Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yes, everyone has the right to be happy. It's 2016 not 1979. Some people who have children, who may be gay, think it's fine to abandon their own children. Sounds like 'GREAT' parenting skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)
    I've yet to come across a logical and valid reason why not. Assuming no religious institutions are forced to perform ceremonies (which in itself is still a grey area as the institution itself doesn't have the right to religious freedom, just the people that work there - so maybe individual priests etc.) then I haven't yet encountered a logically valid reason why not.
    Well at the end of the day, marriage is a religious institution , whether we like it or not and was founded upon very clear rules, it's easily argued that the age old definition of marriage is one that simply doesn't include two people of the same sex. Therefore gay marriage isn't real marriage and why nobody ever opposes civil partnerships because that is more suited.

Not that this is necessarily my view but this would be the view I could understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #JOSH45#)
    Well at the end of the day, marriage is a religious institution , whether we like it or not and was founded upon very clear rules, it's easily argued that the age old definition of marriage is one that simply doesn't include two people of the same sex. Therefore gay marriage isn't real marriage and why nobody ever opposes civil partnerships because that is more suited.

Not that this is necessarily my view but this would be the view I could understand.
    Marriage is a civil institution, not a religious one.

ReputationRep:
    Because you can't choose your sexuality, just like how you can't choose your race. Sure, you can find ways of changing your skin colour or acting in a different way to how you actually feel to make yourself look like you belong to a different race or have a different sexuality, but you cannot choose which you are given.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really have much of an opinion on it but I do think it is right that it is legal. I guess I think people should be allowed to do whatever they want to do especially in their private lives as long as it doesn't harm anyone and this isn't harming anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Looking at the arguments put forth against gay marriage in this thread, it is so obvious why those opposed to it so categorically lost the debate (at least in the more advanced and enlightened countries, hopefully the rest will catch up one day).

ReputationRep:
    That's absolutely not what I said. I simply stated that they have the ability to not engage in sexual activities if they were to be facing criminal charges whereas people of colour don't have the same ability.

Edit :: You're clearly also quite an unintelligent person seeing as to how you managed to infer that I was saying gay people shouldn't have sex when I clearly stated "they can refrain" & either way in the older days heterosexual men and women had to remain chaste in order to avoid discrimination and celibacy was something that was expected so don't make it sound as if it would be impossible for gays to be chase.
    Men slept around regardless of those standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    Men slept around regardless of those standards.
    Exactly - women were expected to be chaste, and people turned a blind eye to men.

ReputationRep:
    It is not the right of the government to tell the Church how to practice its religion.

The state should not be involved in marriage at all - it is a religious ceremony.

I am not against gay marriage, if the Church wants to do it I have no issue whatsoever - the government should simply not impede on the rights of the individual's faith/religion.

ReputationRep:
    The history of suffering isn't and gays can refrain from gay activity, blacks can't refrain from being black.

Anyway not gonna engage with you. My mother taught me from a very young age "you can't argue with stupid". Bye.
    Gays can refrain from being gay in the same way that you could refrain from ever having a relationship with a person of the opposite sex. It's nominally an option, but it's a very unhappy life. The only humane and decent decision is to allow them to marry. If they can't, they lack a basic human right that the rest of us have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaz W)
    It is not the right of the government to tell the Church how to practice its religion.

The state should not be involved in marriage at all - it is a religious ceremony.
    Marriage is a civil institution, not a religious one.

ReputationRep:

I am not against gay marriage, if the Church wants to do it I have no issue whatsoever - the government should simply not impede on the rights of the individual's faith/religion.
    In which case congratulations you pretty much support gay marriage as it currently is practised. Religious groups that want to partake in a religious gay marraige can if they wish whilst those that do not are not forced to. The only thing I can see you maybe having an issue with is non religious marriage (gay or other wise)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samklipas0)
    Well what does being happy and in love got to do with gay marriage. So going by your flawed logic, you are saying that if someone is happy and in love, then they should marry each other? So every gay college student who is happy and in love should get married then?

I am entitled to an opinion as much as you are - I didn't come here to argue, just give my honest account - honesty - something that doesn't come to light much these days...
    Being happy and in love has everything to do with marriage. I'm not saying that every single couple who are happily in love should marry, but they should have the option.

And yes, of course you are entitled to your opinion, just as we are entitled to tell you that it's garbage. The right that you have to an opinion doesn't make you immune to criticism.

ReputationRep:

Which they don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ATW1)
    Inequality is a fact of life. I am not against it, I just accept it as it is. We aren't all equal and that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    Sounds like defeatism to me. Injustice may be a fact of life, but where we can reduce it, we have a moral imperative to do so.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely support it, everyone should have the right to marry the person they love regardless of their/their partner's gender

ReputationRep:
    Don't compare being black to being gay. I'm not even black and that offends me. Gays and feminists need to stop trying to steal black peoples civil movement ! Were you enslaved ? No. So cut the crap.

& for those "tolerant" people talking about love. Practice what you preach, you can't call people "pieces of ****" because they don't agree with you and then think you're a tolerant, lovely person.
    Erm, there's nothing about the comparison. You said it was like that for many years and should not be changed because of a minority. I ask you then, should black people be discriminated? According to your logic, they should, because 'it was happening for so long and it shouldn't be changed because of a minority'. Ie utter crap.

You evidently appear to forget that homosexuals are still being killed for being homosexuals. Or you're not leaving on this planet at least.

Your later statement makes no sense either. Criticism is a fundamental human right through freedom of speech. You're nobody to change that. End of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Gays can refrain from being gay in the same way that you could refrain from ever having a relationship with a person of the opposite sex. It's nominally an option, but it's a very unhappy life. The only humane and decent decision is to allow them to marry. If they can't, they lack a basic human right that the rest of us have.
    I never said it was a fun option, I said it was an option. Unlike blacks not being black. Again, I didn't say they shouldn't get married I just proposed the idea that it's not real marriage as it doesn't fit the original requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olie)
    I challenge anyone against gay marriage to watch the video of their wedding -

How could anyone be against that? Why would you want to deny them of happiness when it doesn't affect you in the slightest, no-one's forcing you to get married to someone of the same sex or go to a same sex marriage.
    Their wedding was so so beautiful. Such a lovely couple :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    Erm, there's nothing about the comparison. You said it was like that for many years and should not be changed because of a minority. I ask you then, should black people be discriminated? According to your logic, they should, because 'it was happening for so long and it shouldn't be changed because of a minority'. Ie utter crap.

You evidently appear to forget that homosexuals are still being killed for being homosexuals. Or you're not leaving on this planet at least.

Your later statement makes no sense either. Criticism is a fundamental human right through freedom of speech. You're nobody to change that. End of.
    I never said anything about "many years". I said the definition of marriage doesn't include two people of the same gender. No black people shouldn't be discriminated against but it's been happening since the beginning of time and hasn't changed lol and there's nothing that states that's the order in which the world exists - for discrimination to be targeted at black people however the word marriage is synonymous with a man and woman.

Yeah and when anything about gays are said the whole world is in up roar ! About words ! Blacks were being killed and raped left right and centre even into the 90's and governments not only allowed it but condoned it (SA comes to mind).

& freedom of speech is no longer freedom of speech when it's trying to eliminate somebody else's freedom of speech, it's called bullying and censoring. & my main point regarding that actually, genius, was that people shouldn't claim to be tolerant when they don't want others who disagree with them to have a voice.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.