Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2016 AQA Chemistry C2 - Unofficial Mark Scheme 2016 Watch

• View Poll Results: How many marks do you think you got out of 60?
    0 - 10 marks
    1.86%
    11 - 20 marks
    2.26%
    21 - 30 marks
    10.23%
    31 - 40 marks
    19.52%
    41 - 50 marks
    36.25%
    51 - 60 marks
    29.88%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pro4TLZZ)
    i only missed out the last one lol
    Omg samee xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FIFIDAISYMAY)
    what was the answer about the size of nano particles compared to atoms?
    I dont think they expect you to know the relative sizes in terms of the actual values. All i wrote was *a nano particle is significantly smaller than a atom*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimmox00)
    Well 3 out of 4 is not bad is it?! :P
    its fine lol. on my past papers it was only 2-3 marks. i did not notice today that it was a 4 marker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gurpartapl)
    I dont think they expect you to know the relative sizes in terms of the actual values. All i wrote was *a nano particle is significantly smaller than a atom*.
    A nano particle is bigger than a atom.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  jimmy.PNG
Views: 148
Size:  19.7 KB

this 3 markers came up today as well as last year! :d so happy today!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackbarry1999)
    For the 2 variables I said to keep constant the volume of sodium thiosulfate and hydrochloric acid is this right?
    I did the exact same thing so hopefully it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben34bow)
    How did everyone get 200kg for the 6 mark question? I got 250kg - I did 500 + 200 + 50 = 750, and then divided it by 3. I know I will probably get some marks for it, but I just wondered what everyone else did. :confused:
    You had to look at the graphs, graph A showed that the crop yield was increasing up until 200kg of ammonium and after that there was only a small increase so it wasn't worth it. Graph B showed that below 200kg ammonium there was always a profit, after 200kg the profit decreased. And finally graph c showed that above 300kg ammonium there would be a run off of ammonium meaning that it would be a waste.

After looking at all this information you decide what amount fits into each graph. So graph a suggests that 200kg is best, graph b says the same, and because graph c suggested that anything below 300kg is good it meant that the answer was 200kg

ReputationRep:
    If you said sulfur dioxide was produced which dissolved in the limewater causing it to go cloudy would that be correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackbarry1999)
    For the 2 variables I said to keep constant the volume of sodium thiosulfate and hydrochloric acid is this right?
    I think that would count as one point, so only 1 mark maybe? not sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Actuvia)
    You had to look at the graphs, graph A showed that the crop yield was increasing up until 200kg of ammonium and after that there was only a small increase so it wasn't worth it. Graph B showed that below 200kg ammonium there was always a profit, after 200kg the profit decreased. And finally graph c showed that above 300kg ammonium there would be a run off of ammonium meaning that it would be a waste.

After looking at all this information you decide what amount fits into each graph. So graph a suggests that 200kg is best, graph b says the same, and because graph c suggested that anything below 300kg is good it meant that the answer was 200kg

I said all of this but instead of 200 I put 175 how many marks do u think I could get

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naco88)
    Notice: I would like to apologise on my own behalf about getting a question on PH wrong. I put 0 instead of 7. I typed this on my phone so there was bound to be a mistake however I have now checked everything else and it all seems right.
    Hello. Welcome to my AQA Chemistry C2 Unofficial mark scheme! Due to the success of my other mark scheme for AQA Biology which got 40k views I will happily do another and look forward to seeing how you guys found the exam.

This mark scheme is made completely by people who have done the exam so is written purely from knowledge. We will try and get the questions in the right order however putting marks next to each is very hard so please do not request this. If you remember a question we forgot then feel free to comment it below or contact me on twitter (@NacoRBLX) and I will be sure to add it.
    This mark scheme is not official and was made purely from what we saw in the exam.

