Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    A MoNC ends when voting closes and the result is declared. This hasn't, and won't, happen.
    According to what? Are you telling me that this MoNC will be in progress forever?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    On this basis then surely a new MoNC cannot be raised, as there is currently one ongoing.
    No it cannot until this one is formally withdrawn.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No it cannot until this one is formally withdrawn.
    At which point it has ended...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    According to what? Are you telling me that this MoNC will be in progress forever?
    No, it will be formally withdrawn before the end.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If it has not ended it is in progress. So either it is in progress in perpetuity, or it is ended, unless the definition of "ended" has changed in the last 30 seconds.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    One more for avoidance of doubt – the MoNC ends when the MoNC process detailed in the GD ends i.e. when it is complete.

This MoNC will be withdrawn whilst incomplete.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Surely if you're not classifying it as ended, it's ongoing, just in a state of withdrawal. Either it's ending, or it's not. You've said it's not ending, so a new MoNC can go ahead. However, if it's not ending, a new one can't be submitted anyway.

If you're allowing a new one to go ahead, then the current one must have ended. But if the current one ended, then they gotta wait two weeks.

ReputationRep:
    … at which point it will end.

Seriously, forget about your political preference and think about what you're saying.

Moreover, I'm quoting the GD again so please read it:

According to the Guidance Document, a motion of no confidence can be called against the government at any point during a term of governance unless the government was formed less than two weeks prior to the motion, or less than two weeks have passed since the last motion of no confidence was called against the government.

ReputationRep:
    One more for avoidance of doubt – the MoNC ends when the MoNC process detailed in the GD ends.
    This is completely contrary to the GD and wrong.

A motion of no confidence can be called against the government at any point during a term of governance unless the government was formed less than two weeks prior to the motion, or less than two weeks have passed since the last motion of no confidence was called against the government.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    One more for avoidance of doubt – the MoNC ends when the MoNC process detailed in the GD ends i.e. when it is complete.

So, who's going to urgently get on the phone to all the dictionary producers to get them to correct their definitions?

ReputationRep:
    Can I just ask why you tories are so desperate for an extra two weeks? Must we really suffer through two more weeks of ineptness before the inevitable happens?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    So, who's going to urgently get on the phone to all the dictionary producers to get them to correct their definitions?
    :laugh:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by cBay)
    Can I just ask why you tories are so desperate for an extra two weeks? Must we really suffer through two morw weeks on ineptness before the inevitable happens?
    Quite frankly, it's more about doing what is right/doing it properly, than the MoNC.

ReputationRep:
    Can I suggest you all go and watch the finish of the Tour de France on tv or just go and make a cup of tea?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Can I suggest you all go and watch the finish of the Tour de France on tv or just go and make a cup of tea?
    I'm actually going to grab bottles of beer!

ReputationRep:
    Hardly anyone cares about some ****ing cycling so either add to the debate or go watch it yourself, eh? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:

Can it be withdrawn? There is no specific procedure specified by the Constitution or the GD for doing so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Is filibustering cheating, Mr. smarty pants? :rolleyes: Political strategy is mostly about using standard means that are available to anyone to achieve unexpected results for one's own benefit. If it were true (and I think it would be a brilliant idea), it wouldn't be against the rules.
    Yes, having taken a walk and considered it, I remove, and apologise for my brash, overly quick accusation of cheating - I merely think it is unethical (like filibustering) and the Liberal party should seriously consider their willingness to continue with their coalition partners in the upcoming vote.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The most British thing I've ever seen.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Again with calling the speaker partisan to try and get your own way :rolleyes:

Whilst this may be in the rules it is not in their spirit. So the speaker is left with 3 options.

1) let the MoNC progress (IMO this is the most constitutionally sound decision)
    2) call the MoNC void and allow another instantaneously. (What he is doing)
    3) end the MoNC and impose the 2 weeks (least constitutional and against the spirit of the rules)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.