OCR Chemistry A 2016 unofficial mark scheme 27/05/16

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    It was a decent paper next one will be hard though. I have a few questions:

1. My calculator gave me 3.97x10^22 instead of 3.98 will i lose a mark?

2. I said use a higher resolution top pan balance to reduce percentage error which it actually does?

3. I said heat again until mass does not change. is this enough detail?

4. I got 3.33 for the conc. of KI will they accept this?

5. I USED 3+ INSTEAD OF +3, DO THEY MARK DOWN FOR THIS?

sorry for the questions but a bit worried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenAtkinson)
    Im guessing 12 marker on EF, mass spec and IR aswell.. Also I think they'll do a hydrolysis mechanism and a big question on ionisation trends. Boltzmann distribution also will come up Im pretty sure
    This has to be a joke. For anyone out their concerned there will NOT be any 12 markers. The highest mark question on any of the 4 depth/breadth specimen/practise papers is 6 marks.

ReputationRep:
    I said to use a higher resolution scale so hopefully

ReputationRep:
    Kc was 0.160

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464422297.686474.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  63.6 KBhow did you all do part c
    I did 0.15/(45/1000) and got 3.33
    Would that be right

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laney1999)
    Can you upload pics of he paper with these answers filled in?
    if you go on @ChemistryAlevel twitter theres the paper with the answers filled in that i think a teacher did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medicapplicant)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly the same way it was done on this paper, except the guy has condensed his working and put it under the equation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jn998)
    This has to be a joke. For anyone out their concerned there will NOT be any 12 markers. The highest mark question on any of the 4 depth/breadth specimen/practise papers is 6 marks.
    The questions might require a similar amount of detail as the old spec longer questions to get the same amount of marks as the new six markers

ReputationRep:
    Grade Boundary predictions?

I think-

A- 53
    B-47
    C-40
    D-34
    E-28

What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think for the isotopes question you will lose a mark for not mentioning electrons? I just said same number of protons for similarity and different number of neutrons for difference 😬 I did think about writing electrons but I decided not to for some reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KulawiT)
    It was a decent paper next one will be hard though. I have a few questions:

1. My calculator gave me 3.97x10^22 instead of 3.98 will i lose a mark?

2. I said use a higher resolution top pan balance to reduce percentage error which it actually does?

3. I said heat again until mass does not change. is this enough detail?

4. I got 3.33 for the conc. of KI will they accept this?

5. I USED 3+ INSTEAD OF +3, DO THEY MARK DOWN FOR THIS?

sorry for the questions but a bit worried.
    I did all of these except the first, you may possibly drop at the most 1 mark for the first one but that's it, all of the others I'm sure will be fine

ReputationRep:
    The unofficial mark scheme for the electron configuration of bromine atom is wrong , 4S2 comes before 3D10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarrisonGCSE)
    Got 57 which is either a high b or a low a. On last years boundaries that would be an A but on one of the tougher yars that would be a high b. We will have to wait and see! Btw, for the q regarding how you could decrease the % error, could U say that you could use a measuring device with a greater precision i.e less than 0.005. It is technically correct but would OCR accept this?
    If enough people mention it, they will likely accept it as an answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jn998)

You really think that?.. OCR love to throw in the high 10-12 markers on working out unknown compounds. Just because they're not on the specimen papers. If you look at the majority of the f322 papers, you will find one. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenAtkinson)
    You really think that?.. OCR love to throw in the high 10-12 markers on working out unknown compounds. Just because they're not on the specimen papers. If you look at the majority of the f322 papers, you will find one. Thanks.
    It's a new course, the questions will not be the same as before. The practise and specimen papers are designed to give students a feel for what the papers will be like. There would be no point putting in a question that students were not prepared for as they would just have to drop boundaries

ReputationRep:
    On a lot of the past papers with these types of questions they accept both. The mark scheme usually has a note next to the answer saying accept 3d10 4s2 OR 4s2 3d10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ineedA)
    The unofficial mark scheme for the electron configuration of bromine atom is wrong , 4S2 comes before 3D10
    They also accept it with 4S2 before 3D10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medicapplicant)
    I did 0.15/(45/1000) and got 3.33
    Would that be right

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I got 3.33 too but I am not sure if thay would be accepted

ReputationRep:
    For the last q, would it be 2NaOH as you had to remove 2 Br atoms?????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by banterboy098)
    so 44 would be a high c?
    not sure, work it out as a percentage and compare it to previous years for a rough idea

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.