Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TercioOfParma)
    Yes, if you aren't doing a super astrophysics degree or becoming a lawyer you're obviously a complete retard with no positive qualities duh.
    I'll just pack it in now then :ashamed:

ReputationRep:
    he's right.. theres no point in going to university if its a crap one or a crap course cos you wont get anywhere with it but then again i go to a rubbish university so i know what its like im doing a good course but i dont even like it im just doing it for the sake of it too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TercioOfParma)
    I am taking the piss because you went "muh orthographical error", which was a pathetic response. There are no issues with women in particular, I am almost certain I have a better understanding of both of the issues you bring up in this post.

You are completely legally equal to a man.
    that wasn't even me lolololol I was defending the person above who said that and insulted you. As a woman, I stand by what I said, you cannot speak from your position of privilege as a man (I'm assuming).Evidently, you know f*** all about women and their continued struggles in contemporary society. Just because I don't agree with you, and I'm a woman, you think it's okay to belittle my opinion. Grow up, little boy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enyav)
    that wasn't even me lolololol I was defending the person above who said that and insulted you. As a woman, I stand by what I said, you cannot speak from your position of privilege as a man (I'm assuming). Just because I don't agree with you, and I'm a woman, you think it's okay to belittle my opinion. Grow up, little boy.
    "As a woman" - Nobody gives a flying **** what's between your legs. There is also no privilege to being male.

I had no idea you were a woman before I read this post, but It was quite clear you weren't the sharpest knife in the block.

Here's a challenge, point out one way you are unequal in this country.

"Grow up, little boy", HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by enyav)
    that wasn't even me lolololol I was defending the person above who said that and insulted you. As a woman, I stand by what I said, you cannot speak from your position of privilege as a man (I'm assuming).Evidently, you know f*** all about women and their continued struggles in contemporary society. Just because I don't agree with you, and I'm a woman, you think it's okay to belittle my opinion. Grow up, little boy.
    Look, we get that there are legitimate issues out there. But saying stuff like 'as a woman' like your experience is the same as those undergoing real persecution, is quite douchey.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    In the main, those would be Asian by ethnicity, not by nationality. They'd be predominately American by upbringing, and have more in the way of social skills and emotional maturity.
    If you're talking about Asian nationals are not dominating the job market then it's clear what the issue is, and it's not immaturity - people need a visa and leave their original life to work in a foreign country.

Except for Qatar, I can't think of any other country where foreigners dominate the job market. Americans don't dominate job markets anywhere outside of the US. Even with freedom of movement, EU countries are still dominated by their own nationals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Look, we get that there are legitimate issues out there. But saying stuff like 'as a woman' like your experience is the same as those undergoing real persecution, is quite douchey.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Did I ever even imply that my experience was the same? Of course not.

And if you lok it up, gender studies does not just focus around womankind's plight but also their successes, and celebrating that. And like I have said, I one hundred percent support that. I don't know why you think it's acceptable to accept what the person above with the idiot username insinuated about women not being able to take 'banter'. He's denigrated women and their plight in saying that. Rape for example, is not 'banter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enyav)
    lol did you even read what I wrote? the person above was insinuating that those who study gender studies (women, mainly) cannot take 'banter' and my point is that the systematic oppression of women everywhere in the world is something to be taken seriously and not joked about or dismissed. Which is why i'm all for people learning about the wider contribution women have made to society - on all scales. I think you need to learn how to make inferences before you jump to your child-like and petulant conclusions.
    WS teaches women that they are oppressed full stop. It is a truly self-centered discipline that doesn't give a toss about real oppression. Third wave feminism is a total joke; more than that, it's really quite offensive and spreads toxic and dangerous ideas. If you're happy enough to see yourself as a victim, then that's your prerogative.

By the way, using "lol" like that does not add credibility to your argument. Glad I could help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YaliaV)
    WS teaches women that they are oppressed full stop. It is a truly self-centered discipline that doesn't give a toss about real oppression. Third wave feminism is a total joke; more than that, it's really quite offensive and spreads toxic and dangerous ideas. If you're happy enough to see yourself as a victim, then that's your prerogative.

By the way, using "lol" like that does not add credibility to your argument. Glad I could help.
    i'm actually just laughing at your stupidity. Goodbye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enyav)
    i'm actually just laughing at your stupidity. Goodbye.
    Great argument, well made. I'd expect nothing less from a feminist.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by AppleB)
    NO.
    Teachers are required everywhere all around the globe.
    There is a shortage .

