The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Chemistry Unit 1 (WCH01 )/ May 27 June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sandy_Vega30
Isn't reforming the process in which straight-chain molecules are converted to branched forms? If so, it should be A, coz that was the only one forming an alkene.

Reforming is where straight chainded alkanes are produced to cycloalkanes. So I said B. I wasn't so sure!
Original post by Willandy123
D, rest were cracking

but doesn't reformation produce hydrogen as a by product and form alkenes
hey, for the helium question I regrettably said that helium would be suitable as it is a gas in its standard state thus be detected by the mass spectrometer, that would lose the mark i assume
actually in the reforming process arenes are produced and that wasn't a option so it was kinda confusing :I
also for the bromine question about it being an electrophile, i first stated how the atoms would get the slight charged, then went on to talk about the heterolytic fission and so forth, how would that do?
Hmm.. seems like im wrong
Original post by Sunethra
Reforming is where straight chainded alkanes are produced to cycloalkanes. So I said B. I wasn't so sure!

yesss I wrote b as well but A seemed like a likely answer as well I couldn't tell the difference
Original post by Mimiastc
actually in the reforming process arenes are produced ande that wasn't a option so it was kinda confusing :I

exactly so I picked B
Original post by Sunethra

Oh yeah! That makes sense! Damn it! :angry:
Reply 189
Original post by userk 12
but doesn't reformation produce hydrogen as a by product and form alkenes

but cracking also does that
what did everyone get in the multiple choice for the amount of moles of water in every hydrated mole of the substance
Reply 191
okay.i have several questions.please help:
mcq(reforming one)
helium suitable for mass spectrometer
the last one (about the gas)
the question where they say evidence why aluminium chloride has more covalent character
the hair style one, why no batteries are needed
Original post by Willandy123
Thats what I wrote too.

i wrote difference between theoretical and real value for boiling and melting point i donot know if this is correct
can you tell me
Original post by EUSHA
okay.i have several questions.please help:
mcq(reforming one)
helium suitable for mass spectrometer
the last one (about the gas)
the question where they say evidence why aluminium chloride has more covalent character
the hair style one, why no batteries are needed

these were my answers;
B
I said helium is light because it has a small mass and I also talked about its isotopes and told that they don't don't really alter the deflection.
I wrote what Sandy-Vega wrote about how hydrogen is lost forming alkenes.......
Aluminium has a geater charge density then I talked about its high charge and small size and also talked about the electron density map of AlCl.
I talked about aactivation energy and wrote something more which I don't remember
Original post by chemistryAYS
what did everyone get in the multiple choice for the amount of moles of water in every hydrated mole of the substance

i think i said 6 :smile:
Original post by chemistryAYS

i think it was 6 i cannot remember but mostly i think it is c
Original post by userk 12
exactly so I picked B

i got it the cycloalkane with the straight chain of alkane
probally a really stupid question but which was the smallest with the ions mcq i.e. mg plus or LI plus or O 2minus i can't really remember the options...

also the first stage of separating the mgcl thing ?????
Hey guys! How were your exams? I just had a few questions:
- In the evidence to show AlCl3 is more covalent, I talked about electron density maps but most of my friends talked about the fact that AlCl3 sublimes at a much lower temperature than its supposed to (showing evidence of a simple molecular structure). Theirs makes sense given that its a physical property. Am I wrong?
- TF did they even want for that SHALE question?
- Why is Helium used?
- What was that reformation mcq answer?
Thanks a lot guys!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EUSHA
but cracking also does that

cracking doesn't form hydrogen always right. idk but my notes had hydrogen as a valuable by product of reforming

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending