Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA CHEM4 discussion/unofficial mark scheme Watch

• View Poll Results: How hard did you find this paper?
    Easy, will get an A*
    4.66%
    Moderate
    13.38%
    Harder than any other paper
    60.90%
    I flopped
    21.05%

ReputationRep:
    For question about P and Q, I put ethanol as the reagent. The acyl chloride gives sweet smell while the other doesn't. Do you think it would get the marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by penguinpenny)
    For question about P and Q, I put ethanol as the reagent. The acyl chloride gives sweet smell while the other doesn't. Do you think it would get the marks?
    Well that's exactly what I put so I really hope so!

ReputationRep:
    omg I put that too!! Thought I was the only one🙊🙊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haj101)
    omg I put that too!! Thought I was the only one🙊🙊
    Hi 5 buddy! I have a massive sweet tooth so that's always what I put down when I did past papers lol.
    Did you do other questions alright? There are just so many 'suggest' kind of questions 😱. The one about lidocaine I'm not really sure if I would get the mark: my friend managed to put down that the salt is soluble, but my answer was that the salt is more 'stable'. Not sure if I would get the mark for this one either.

ReputationRep:
    Hi 5 buddy! I have a massive sweet tooth so that's always what I put down when I did past papers lol.
    Did you do other questions alright? There are just so many 'suggest' kind of questions 😱. The one about lidocaine I'm not really sure if I would get the mark: my friend managed to put down that the salt is soluble, but my answer was that the salt is more 'stable'. Not sure if I would get the mark for this one either.
    Hi5!!!!! I didn't write that
    Generally found the paper crap tbh really wanted an A in this

ReputationRep:
    Suggest why AQA need 34325402398406982 lidocaine suppositories shoved 10 feet up their rectal cavities (1 mark).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lolaturface)
    Yeah such as that one question about medical reasoning, and the silly rates one marker, and many others. And same I think I
    may be forced to take a gap year now, which I was planning to do anyway but it must be an inconvenience for others who weren't planning to take one.

However I do think grade boundaries will be lower; they won't make up for the hardness of it. I think Chem5 will be easier, at least I find it easier. I don't really see how they could make it that hard cos a lot of its memory, I guess they could throw in a hard question about redox potentials.... just gotta try ur best at chem 5 don't give up hope! things tend to turn out better than we think!
    Yeah, like I get that they were going to ask the odd one marker that I wasn't going to get anyway because they always do and I obviously don't know everything chemistry related so I wasn't ever going to get full marks.

Honestly if chem5 is just as disgusting I'll probably just not put in any more revision for the following two exams. Unless I perform a miracle in Maths this week and both my core 3 and core 4 feel like A grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadherin)
    I got 114 :/

Others have been saying 112. They'll probably be lenient on the mark scheme.
    (Original post by Cadherin)
    I got 114 :/

Others have been saying 112. They'll probably be lenient on the mark scheme.
    (Original post by ahsan_ijaz)
    i think it wants the peak with highest m/z - which had to cl37 but who knows
    It said most abundant, as the ratio of 35:37 is 3:1, most abundant would contain 2 x 35 Cl atoms, so the answer's 112

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuslamicJihad)
    The nmr at the end was (I think): CH3OCH2CH2C(CH3)2OH
    It couldn't have been a tertiary alcohol because it turns potassium dichromate green

ReputationRep:
    GUYS SIGN THE PETITION AND SPREAD IT AROUND
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/l...ry-unit-4-2016

ReputationRep:
    Do you think you can put NaOH with an acid catalyst for the hydrolysis of the Estee???

Also does anyone remember the moles we were given when we had to work out KC that got an answer of 9.09x10-3
    I know one was 0.58 another was 3.76 I think???? What were the other two?

ReputationRep:
    Guys how would we get this into the newspapers?

ReputationRep:
    I don't even think I got 30 marks.. And I revised so hard.

ReputationRep:
    Guys just remember they tested us on an organic synthsis which wasnt even on the spec !!! Alcohol and aldehyde to produce a ether alcohol thing !?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lara24)
    It couldn't have been a tertiary alcohol because it turns potassium dichromate green
    Wouldnt be surprised if aqa messed up that question...

ReputationRep:
    Don't even feel like I'm ready for unit 5 now. I got another exam tommorow but can't get chem 4 out of my head ffs 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DDan123)
    Don't even feel like I'm ready for unit 5 now. I got another exam tommorow but can't get chem 4 out of my head ffs 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I feel ya! I put so much effort and was hoping for an A... as if that's happening now.
    Goodbye Uni!!

ReputationRep:
    Any body else feel like they've got a solid U? Cried so hard after that paper all my work done **** all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DDan123)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same, it's also AQA, they better not screw this one up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hi-zen-berg)
    if you get an answer to this can you hit me quote me please because i clearly too skipped over that

i just remember them asking us what a racemic is
    me too!!
    I'm really worried now that I probs skipped the whole page.

I just remember it asks about racemate

and relationship of optical isomers

-I also didn't see question on
    'state advantage of polyester over polyalkene' did you see this one coming up?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.