Teachers have the highest employment rates
    Surely you want to be in a job after you graduate

Teachers apparently have the highest salary after graduating
    Teachers have plenty of opportunities to increase their salary by taking up higher positions.

Stick to what you love.

Ignore the STEM BS
    Really? 21K is considered the highest salary after graduating? What Tab article are you reading?!

TLR in schools are hardly used in state schools pre-2015 and the increase of teachers' wages are up by 1%.... (at least in secondary schools).

I want to become a teacher, but right now it's in a crisis and it's just not worth it right now.

But as you said, they'll always be a need for teachers.

ReputationRep:
    And proud
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    Really? 21K is considered the highest salary after graduating? What Tab article are you reading?!
    I lol'ed +1

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You're right, always fit the stereotypes don't they?

ReputationRep:
    People can do what they choose, but looking down on someone doing a vocational/apprenticeship pathway when you're doing an English Language/ History degree is what annoys me most. It's like it doesn't matter what subject you do at uni, if you go to uni you're automatically going to have better prospects than someone who isn't. I took a gap year and got talked down by to so many people who went to uni and did crap subjects. I used to think seriously what are you going to gain from it though? I'm not against uni, I'm now doing a Midwifery degree with 100% employment rate as a midwife straight afterwards and a band 5 starting salary of £23,000. At 22 years old, that's not bad. No fees or uni debt, a good pension, a job for life and lots of room to grow and develop in a profession is what I expect from my degree at university and nothing less. I don't want to spend £50,000 and then have to compete with thousands of other people for a mediocre job afterwards, no thanks.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Jee1)
    Just got myself an apprenticeship in Engineering I should earn over 25k once I qualify proves that you don't need a degree
    It proves that YOU don't need a degree. It doesn't prove a thing for others; such as doctors, nurses, teachers, etc.

Apprenticeships aren't that viable anyway. They pay minimum wage and are very restricting. Some people don't have the option of doing apprenticeships because of where they live and etc.

Unfortunately, you need a degree nowadays because the majority are going to uni which makes it incredibly harder to apply for an £18K salary without a degree.

ReputationRep:

TLR in schools are hardly used in state schools pre-2015 and the increase of teachers' wages are up by 1%.... (at least in secondary schools).

I want to become a teacher, but right now it's in a crisis and it's just not worth it right now.

But as you said, they'll always be a need for teachers.
    Lmfaoooo
    Yeah I did double check that :teehee:
    I personally know teachers that have moved to Australia, New Zealand and Dubai
    There's a need everywhere
    :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Accounting is pointless to do at uni might as well learn on the job instead while studying aat and then acca. Employers might sponsor you to go to a college instead of paying it yourself*
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by inhuman)
    No, teaching is the perfect example of a waste of time.

What's a standard route? Do a degree for three years then a PGCE conversion course to teach something your first degree wasn't even in?

Don't misunderstand, I am not bashing teachers or saying they shouldn't study at a place of higher education. I am saying that the current system is vastly inefficient.
    Excuse me?

In order to qualify for a PGCE course, your degree needs to be at least 50% in the subject you wish to teach. So I really don't understand what you're saying?

Also a PGCE, by definition allows you to teach any subject. But you simply choose which subject to specialize in by picking a PGCE in Secondary English.

You can then go and teach English. But you can have Geography, History, Biology on your timetable because you are legally and professionally allowed to teach any subject. Of course, no school would give you a subject that's outside the applicant's speciality. But I'm just here to clarify your ideas, rather than your self-proclaimed facts.

ReputationRep:
    Excuse me?

In order to qualify for a PGCE course, your degree needs to be at least 50% in the subject you wish to teach. So I really don't understand what you're saying?

Also a PGCE, by definition allows you to teach any subject. But you simply choose which subject to specialize in by picking a PGCE in Secondary English.

You can then go and teach English. But you can have Geography, History, Biology on your timetable because you are legally and professionally allowed to teach any subject. Of course, no school would give you a subject that's outside the applicant's speciality. But I'm just here to clarify your ideas, rather than your self-proclaimed facts.
    You're excused.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/postgrad...-into-teaching

"If your degree subject does not link closely to the subject you intend to teach you may be offered a subject knowledge enhancement course as a part of your application, for some secondary level subject areas."

You are not here to clarify anything, but defend your preset view.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.