Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Can bilinguals think in both of their languages?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cashcash871)
    It's the same as thinking in English I guess
    But your natural instinct is to just think in English, right? Do you think in German when speaking because you need to reply in German? But when thinking on your own, you could pick between the 2 languages if you wanted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fg45344)
    Pictures
    Oh yeah, I hadn't thought of pictures!

ReputationRep:
    I speak English and Swedish but I only think in English.. Although I've started swearing out loud in Swedish..

Probably because no one can understand me haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamCW)
    I speak English and Swedish but I only think in English.. Although I've started swearing out loud in Swedish..

Probably because no one can understand me haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But can you think in Swedish? What age did you learn English and Swedish?

ReputationRep:
    But your natural instinct is to just think in English, right? Do you think in German when speaking because you need to reply in German? But when thinking on your own, you could pick between the 2 languages if you wanted?
    Yes my natural instinct is English. Yes I think in German when speaking German. Yes I could pick between the two.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 24 and have been living in and learning Swedish for the past 18 months..

And, yes I can, but I don't unless I'm with other seeded I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So here is my question....

If you speak only english, you will think in english. If you speak only spanish, you will think in spanish. If you speak spanish and english fluently, say being bilingual from birth, can you think in both languages?
    Yes you can. It depends mainly on where you spend most of your time and which language you are using most. If you are in Spain speaking Spanish all the time you will think in Spanish more, whereas in England you will think more in English.

Personally my Spanish isn't good enough for this to happen; I always think in English. I have dreamed in Spanish though which was weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc:))
    Yes you can. It depends mainly on where you spend most of your time and which language you are using most. If you are in Spain speaking Spanish all the time you will think in Spanish more, whereas in England you will think more in English.

Personally my Spanish isn't good enough for this to happen; I always think in English. I have dreamed in Spanish though which was weird.
    So a bilingual person in spanish and english would have the ability to think in 2 languages? Like they could just keep switching in their head?

ReputationRep:
    I speak English and French, and usually I think in English as it's my first language, but sometimes when I'm in France or Switzerland for a while or have been speaking in French to people, I'll start to think in French. Very occasionally I dream in French as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilixxx1000)
    I speak English and French, and usually I think in English as it's my first language, but sometimes when I'm in France or Switzerland for a while or have been speaking in French to people, I'll start to think in French. Very occasionally I dream in French as well.
    What age did you learn English and French? Can you think in French when thinking on your own?

ReputationRep:
    What age did you learn English and French? Can you think in French when thinking on your own?
    Well I was born in England to native French-speaking parents, so grew up speaking both simultaneously, although my English was better because of school etc. being in English. Yes I can, but as I said it's usually when I've been in a French speaking country for a while

ReputationRep:
    Well I was born in England to native French-speaking parents, so grew up speaking both simultaneously, although my English was better because of school etc. being in English. Yes I can, but as I said it's usually when I've been in a French speaking country for a while
    But you could force yourself to think in French when thinking on your own is what I mean, right? Like usually you think in English when thinking on your own, but this could be changed to French, right?

Can you think in any other language?

ReputationRep:
    But you could force yourself to think in French when thinking on your own is what I mean, right? Like usually you think in English when thinking on your own, but this could be changed to French, right?

Can you think in any other language?
    Oh yeah if I made an active decision to think in French it wouldn't be a problem, it's just that naturally I tend to think in English.

The only langauge I have (very limited) knowledge of is German (did it to GCSE), so I guess I could try and think a little bit in German but it wouldn't be very productive thinking haha :P

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah if I made an active decision to think in French it wouldn't be a problem, it's just that naturally I tend to think in English.

The only langauge I have (very limited) knowledge of is German (did it to GCSE), so I guess I could try and think a little bit in German but it wouldn't be very productive thinking haha :P
    So therefore you think in French and English, right?

ReputationRep:
    So a bilingual person in spanish and english would have the ability to think in 2 languages? Like they could just keep switching in their head?
    Of course, if they wanted to. What would come naturally though would be whatever language they are using most at that point in time. After a holiday in England, for example, a bilingual Spaniard might be thinking more in English.

If you use both languages a lot you find that odd words from each language will pop up in your head.

ReputationRep:
    you think in english or urdu in your head?

ReputationRep:
    So therefore you think in French and English, right?
    Yeah I do, just more in English than in French.

ReputationRep:
    I am a bangladeshi and I think in english. fml.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrahim)
    I am a bangladeshi and I think in english. fml.
    What other languages can you think in?

ReputationRep:
    What other languages can you think in?
    No other language.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.