Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelstresss)
    Neither are 1.6 billion Muslims

but apparently their ideological connection makes them personally responsible for the actions of hateful people who have no care for the rest of Muslims.
    OH NO

alevelstresss and his 1.6 billion Muslims are back.

Everybody run from his superior argumentation skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iridocyclitis)
    We live in a diverse, multicultural society. Allowing minorities to express their religion should be encouraged and welcomed. So long as it isn't anti-social, why shouldn't people be allowed to express their religious beliefs in this way?
    Ok sure we do, you can freely go to a mosque and pray. But we do not need a call.
    Sure we have a bell but that normally goes on the hour so is kinda useful and it only lasts for a short time and is a part of our culture.

How would it not be anti social?
    Sitting down so how was school yester AMUUUUUUUADHAHSDBWDNASNDPANSDOAN SDONASODNANSADLNAKDNAOSDNNAPDASN DOPASDMAKDPNASKDA.
    Yeah we don't want this,

You have a right to practice your religion but you no way need a call.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McDonough)
    As much as it pains me to say, a move like this might continue to fuel the already growing far right in this country. Thinking about it pragmatically, it's not a good time to introduce something like this sadly.
    It never will be.

The sooner religions are banned from the public sphere the better.

ReputationRep:
    This roughly translates to "I hate Islam so I am uncomfortable with this proposal"
    The non-Muslim Muslim lover strikes again with "you hate Islam". What a classic.

ReputationRep:
    Strangely I agree that we shouldn't have Islamic prayer calls, simply because I've been to Muslim countries and they are a bit noisy, that in a large residential area full of people of all kinds of religions would be unfairly popular of Islam and negligent of other peoples' needs.

But the justification many people are giving here is inherently Islamophobic and bigoted, making up some nonsense about how its 'dominating'.
    So something you find a "bit noisy", others find dominating. But of course you are right, and they are not only wrong but immediately Islamophobic and bigoted.

You're superior powers of logic and reasoning strike yet again.

ReputationRep:
    Some BS excuse about it being dominating is evidence that you just want to criticise it because its Islamic, otherwise you'd have a genuinely reasonable justification, such as it being disruptive or something
    How is dominating not disruptive...
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Be free to worship your own religion, but do it in your own home and leave others in peace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    Ok sure we do, you can freely go to a mosque and pray. But we do not need a call.
    Sure we have a bell but that normally goes on the hour so is kinda useful and it only lasts for a short time and is a part of our culture.

How would it not be anti social?
    Sitting down so how was school yester AMUUUUUUUADHAHSDBWDNASNDPANSDOAN SDONASODNANSADLNAKDNAOSDNNAPDASN DOPASDMAKDPNASKDA.
    Yeah we don't want this,

You have a right to practice your religion but you no way need a call.
    Supply and demand - if it's in an area where the majority of people want it then why not?

I really don't see how occasionally hearing the call to prayer would be a problem. It wouldn't bother me as long as it was restricted in volume. It would just be like occasionally hearing an ice cream truck's music.

ReputationRep:
    agree with Iridocyclitis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catgirlcatgirl)
    Actually as a bell ringer, I know the lyrics to many of the tunes played. Many are in support of white supremacy and very racist. Bell ringing is also done at what could be interpreted as a antisocial hour aka 8 am Sunday morning
    How about some examples of these racist ding dongs, or are you spouting crap?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dozyrosie)
    How about some examples of these racist ding dongs, or are you spouting crap?
    They spell the word "Whites Only" With Morse code over here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iridocyclitis)
    We live in a diverse, multicultural society. Allowing minorities to express their religion should be encouraged and welcomed. So long as it isn't anti-social, why shouldn't people be allowed to express their religious beliefs in this way?
    Because a lot of us don't actually care for the multicultural dream, we are quite content with traditional British/North Western European culture and we would prefer not to see it eroded any further by pandering to non-native cultures, especially backwards and monolithic ones such as Islam.

ReputationRep:
    Did you miss the part where I said "who indirectly supports terrorism without even knowing it"?

You, thinking that Islam is a violent religion, is in agreement with all Islamist militant groups - and your aggressive hatred for Islam contributes towards Muslims feeling segregated and therefore becoming radicalised. You support terrorism indirectly.

And fascism is a modern ideology. Islam was written for a completely different society 1500 years ago. Thankfully the excessive majority of Muslims agree to ignore the violence in the Quran and live perfectly peaceful lives because they are aware of this blatant fact.
    And yet they are not prepared to admit this publicly and campaign for a change.

Because they can't. Because Islam is what it is and that is a dangerous, violent, archaic, barbaric ideology.

One that is so easily exploited. If they really cared, they would bring about change so that these so-called "bad" Muslims, really were shunned. But no. They just say "not one of us" but actions speak lower than words.

ReputationRep:
    This is Great Britain, it is not a muslim nation.

ReputationRep:
    No.*

ReputationRep:
    Have you got proof that I'm not a Muslim? I am atheist and I detest all religion, but I am also a realist, and I know that religion isn't going to magically disappear overnight, even if I hate it to death.
    You have just provided proof that you are not a Muslim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Because non-Muslims would never be afforded the same courtesy if they were the minority.
    Although I am very much against the call, an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind.

Still doesn't permit this tomfoolery though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    I'm shocked at how many people in West and East Ham have signed this petition.
    Not really, have you been there?

ReputationRep:
    Because I laid out a clear pathway of how the collective ignorance of people like you alienates Muslims, which makes them susceptible to isolation and therefore more likely to sympathise with radical beliefs. But logic is probably something you have long since thrown out the window.

And I am against this petition, because it would be noisy and disruptive, not because I want to incriminate Islam with all of my petty life problems - most of which are the conservative government's fault.

Go ahead and criticise, I encourage religious criticism, but you are hating on it - which is slightly different.
    So tell me.

Why should we tread so lightly around Muslims, just so that some of those lunatics don't become extremists?

How about us? Why not tread lightly around us so that some of us don't become extremists?

ReputationRep:
    I live in a majority Muslim area... Couldn't imagine having that racket 5 times a day.

If everyone could play their music that loud, you'd never hear anything. Why does religion constantly demand superior status?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.