Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing exams for maths further maths economics chemistry and physics atm, from the subjects you want to take I can assume you are academic and have a good understanding of the sciences, in which case you should be able to get through the year by simply attending every lesson and doing homeworks, none of the subjects require much memory (other than biology that ur doing) and so the understanding Should be there when you are taught so I find these subjects should allow you more free time than your friends who have content based subjects. If the understanding is not there then trying to memorise methods and apply memory based knowledge will get you a U in the exams, I'm looking at straights As and A Stars this year and next and have got a lot of free time. You will find it the same or the polar opposite if you don't have scientific understanding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Berny1998)
    I'm doing exams for maths further maths economics chemistry and physics atm, from the subjects you want to take I can assume you are academic and have a good understanding of the sciences, in which case you should be able to get through the year by simply attending every lesson and doing homeworks, none of the subjects require much memory (other than biology that ur doing) and so the understanding Should be there when you are taught so I find these subjects should allow you more free time than your friends who have content based subjects. If the understanding is not there then trying to memorise methods and apply memory based knowledge will get you a U in the exams, I'm looking at straights As and A Stars this year and next and have got a lot of free time. You will find it the same or the polar opposite if you don't have scientific understanding.
    I understand topics as good, if not better, than I memorise them. I am likely to swap biology for further maths anyway because I enjoy maths more and maths is a really good subject for me because for GCSE I didn't have to do much revision because I could always fully understand topics after going over them once or twice. I also enjoy chemistry and physics because that also involves more understanding rather than memory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samii123)
    In September I will be starting A-level maths, physics, chemistry and biology. Pretty much everyone who I have talked to have said that these are the hardest subjects I could have took and how I will have such a phenomenal workload that I won't be able to have a social life but is it really THAT vigorous and THAT difficult?
    Bro, that's nothing compared to what I did: Dance, Media, Art and ICT
    Spoiler:
    Show
    LOL, JK I did: Maths, Physics, Chem and.... Psychology for the ladies

ReputationRep:
    Same as me haha workload is real but a shitload of options open up with these subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    I'm almost going to be taking the same as you:
    Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology (and an EPQ )

*****ing myself because I've heard the same - apparently Chemistry is a killer
    I'm doing the exact same things as u lol. what r u doing for ur EPQ?

ReputationRep:
    You will be fine then, just stay on top of it all for the whole year, even in physics which isn't hard just extremely boring and a very short course

ReputationRep:
    In September I will be starting A-level maths, physics, chemistry and biology. Pretty much everyone who I have talked to have said that these are the hardest subjects I could have took and how I will have such a phenomenal workload that I won't be able to have a social life but is it really THAT vigorous and THAT difficult?
    I'm doing the same but with Further Maths as well

ReputationRep:
    I do Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology (I am currently doing A2 exams) and I would say that their 'hardness' is relative - it's more about application of knowledge to different situations, which some people may find easier or harder - I know if I had to do geography or English I would find it much harder than I do the subjects I do take. I think that's part of where the idea of them being the hardest comes from. Also, it's harder to blag them as they aren't really essay based (depending on your spec biology may have an essay).

I know that different schools have different timetables and ways of organising the work, but with mine I wouldn't say the workload was phenomenal - if anything for me it was lower than it was for other subjects. For Physics for instance, especially on my spec the work was very problem sheet based, so I could comfortably finish it and I knew when it was finished. Compare this to another subject like Philosophy and Ethics where they have to write a lot, they probably ended up working for a lot longer because of the amount they had to do.

Additionally, the courses all complement themselves (or did for me at least), so I would say that doing chemistry with the others would probably make it easier than doing chemistry and then a mix of other subjects. There are some topics which come up in multiple courses (like the Boltzmann distribution, electron energy levels in Chemistry and Physics, differential equations in SHM in Maths and Physics, and some of the cell processes stuff in Biology was helped by Chemistry).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    I took Edexcel AS level maths, further maths, and AQA physics and chemistry last year
    (and so you know I'm reasonably qualified to talk about them, I got 100%, 98%, 100%, 91% respectively)
    Although note that I find understanding easier than memorisation, so my answer may be different to others. And the spec has changed for Physics and Chemistry this year too.

