Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I'd like to get involved with that if possible.
    Awesome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    There's a few of us kind of half working on a constitution at the moment (the bulk of it is done. It's just the increased details and stuff that need doing) but it can't really move forward until the CT sort us out with sub forums.
    That's precisely it. Imagine in our MHOC if there wasn't private sub forums- we wouldn't be able to have private parties, so the house wouldn't operate the way it does now!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    CANDIDATES:What is your stance on the Crisis Committee?
    I think the idea of a Crisis Committee has shortcomings, the Crisis Committee should be formed of members not in the government, nor largest opposition party, and should think up responses to government policies, for instance, the Alternative Tax Act last term would have caused riots on the streets of London with a fallout larger than the fallout when the Poll Tax was implemented. I would give the Crisis Committee a month ultimatum to reform, produce something sensible with not holes, and respond to criticism by not using the stock answer of a new chair being in the middle of reforming the Crisis Committee; if the Crisis Committee fails I will seek to close it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I think the idea of a Crisis Committee has shortcomings, the Crisis Committee should be formed of members not in the government, nor largest opposition party, and should think up responses to government policies, for instance, the Alternative Tax Act last term would have caused riots on the streets of London with a fallout larger than the fallout when the Poll Tax was implemented. I would give the Crisis Committee a month ultimatum to reform, produce something sensible with not holes, and respond to criticism by not using the stock answer of a new chair being in the middle of reforming the Crisis Committee; if the Crisis Committee fails I will seek to close it.
    Though changing the membership of the CC is really not the prerogative of the Speaker.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Though changing the membership of the CC is really not the prerogative of the Speaker.
    That is true, but nor is closing down the Crisis Committee because the Speaker is bound by the Constitution to keep the Crisis Committee open, however, members are happy with a Speaker taking the prerogative to close the Crisis Committee if the Crisis Committee fails, or becomes inactive.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Cheers, I appreciate the positive comment.

I'm afraid the technical details are be too complicated and boring to be disclosed at this stage (I'm lazy unless I'm hired).

However, I can describe some functionality of what I'd like to be done from the user's point of view:

1. Automated formatting and submission system – there's a page with multiple input fields representing sections, subsections, paragraphs, etc. One can add them, remove them, like in many web apps. The user puts in the data and the system spits out BBCode that can be posted to the party forum and eventually submitted to the Speaker.

2. Tracking and an always up-to-date queue – the submission is automatically taken from the Speaker's inbox, associated with the party, and added to the queue which is public.

3. Configurable reminders reflecting the state of your submissions – the system keeps track of individual submissions and sends you a PM, an e-mail, or indeed a push notification when something happens, e.g. the vote ends in six hours and you still haven't voted.

4. Missing votes – you are also notified of your fellow slackers whom you can choose to whip into voting by sending them another reminder. This would also be handled through the API and a dedicated account.

5. Automated rolling voting review, always up-to-date and accessible online – I basically already did this so you know what to expect plus a system for keeping track of MPs, proxies, the actual spreadsheet-style visualisation, etc.

6. MHoC dashboard – one web page to rule them all and provide information like active submissions, queue, status of current votes, people who have yet to vote, etc. without having to go through it all sorts of different pages.
    I must say that's extremely tempting, I do like #4 especially. Hmmm.

(Original post by Aph)
    Things like the mass PM, Toronto being used, see most of the complaints in ATS last term. The house has also started petty bickering and fruitless arguments and skull bashing which needs to stop. We are a place of debate not patronising tones and hostilities. And I will be positively heavy handed and become a dictator in seeing that happen.
    I agree about the pettiness, but I think there is a thin line between stopping pettiness and cack-handedly disrupting debate, and I worry that if you're going to be 'positively heavy-handed', you'd occasionally cross that line.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    I must say that's extremely tempting, I do like #4 especially. Hmmm.

I agree about the pettiness, but I think there is a thin line between stopping pettiness and cack-handedly disrupting debate, and I worry that if you're going to be 'positively heavy-handed', you'd occasionally cross that line.
    I will try not to. My ultimate aim is to bring us back to a warm friendly atmosphere where yes we can make fun of eachother from time to time but there isn't this constant tension and hostility we see today. Time where people, for the most part, we're all nice and friendly and we had good vigorous debating and where we aren't as partisan as we are now.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Recent events have demonstrated how contentious a Speaker's decision can be when a decision on a punishment is needed, by creating a penal code that MPs have approved, decisions on penalties cannot be seen as being biased decisions. There will be cases where a penalty has not been included, but for the most common offence of having second account, there can be different penalties set out to create transparency when thinking of a penalty.

It is shocking, it really is, I am a pretend politician who has changed his mind, much in the same way some of your MPs changed their mind when voting on the organ donation bill; politicians are allowed to change their mind.

