Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

• View Poll Results: What grades are you expecting on results day?
    A*A*A* (A2 only)
    5.80%
    A*A*A (A2 only)
    5.11%
    A*AA (A2 only)
    8.61%
    AAA
    10.88%
    AAB
    14.14%
    ABB
    12.30%
    BBB
    5.44%
    BBC
    6.16%
    BCC
    5.05%
    CCC
    1.75%
    CCD
    4.08%
    A*AB (A2 only)
    4.86%
    A*BB (A2 only)
    1.42%
    ABC
    5.89%
    ACC
    1.48%
    Other
    7.04%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Usually a previous college or sixth form will provide a reference - have you asked them?

If not then if you're still in contact with an old teacher then they may be willing to provide a reference outside the college. Or if you have a private tutor.

You need a reference for your application. This should include predicted grades and should ideally be academic. If you can't find someone to provide an academic reference then you can ask someone to provide a personal reference but universities are likely to still ask for an academic reference.

If you think you will have trouble finding a reference then speak to the universities you're considering NOW to ask what they advise.
    I live by myself so I don't think I would be able to afford a private tutor so who exactly can provide a personal reference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raizelcadres)
    I live by myself so I don't think I would be able to afford a private tutor so who exactly can provide a personal reference?
    I'd recommend you get back in touch with your previous schools or teachers.

And speak to the universities you are considered applying to first thing tomorrow to ask who they will accept as a reference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    I'd recommend you get back in touch with your previous schools or teachers.

And speak to the universities you are considered applying to first thing tomorrow to ask who they will accept as a reference.
    Will do, thank you for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Uclan and lancaster uni are 2 different places (uclan is university of central lancaSHIRE not lancaSTER).

Don't apply for the wrong one!
    Thanks for pointing that out, knowing me i probably would .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    Exams are over for some!

Not me though... my last one is on the 23rd :bawling:
    Same i have one 3 this week, psychology tommorow general studies the day after and bio the day after that.... On the 23rd i have 2 2h exams... FML biology and sociology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM)
    Same i have one 3 this week, psychology tommorow general studies the day after and bio the day after that.... On the 23rd i have 2 2h exams... FML biology and sociology
    AQA Sociology? If so, same! I have a Psychology exam tomorrow too haha

ReputationRep:
    AQA Sociology? If so, same! I have a Psychology exam tomorrow too haha
    Yep, i havent revised for sociology yet... But i do remember alot of it from unit 3 and some from unit 4 mainly cause its easy to understand been doing psych which for my first unit 3 exam i thought it went really well!

How about you? How did your exam go and have you started revising for sociology yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM)
    Yep, i havent revised for sociology yet... But i do remember alot of it from unit 3 and some from unit 4 mainly cause its easy to understand been doing psych which for my first unit 3 exam i thought it went really well!

How about you? How did your exam go and have you started revising for sociology yet?
    Ah, AQA Psych then? I'm OCR. The first section (Forensic) went okay I guess but the second section (Sport) was absolutely horrific. Just hope I got a middle C which would make it a B overall

Uh I've kinda revised Beliefs and done nada for Crime :') But I've got 6/9 days to focus on it so hopefully I'll be okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Breynolds2671999)
    Thanks for pointing that out, knowing me i probably would .
    You'd be amazed how many applicants put the wrong university down by mistake!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    You'd be amazed how many applicants put the wrong university down by mistake!
    What actually happens if someone puts down the wrong university and doesn't realise until results day? Just seems like an interesting situation.

ReputationRep:
    Damn someone beat me to it

It's so soon though, I think I might cry because of how badly I f*cked up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SH0405)
    What actually happens if someone puts down the wrong university and doesn't realise until results day? Just seems like an interesting situation.
    there's not a lot can be done if someone puts the wrong university and doesn't realise until after the first 7/14 days cooling off period. If they realise a few weeks/months later then they could turn down any other offers and apply through Extra (if there's space) or through Clearing (again if there's space) - but realistically for a lot of people who make this mistake they're either stuck with it, take up one of their other choices/another option in Extra/Clearing or take a gap year and try again.