A-level maths and physics just require you to understand concepts. Maths by far the most generous to people who 'get it' - if you have a correct solution with working, you'll almost always get all the marks, even if its different to how they wanted you to do it. In fact, a lot of my revision for maths was more 'fun' maths, like AEA, MAT and STEP papers, instead of Edexcel past papers, because I enjoyed them more.

As for physics and chemistry, the way I revised was to look at past mark schemes. The precise wording of answers, not only understanding, is important for getting marks.

Physics is really easy. Lots of marks for plugging in numbers into formulae (that they give you)! However, you need to write essay questions (6 mark-ers) and answers in word form, which I found more challenging, and these often need to be precisely worded.

Chemistry was much more demanding. I dropped Chemistry, as did most people (almost everyone lol) in my year. They don't give you the formulae to use, they expect you to remember so many chemical reactions,... looking back on it though, I miss it somewhat, but at the time I hated it.

As for free time - I had loads of it (which I spent on maths for fun. Yeah I'm weird). As did everyone else who took the same combination as me.
    Can confirm.The amount of reactions we are expected to know for AS and A2 chem is ridiculous .I agree with you that maths is fun (except stats ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimstone)
    Yeah like other have said the content isnt too hard but the exam tek's arent easy to use in the exam/ you forget. youre timed ect ect, sciences and maths are also way easier to revise than history, where you pretty much need to revise almost everything, so you can pick a little from each topic to use in your essay ( also you can easily foget the content, sciences you can revise week beforehand and remember how to do easily, but that doesnt work for history, you need to revise the days before the exam to remember in great detail ). As was pretty easy, but A2 allows larger interp to the question, which makes it harder and annoying really, since you can go wrong in so many ways.
    Also different exam boards do it differently.. so the difficulty varies.

On your GCSE point, i did GCSE history, edexcel, got A* and it gave me zero help for A level, mainly due to me doing AQA A-level history i guess. either way history isnt too hard to learn really, its just in the exam you can easily forget everything and write a pile of crap and not finish.

History is one of the easier A-levels i do, Bio is the easiest really.
    Biology is not easy especially if you do AQA, one of the worst subjects, for AQA anyway its not about knowing the content, it's analysing graphs and application questions which is a real struggle, you need to think outside the box a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gold-Confetti)
    I would agree that GCSE probably doesn't help much. I took GCSE history in year 9, so it had been 2/3 years since I'd even studied history when I started this year. My friends took it last year so skills like source analysis and argumentative essays were fresh in their minds, but I still did consistently better than them. If you listen to your teacher and put the work in, not having done the GCSE or whatever won't matter (I certainly don't remember stuff from when I was 13 ahah) plus feel free to message me if you want any help with history when you start it. I'm keeping it on next year so I, and probably lots of other people, would be willing to help you. Don't worry about it- you'll be fine! 😊
    Thank you so so much! I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders knowing someone will be willing to help me once I start :-) I want to do the full A2 so I was scared it'd be a killer of a subject but I'm determined to well in it :-) Thank youuu!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimstone)
    Yeah like other have said the content isnt too hard but the exam tek's arent easy to use in the exam/ you forget. youre timed ect ect, sciences and maths are also way easier to revise than history, where you pretty much need to revise almost everything, so you can pick a little from each topic to use in your essay ( also you can easily foget the content, sciences you can revise week beforehand and remember how to do easily, but that doesnt work for history, you need to revise the days before the exam to remember in great detail ). As was pretty easy, but A2 allows larger interp to the question, which makes it harder and annoying really, since you can go wrong in so many ways.
    Also different exam boards do it differently.. so the difficulty varies.

On your GCSE point, i did GCSE history, edexcel, got A* and it gave me zero help for A level, mainly due to me doing AQA A-level history i guess. either way history isnt too hard to learn really, its just in the exam you can easily forget everything and write a pile of crap and not finish.