I think that with a penal code, one of two things would happen: either the Speaker would end up having to slap a disproportionate penalty on someone who didn't deserve it, or there would end up being a complicated case where there would be confusion over which penalty to apply. To say nothing of the fact that there would be significant disagreement over the penalties and over what constitutes an offence. Whatever happened, there would be more contention than there is currently.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    I will try not to. My ultimate aim is to bring us back to a warm friendly atmosphere where yes we can make fun of eachother from time to time but there isn't this constant tension and hostility we see today. Time where people, for the most part, we're all nice and friendly and we had good vigorous debating and where we aren't as partisan as we are now.
    Fair enough.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Tempted to vote for Saracen's Fez just for Mani-fez-to xD

Seriously though, would ask all of you questions but I can't think of any that haven't been asked.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Seriously though, would ask all of you questions but I can't think of any that haven't been asked.
    I'm tempted otherwise due to the poor puns

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    That is true, but nor is closing down the Crisis Committee because the Speaker is bound by the Constitution to keep the Crisis Committee open, however, members are happy with a Speaker taking the prerogative to close the Crisis Committee if the Crisis Committee fails, or becomes inactive.
    Hmm, debatable.

Really the GD needs amending before a permanent closedown.

ReputationRep:
    Saracen's Fez and Airmed if it were between you two, what would you say makes you better than the other and which of your policies that the other doesn't have do you consider the key one?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Saracen's Fez and Airmed if it were between you two, what would you say makes you better than the other and which of your policies that the other doesn't have do you consider the key one?
    I think I've shown that time and time again, even if I'm going through rubbish and I despise this place for a bit, I stay dedicated to the MHoC.

AdHoc, thanks to you. It is important to open it up once more.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers

*asks CT to remove you from the Liberals. JoeL1994 and I are going to stage a coup. *

You've been given a Francesca disapproval. xD
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    That's a tough question, given Airmed is the name I am most surprised to see in the running. It's a strange one because our MHoC careers are pretty similar (except I've actually been PM ), our political compass scores are (or were) pretty much on top of each other and our personalities seem to be fairly similar as well. If I had to say something I'd say I would probably be more decisive than Airmed if and when big calls had to me made – I will let the House decide whether that is a good thing or not.

In terms of policy, I think my plan to create a shared document for the Speaker and Deputy Speaker to contain items that need to go up and the timings for them. I've seen Speaker absence in the past and the confusion over when and whether the Deputy Speaker should take over caused a big lull in House business in Parliament 20. I'm not planning any unannounced or sudden absences, but it is perfectly possible that I drop dead one day (here's hoping not) or find myself suddenly without internet, and so I would want to put into place something which would allow the Deputy Speaker to take updates over from the following day were I to miss an update.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Airmed)
    *asks CT to remove you from the Liberals. JoeL1994 and I are going to stage a coup. *

You've been given a Francesca disapproval. xD
    thehistorybore's got my back though so I'm good
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Airmed)
    I think I've shown that time and time again, even if I'm going through rubbish and I despise this place for a bit, I stay dedicated to the MHoC.

AdHoc, thanks to you. It is important to open it up once more.
    But does last parliament not also show that this very argument suggest you are unfit for the position on the basis that you see it as an easy excuse to be lazy or otherwise absent, further seeing it as an excuse that cannot be questioned and must be accepted?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Hmm, I like mobbsy's manifesto the best. It's the kind of thing I'd write if I had missed an additional three years of schooling and had 30 fewer IQ points. Currently he is the most likely to secure my endorsement. Long live mobbsy!

Life_peer is my boy, and his appointment would probably piss a lot of people off which would be amusing. Some good ideas in principle.

Airmed would be an inoffensive choice. However, when choosing a Speaker to quote you must always choose Boothroyd. That, coupled with her refusal to dance for me, means I cannot in good faith endorse her.

I know essentially nothing about Adam but he points out the complete lack of quality debate here these days and is right on the money. Definitely under consideration.

I know Nigel about as well as Adam. I dislike cats. No thanks.

Fez admits to having a poor memory. Also, I prefer the city to the hat. Lukewarm.

You need Jammy to not be Speaker. He is one of the very few people I have seen bothering to defend their position(s).

The fuzzy pictures in Aph's entry hurt my eyes. I consider this an act of war.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That all being said, the first person to rank all of the Star Trek captains from best to worst in the correct order will win my support :lol:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    But does last parliament not also show that this very argument suggest you are unfit for the position on the basis that you see it as an easy excuse to be lazy or otherwise absent, further seeing it as an excuse that cannot be questioned and must be accepted?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    JD, I never use my mental health to be lazy and I find it shocking that you suggest so. Last summer was an exception: I was extremely ill and I had to take a step back, I was suicidal and not in the right frame of mind to lead a party. You can question my previous absences but when I say I'm struggling, I mean it. I have a perfectionist stance in life and I hate admitting defeat and that's why I tend to burn out and become a horrible mess. But don't believe I use my mental health as an excuse. I don't. I hate being ill but I am and sometimes it can't be denied.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.