in q7 but I'm thinking I probably put them in the correct order anyway.
    Cheers for that! I definitely wasn't quite on 100% but this is a confidence boost

Edit: Haha sorry about that, I was supposed to reply to what you replied to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshRyan74)
    Cheers for that! I definitely wasn't quite on 100% but this is a confidence boost
    Same here!

ReputationRep:
    Does it matter if u don't label the angle in the half line loci thing in the argand diagram?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSurrealTV)
    it was n=50-n=19 not 24
    i thought it was n=50 -n=20

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeroline1999)
    yeah same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duskstar)
    If that was the last part, then...

They gave you the sum \dfrac{45}{stuff} + ... + \dfrac{105}{stuff} so you had to work out the limits of the sum (2n_{1} + 5 = 45 \Rightarrow n_{1} = 20, \, 2n_{2} + 5 = 105 \Rightarrow n_{2} = 50), then use these and the formula to get the answer...

\displaystyle \sum_{r=20}^{50} u_{r} = \sum_{r=1}^{50} u_{r} - \sum_{r=1}^{19} u_{r}

\mathrm{plug numbers into your calculator...}

= 0.00813
    Gutted took away 20 not 19! do you think i will lose all four marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSurrealTV)
    Do you think 68 marks will be 100 UMS this year?
    4 I think
    I hope it's 68 for 100ums- that paper was so hard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeroline1999)
    Good news alway looking over past papers and on Jan 2010 there is the same type of question for 3 marks and you get M1 for splitting into parts then use of result from previous part so hopefully we will all just drop 1 or 2 out of 4 on that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoebeisgreat)
    I felt it was easier than last year and grade boundaries were 62 for A so I'm going to say a little higher maybe 69 or 70 for 100 UMS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoebeisgreat)
    If the world was just the A boundary would be like 50/72 for that paper. But the world isn't so no doubt it'll be like 60/72 for an A. By far the hardest FP1 Paper I've ever done, and I've song all of them from 2008 onwards! Also its so unfair, like just last night I got 69/72 in a past paper with like 96UMS and on this I'd be lucky to get a B let alone an A. I don't have confidence the boundaries will reflect how hard it was. Although you never know, the did get done to 48/72 in January 2013. If the A is between 48-52/72 I should be absolutely fine, but I reckon it'll be 58/72. I just have a hunch. Also I hate OCR MEI WHY IS MY SCHOOL JEOPARDISING MY FUTURE BY CHOOSING SUCH AN AWFUL EXAM BOARD?! I want EDEXCEL or AQA or even just normal OCR!!!!!!! I swear, if I don't end up getting an A in almost all my modules (C1, C2, C3, FP1, D1, M1 & S1) I'm gonna move school just so I can get edexcel.

ReputationRep:
    I got the wrong roots for alpha beta, then carried it through the whole of question 7, how many mark is that gone. I know I dropped at least 5 marks elsewhere on the paper due to carelessness. Will I get many error carried forward marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemari1)
    the asymptote was 1
    no it was 3 mate, 3x^2

ReputationRep:
    Guys for f (w/j) i got two out of the four roots correct, how much do you think i would lose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajvirnagi)
    no it was 3 mate, 3x^2
    true, what do you reckon the boundary will be for a b?

ReputationRep:
    I think, worst case scenario, I got about 54/72 best case scenario, about 59/72, what sort of grade am I looking at? Thought it was one of the most difficult fp1 papers yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcouchman)
    I think, worst case scenario, I got about 54/72 best case scenario, about 59/72, what sort of grade am I looking at? Thought it was one of the most difficult fp1 papers yet
    That's pretty much the same ball park I am in. Hoping it will be enough or close to 80UMS.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.