Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So Turkey is used to having military coups, guess this recent one was long overdue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    No, my friend. WW3 has been postponed. The lizards are coming from Nibiru in November, not yet.
    Also predicted:
    From 2011 western calendar, the crisis deepens since in the U.S. and in Europe money will lose itsvalue fast.

The 2011 stock market fall

ReputationRep:
    Previous Turkish president: Turkey is not a country in Africa and this coup will fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george_c00per)
    You might have dodged a bullet there.. my parents aren't home and they're not replying to my messages to them so I don't know about me yet!
    Well good luck. And it might have all died down by two weeks so you might be ok anyway. Just keep me updated on what you and your family decide to do. It's nice to know there is someone else having the same problem

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what's going on and why lol
    Does this affect us or have any effect on the UK at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-farhan)
    Previous Turkish president: Turkey is not a country in Africa and this coup will fail.
    I hope not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grumpyteen)
    Well good luck. And it might have all died down by two weeks so you might be ok anyway. Just keep me updated on what you and your family decide to do. It's nice to know there is someone else having the same problem as me.
    Yep will do

ReputationRep:
    Why would the military want to take over? Whats wrong with erdogan and AK?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the Air Force will shoot down Erdogan's plane when he's looking to land

I bet Merkel would feel bad about that

ReputationRep:
    How will NATO react?

Also, if this is involving most of the military how does the present government hope to win? With police officers?

ReputationRep:
    Al-Jazera: Tanks pulling out of Attaturk international Airport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    let's hope that the winners still want to be part of NATO*
    Why do you want a provocative nation like Turkey in NATO, which shoots down Russian jets on a whim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladiatorsword)
    Why would the military want to take over? Whats wrong with erdogan and AK?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They made a lot of unlawful stuff but the reason why coup is happening because they fought against FETÖ, an organisation that had many ppl in military, police and other governmental organs. They cleared almost all organs of FETÖ in Turkey (which I think the only good AKP and Erdogan did) FETÖ in military tried to stage a coup. They seem to have failed tho.

ReputationRep:
    Conspiracy theory I've seen: "It looks like it’s a coup alright. But a staged one by AKP to cement their dictatorship in"

Erdogan trying to get to Istanbul Airport but gunfire heard there. Will he be captured?

ReputationRep:
    What does any of this mean? I'm pretty sure 99% of people watching the news have no idea what's going on ahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    What does any of this mean? I'm pretty sure 99% of people watching the news have no idea what's going on ahaha

FETÖ is staging a coup but fails. Do a research, you ll get it with enough research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grand High Witch)
    How will NATO react?

Also, if this is involving most of the military how does the present government hope to win? With police officers?
    I don't think it's as clean cut as some of the media are making out.

Seems like it wasn't all of the generals leading the coup attempt, at least one senior military official has been held hostage.

Also a TV station building has just been blown up, possibly by loyalist army/air force. Lots of people on the streets as well after Erdogan's address blocking tanks and things.

Who knows how this will end up. If things get bloody I don't think the West will be able to stand by like they did in Syria.

ReputationRep:
    Is it still safe to go to Turkey on holiday?...
    As a rule, when the weather forecast predicts lead, I'd probably advise against it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm meant to be going to Turkey on Tuesday though. How violent?! Will violence go on throughout the whole of Turkey or just in Istanbul or Ankara?
    I'd look at your holidays cancellation policy. I imagine all flights will be postponed, already planes are being turned around. Seems the army has taken the main airport, so it doesn't matter where you're staying

ReputationRep:
    Funny how the President who banned street protests is now telling people to street protest

Also notice how it seems to be only men out protesting? I wonder why no women want to help Erdo

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.