History is one of the easier A-levels i do, Bio is the easiest really.
    Thank you! I was nervous that because I haven't learnt exam techniques in GCSE that I might fall behind on the subject, which would be a disaster. I read up that English helps with History greatly because of how essay-based it is, and it's recommended to have at least a B in it at GCSE. I'm hoping for an A in English, so I'm hoping it will help! I discovered that I'll be doing it in the same exam board as my other A-Levels which might be a help! (WJEC)

Not really lol. Much less work than you do for any essay subject.
    Chemistry is probs the hardest of them all, and that's only at A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknowntsr)
    I didn't take History for GCSE but am doing it for A Level and although my teacher said that only one person did that last year and lasted 3 days, honestly you are on a level playing field. There is nothing from GSCE that helps them at all in AS, althought A Level Coursework may be a bit unusual for you :/ But yh, I'm doing fine (A/A*) so it cool
    I applaud you for achieving A/A*s! What did you find unusual about the coursework? (I'm trying to prepare myself as best as I can!!) I really don't want to be one of the people that last three days, I want to try and get through the entire A Level and do as best as I can. Realistically, I'm hoping that I can reach a B (but A/A* would be a dream come true:crossedf:) Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cutelady)
    Biology is not easy especially if you do AQA, one of the worst subjects, for AQA anyway its not about knowing the content, it's analysing graphs and application questions which is a real struggle, you need to think outside the box a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah i do AQA, please come on its easy., 2, 2 markers were content questions for the EMPA and they were pretty small/specific Q's, so content revision wasnt useful. i agree with you, but those Q's are easy as hell, especially if you do maths or even chem.... Hell if you do GCSE science theyre easy, But the Q's are very random and sometimes hard to answer but thats the only hard part of BIO. Its easy to revise for, even the essay is a joke at A2. History needs a lot of work revision wise, Chem is harder to understand, and maths is just maths. BIO is easy out of all 4 without a doubt, any most people can agree, If you look at people who do all 4, they most likely got the best grade in BIO, since its the easiest,

BIO had next to no homework and needs little extra time , since its simple. The spec has also barely changed in 30 years, since its BIO, not much changes, a few things are added but not much.

Like i said BIO is the easiest out of all 4, you can argue its harder than some humanities sure, but harder than Maths, History, Chem, Phy, even english lit, get out of here.

As its constantly said BIO is glorified gardening, I love BIO but its easy and somewhat useless as a uni degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twhiddy)
    I applaud you for achieving A/A*s! What did you find unusual about the coursework? (I'm trying to prepare myself as best as I can!!) I really don't want to be one of the people that last three days, I want to try and get through the entire A Level and do as best as I can. Realistically, I'm hoping that I can reach a B (but A/A* would be a dream come true:crossedf:) Thank you!!
    Tbh if you have supportive teachers they should be able to carry you through the coursework. It helps that I also do English and so know the techniques needed in coursework. There's no way you will last only three days. It's just that in GSCE history they did coursework and so know how it works. But there's no coursework in AS so you'll be absolutely fine!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twhiddy)
    Thank you! I was nervous that because I haven't learnt exam techniques in GCSE that I might fall behind on the subject, which would be a disaster. I read up that English helps with History greatly because of how essay-based it is, and it's recommended to have at least a B in it at GCSE. I'm hoping for an A in English, so I'm hoping it will help! I discovered that I'll be doing it in the same exam board as my other A-Levels which might be a help! (WJEC)
    WJEC is a shite exam board, but yeah GCSE you mostly learn about source analysis.. ( hardest / newest concept) and source analysis play little part in A-level and when it does its not in any way the same as GCSE .. I would honestly say my GCSE knowledge hindered me, since i thought i knew how to do source analysis when i didnt.

word of advice AS history is easy, but A2 get much harder, since the Q's allow more interp on them and you can answer them really wrong, were as with AS, its pretty specific, so it's harder to go wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry OP but they are not the hardest subjects

Have you ever taken Hair and Beauty???

Try cutting the hair of a homeless person
    Spoiler:
    Show
    or think about Trump's hairdresser, he/she has to make him look like he has some hair on the top

ReputationRep:
    English Lit and Physics are worst imo

ReputationRep:
    Hardest from experience for me was Further maths, maths, physics, chemistry and computer science

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.