University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
Admissions Testing Service Exams Discussion Rules - Please read before posting! 02-11-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    How convenient that my birthday is just a week before I go there - I can ask my friends and family to buy me useful uni stuff as birthday presents! :lol:
    My birthday is a week before too! Good idea 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Medic_12345)
    My birthday is a week before too! Good idea 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    XXIII?

ReputationRep:
    XXIII?
    26th 🙈

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Medic_12345)
    26th 🙈

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hehe I'm older than you
    Respect your elders remember

ReputationRep:
    Hehe I'm older than you
    Respect your elders remember
    Lolol, only 3 days babe, only 3 days

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same as mine

XXIII?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by camaieu)
    Hi! Re: tech things. For MML, I used a Windows laptop in 1st and 2nd year, and then I bought a Mac and used it during my 4th year. I certainly didn't encounter any issues with owning a Windows laptop, even if most people, including supervisors, used Macs. Lots of my mates had Windows computers as well - don't panic!

Re: specs. For MML, you're just going to be writing essays, and maybe taking notes during lectures (although pen and paper always served me well!). So nothing too fancy. Just make sure you've got a word processor and, as far as your academic needs are concerned, you're sorted! Anything else is personal preference and a bonus *
    Thanks a lot for the detailed reply!

Now an off topic question: what languages did you do while studying MML and what are you currently doing (or what are your future perspectives). I'm asking because what people usually tell me when I say I chose to study languages is that I'm going to be poor and without a bright future whatsoever. (But I let them talk, never ever believed them actually). What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Does anybody know how accomodation a King's work? They said that they have a 35 week lease (instead of the 29 week) (quote) "35 week lease (running from October to June minus 2-3 weeks over Christmas)." - does that mean I'll be booted out over Christmas??? Do internationals get special priority for getting these 35 week leases in all three years?
    I think most people don't stay during christmas but I'm pretty sure they rent out accommodation over every holiday. whether you'd then need to rent from the college independently from the term time stuff idk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fodw)
    Supervisors should be able to provide compatible files if you ask them. There is no reason they should expect students to have macs.

Most importantly, most documents are compatible between different computers, in particular pdf. If in doubt, ask for a pdf file.
    Thanks for your quick reply

ReputationRep:
    XXIII?
    (Original post by EricPiphany)
    Same as mine
    You're a day younger than me............and a few years.

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know how accomodation a King's work? They said that they have a 35 week lease (instead of the 29 week) (quote) "35 week lease (running from October to June minus 2-3 weeks over Christmas)." - does that mean I'll be booted out over Christmas??? Do internationals get special priority for getting these 35 week leases in all three years?
    If you need to stay over Christmas, many colleges do allow you to with pre-arrangement. In some cases you may have to move to another room during a holiday stay and go,back to your own room before a term starts, but it shouldn't be too much problem
    In some rare cases, you may even have to go and stay in another college just over Christmas period or go to another college for meals (not many students stay over Christmas, so some colleges co-work to save manpower/cost) .

How each college deal the things over Christmas changes every year as the situation they have varies each year, so you need to speak to the college when you died what you want to do for Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    I think most people don't stay during christmas but I'm pretty sure they rent out accommodation over every holiday. whether you'd then need to rent from the college independently from the term time stuff idk.
    (Original post by vincrows)
    If you need to stay over Christmas, many colleges do allow you to with pre-arrangement. In some cases you may have to move to another room during a holiday stay and go,back to your own room before a term starts, but it shouldn't be too much problem
    In some rare cases, you may even have to go and stay in another college just over Christmas period or go to another college for meals (not many students stay over Christmas, so some colleges co-work to save manpower/cost) .
    Ah, thank you very much. I presume this is the sort of stuff I can email them about in a months time?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, thank you very much. I presume this is the sort of stuff I can email them about in a months time?
    Seen my edit?

They may not know how exactly they might do for this year's Christmas yet, so you may only get 'general' info at this stage.
    But there're always some international students who want to stay in Cambridge over Christmas, so it's never impossible.

ReputationRep:
    Seen my edit?

They may not know how exactly they might do for this year's Christmas yet, so you may only get 'general' info at this stage.
    But there're always some international students who want to stay in Cambridge over Christmas, so it's never impossible.
    Ah, just saw it. That's a big reassurance. Amusing typo btw.

so you need to speak to the college when you died what you want to do for Christmas.
    thanks again.

You're a day younger than me............and a few years.
    There's a few years between me and serine too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerlamps1335)
    I can't believe I got in!! Is anyone else going to St catharines or doing Law??
    Woo! First Catz fresher!

(Catz second-year here.)

ReputationRep:
    Ah, just saw it. That's a big reassurance. Amusing typo btw.

thanks again.
    What if it's not a typo?

(Original post by EricPiphany)
    Same as mine
    Autumn equinox babes

Cambridge in Christmas :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge in Christmas :daydreaming:
    I know right?! I've never seen snow before in my life, ecstatic that the first time I do will be at dreamy Cambridge.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.