AQA C2 Higher - Unofficial Mark Scheme (Updated Regularly) (Should have a few questions of foundation)

Note: Not all the questions are complete
    1. Question on Temperature Change
    a) 5.75 (do not include the anomaly)
    b)
    c)
    d) How could you change the apparatus to get more accurate results? Use a digital thermometer. It is more accurate.
    2. Question on Fertilisers
    What is the PH after being neutralized? 7
    Percentage by mass: 14+1+1+1 = 17 (14/17) x 100 = 82%
    6 Mark Question about a farmer using ammonium nitrate on his crops. The best value to use was around 200kg because the lowest possible amount went into nearby lakes and it produced the maximum profit. Values between 200kg and 300kg would all probably be accepted. The examinors want to see that you can compare values on all graphs and find one which suits them all. Doing this should get you most of the marks.
    3. Question on Particles and Nano Particles
    Why are nano particles good catalysts? They have a large surface area to volume ratio.
    Put the dots/crosses in the diagram to resemble electrons. Put 2 dots/crosses in the overlapping bits and 6 outside of it. There should be 8 in the outer shell of oxygen so getting them in the wrong places but drawing 8 dots/crosses should get you 1 mark out of 2.
    Attachment 550689
    4. Reaction experiment (cross under flask)
    Why did the liquid go cloudy? Sulfur was produced (see equation) which dissolved in the water.
    What should she keep the same? The amounts of each substance used. The person looking at the cross.
    How could she do it with a temperature of 5 degrees? Cool the liquid
    5. Question on electrolysis (Magnesium Chloride)
    Why do the molecules need to be melted or dissolved in water?
    The particles need to be able to move so they can get to the electrodes. This also separates them.
    Why does magnesium form at the negative electrode?
    It is M2+ so it will be attracted to the negative electrode. It will then gain 2 electrons and therefore no longer be an ion.
    In experiment 2, magnesium did not form at the negative electrode, why?
    The magnesium chloride was dissolved in water so hydrogen atoms are present. These are less reactive than magnesium so will form.
    6. Question on materials
    How does copper conduct electricity? It has free electrons in its structure which can flow through when a current is applied.
    Why is diamond very hard to break? Diamond is hard because it has lots of strong covalent bonds which are hard to break.
    Why would you use thermosetting polymers in pan handles? They are strong and heat resistant. They have a high melting point.
    Predicted grade boundaries will come soon.
    Note: The question parts may not be in the right order.
    This is a mix of my answers and those of the community but they are not guaranteed to be correct.

Grade Boundary Predictions

These are completely my predictions, we have decided that it was a fairly
    easy paper so our boundaries are fairly high.

A* - 49 marks

A - 42 marks

B - 32 marks

C - 25 marks

Keep an ion this mark scheme. Hopefully it will get a good reaction... All the good jokes argon...
    Oh god the puns... I'm starting to sound like a CGP textbook...

If you did the B2 exam on Friday, we have the mark scheme for that as well!
    Hi, I have a question. For the dots and crosses diagram question, I put all the electrons in the correct place but because the question said use dots or crosses I only used dots. Will I be penalised for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Certified)
    A reaction is endothermic in the opposite direction.

acid and alkali reaction tick box was H2O
    yea the actual thing written was

H+ + OH- --> H2O

ReputationRep:
    How could the sulfur dissolve, its an insoluable precipitate? The exact same question came up in jan 2013 and this was the answerName:  image.png
Views: 139
Size:  51.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    For the percentage by mass question, I put 82.4%, would that still get me the marks?

ReputationRep:
    Question 4) Sulfur was produced. It was a insoluble precipitate therefore didn't dissolve making the solution cloudy

ReputationRep:
    I wrote wool for the question about obtaining accurate results. is this right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naco88)
    They are the only 2 I saw.
    The other variable you were meant to write was to have the same person watching the cross because some people would have different ideas as to when the 'x' disappears

ReputationRep:
    "Cool" liquid is not sufficient i think. You had to suggest a method of cooling such as using a water bath to cool the reagents to 5 degrees Celsius before mixing.

ReputationRep:
    Thought I bossed that paper
    But no
    the rest of the country did too

ReputationRep:
    Yeag I did

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.