My UCAS adviser at school went to Newcastle because he thought it was Nottingham (back in olden times people wrote in university codes - a letter and 2 numbers N84 and N21 for Notts/Newc)....and he loved it there :rofl: so maybe not the best adviser but it's certainly not a new mistake!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    My UCAS adviser at school went to Newcastle because he thought it was Nottingham (back in olden times people wrote in university codes - a letter and 2 numbers N84 and N21 for Notts/Newc)....and he loved it there :rofl: so maybe not the best adviser but it's certainly not a new mistake!
    That's brilliant! :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    there's not a lot can be done if someone puts the wrong university and doesn't realise until after the first 7/14 days cooling off period. If they realise a few weeks/months later then they could turn down any other offers and apply through Extra (if there's space) or through Clearing (again if there's space) - but realistically for a lot of people who make this mistake they're either stuck with it, take up one of their other choices/another option in Extra/Clearing or take a gap year and try again.

How on earth did they mix those two up - the numbers aren't even near each other 😂

ReputationRep:
    How on earth did they mix those two up - the numbers aren't even near each other 😂
    I have no idea but he was a lovely teacher (if not a great UCAS adviser!)

Taught me everything what I know about grammar :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    I have no idea but he was a lovely teacher (if not a great UCAS adviser!)

Taught me everything what I know about grammar :yes:
    At least he could tell you what NOT to do I guess

Also this has been bugging me for a while now, so I was hoping you could maybe give me a little insight.

I changed my course at Cardiff from Social Analytics & Politics to Journalism, Media & Sociology after I firmed it. Therefore I now have a Personal Statement that is barely relevant to my course on my application.

Say on Results Day I slip a grade and get BBB. Now I know that there are many many factors involved in whether they admit me but will my irrelevant PS put me at a disadvantage compared to someone who originally applied for that course? I know you can't give me a definite because obviously no-one knows anything yet but do you know anything about people in that situation?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    At least he could tell you what NOT to do I guess

Also this has been bugging me for a while now, so I was hoping you could maybe give me a little insight.

I changed my course at Cardiff from Social Analytics & Politics to Journalism, Media & Sociology after I firmed it. Therefore I now have a Personal Statement that is barely relevant to my course on my application.

Say on Results Day I slip a grade and get BBB. Now I know that there are many many factors involved in whether they admit me but will my irrelevant PS put me at a disadvantage compared to someone who originally applied for that course? I know you can't give me a definite because obviously no-one knows anything yet but do you know anything about people in that situation?

Thanks
    It's very unlikely for an academic courses to get to a point where the PS would be a distinguishing factor at confirmation. They're going to filter on grades first (so things like "missed strict offer but exceeds points equivalent" (AAC for a BBB offer), "missed strict offer but points equivalent" (ABC for BBB), missed by one grade but in least relevant subject, missed by two grades in least relevant subject, missed by one grade in most relevant subject etcetc)

Different universities will have different priorities but they will ONLY reject if
    a) they physically/logistically can't accept anyone else
    Or
    b) they genuinely think that an applicant will struggle to succeed on the course with those grades based on historical data

PS isn't a factor for B and isn't going to be a factor for A (numbers for the sort of course you're considering aren't going to matter if they're 5-10 over target).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    It's very unlikely for an academic courses to get to a point where the PS would be a distinguishing factor at confirmation. They're going to filter on grades first (so things like "missed strict offer but exceeds points equivalent" (AAC for a BBB offer), "missed strict offer but points equivalent" (ABC for BBB), missed by one grade but in least relevant subject, missed by two grades in least relevant subject, missed by one grade in most relevant subject etcetc)

Different universities will have different priorities but they will ONLY reject if
    a) they physically/logistically can't accept anyone else
    Or
    b) they genuinely think that an applicant will struggle to succeed on the course with those grades based on historical data

PS isn't a factor for B and isn't going to be a factor for A (numbers for the sort of course you're considering aren't going to matter if they're 5-10 over target).
    PRSOM 😔

Thank you so much I was really worried about that 😊 Actually quite relieved now!

ReputationRep:
    Ive got an offer for child nursing from Kings BBB.

However, I think I've messed up one of my Alevels and instead will be getting ABC on results day, obviously this could change as I dont know the grades till then but I just want to know if it is the outcome - is there any chance they would accept me still because its my dream to go and im just so annoyed about the one ive messed up 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skytrenfield)
    Ive got an offer for child nursing from Kings BBB.

However, I think I've messed up one of my Alevels and instead will be getting ABC on results day, obviously this could change as I dont know the grades till then but I just want to know if it is the outcome - is there any chance they would accept me still because its my dream to go and im just so annoyed about the one ive messed up 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They could but there are a number of factors involved - see PQs post above

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.