Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

It's a disgrace that Britain is not welcoming the Calais refugees watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iridocyclitis)
    These people are desperate. They are forced to live in squalid conditions, with crime and other horrid things commonplace. There are children there.

They just want the chance to enter Britain to escape violence and warfare - and yes for a better life for themselves and their families.

Why are we being so intolerant and inhumane by not welcoming them to our country which has a proud tradition of homing refugees?
    That's just hollow half-assed virtue signalling on your part, and I'm sorry to say my interest lies in actual solutions rather than your reputation.

Importing destitute uneducated migrants from culturally contrasting cultures into the UK to go live in a sink-estate urban ghetto doesn't solve their problems, nor does it really solve ours.
    Their lives are not improved by just opening the gates and then forgetting about them.

Also as an aside, I think if we can't even deal with our own social and economic poverty at home, we shouldn't really be pretending we're in a position to solve it for newcomers.
    There's plenty of neglected and abused kids here, plenty of homeless and destitute people here.
    It's often regarded as racist or xenophobic by the bourgeois to suggest we should be a little more concerned for those we've left behind and neglected here, but the UK really does have more than enough of it's own "charity cases" without needing to take on more.

Finally but the most important point, you don't solve their issues by opening the gates and then forgetting about them because you'll never likely have to live side by side with their problems that have simply been moved here.
    You want to solve the migrant issue? Help their developing economies actually develop. Ween them off aid, provide proper plans of action that help them develop proper economies, provide lasting education so they can think and problem solve their way out of poverty.

Just waving them in isn't a solution. It merely creates more problems and solves none.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    You don't learn English in French schools.

No, no, I really think Britain is more adequate for their needs. Please take them, they are doctors, engineers, lawyers, etc.

Spoiler:
    Show
    French schools don't teach English? i thought they did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    That whistling is the sound of the point going over your head.
    Then make it more clearly, because you've failed to communicate it effectively.

ReputationRep:
    These people are desperate. They are forced to live in squalid conditions, with crime and other horrid things commonplace. There are children there.

They just want the chance to enter Britain to escape violence and warfare - and yes for a better life for themselves and their families.

Why are we being so intolerant and inhumane by not welcoming them to our country which has a proud tradition of homing refugees?
    I completely agree with you, we have a responsibility as a country to do our bit to help these people, some of them only have what is in their pockets as belongings as the rest have been destroyed. We have to deal with the humanitarian crisis especially as we are ourselves involved in aerial bombing so some of this damage we as a country have unfortunately (but not purposely) inflicted upon these people. I completely understand people's concerns about excess refugees such as in Germany but we have not accepted even a fraction of what they have and it makes me ashamed that we are doing so so little to help these people. That is the moral price of war and if we can't help these people individually but also unilaterally then we must withdraw from bombing Syria.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Its easy to distance yourself from the problem that giving these people houses and healthcare means less houses and healthcare for people already here

Its easy to distance yourself from our 1.7 TRILLION £'s of debt when you will be dead in 60 years
    I'm going to die in 60 years? Damn, I was hoping to live until at least 100

Fact: we'll always be in debt and there's honestly nothing we can do about it. Meanwhile, there's something that we can do to help some more of these people and you're really saying that we shouldn't because of something out of our control? I'm not saying 'let them all in' just 'let some more in' because I thought Cameron's number was too low.

Have a great day anyways!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sfairy27)
    I'm going to die in 60 years? Damn, I was hoping to live until at least 100

Fact: we'll always be in debt and there's honestly nothing we can do about it. Meanwhile, there's something that we can do to help some more of these people and you're really saying that we shouldn't because of something out of our control? I'm not saying 'let them all in' just 'let some more in' because I thought Cameron's number was too low.

Have a great day anyways!
    Yeah well thats not true.. i think you might be a little upset when you realise what happens when we can no longer service our debt or borrow more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Then they learn French. And believe it or not, the French aren't total bimbos. They're taught English at school.

Anyway if your heart bleeds for them, why don't you take a few into your own home?
    Lol. The English were probably taught French at school yet I doubt they remember much after years of not practicing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    French schools don't teach English? i thought they did
    Theoretically, yes, but in practice English is taught as a dead language -- like Greek or Latin -- and it is impossible to learn it at school.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah well that's not true.. I think you might be a little upset when you realise what happens when we can no longer service our debt or borrow more
    It's not true that the future and economic climate is uncertain? This is news to me, gee whiz. Anyways, my point still stands but I still hope you have a great day!

ReputationRep:
    It's not true that the future and economic climate is uncertain? This is news to me, gee whiz. Anyways, my point still stands but I still hope you have a great day!
    Eghh ok i will tell you what happens - Hospitals doctors and public dentists close. Any public funded services close. Its real fun

ReputationRep:
    Eghh ok i will tell you what happens - Hospitals doctors and public dentists close. Any public funded services close. Its real fun

With the rate the Tory government is going that will happen anyways... Thanks, shall do : ))

ReputationRep:
    With the rate the Tory government is going that will happen anyways... Thanks, shall do )
    Mummy says she cant afford to give me £30 for makeup.. she may aswell go bankrupt cos im not getting that makeup either way

ReputationRep:
    Mummy says she cant afford to give me £30 for makeup.. she may aswell go bankrupt cos im not getting that makeup either way
    Maybe you could spend that £30 on something that actually matters - like an attitude adjustment* or WaterAid or some form of charitable act

*(sorry, you're probably nice under all the concern you feel over debt - on a serious note)

Okay, maybe that was harsh, but I feel as though you're trying to insinuate that I'm an airhead? Just accept that my worries and concerns are very different to yours. Differences are what make us human and I accept that we can't house every refugee/person in need but that doesn't mean we can't take a few thousand more in my personal opinion.

You don't have to like that this is my opinion, just as I don't have to like yours.

ReputationRep:

You can take them in your house

ReputationRep:
    If they were that desperate they would have claimed asylum in one of the god knows how many countries they trudged through to get to "The Jungle".
    The fact they haven't gives a hint that they are economic migrants just after the financial benefits the UK has to offer.

If I was that desperate I would look at the first country I made it to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BinaryJava)
    Don't worry guys we will just build a few more houses and make a few new jobs to cater for them, whilst also keeping the birth rates high. Also we should just ignore cultural integration and let them make their own splinter groups because that always works out great.
    Yes. And the new generation that will have been born here, educated here, housed here, given free unlimited healthcare whenever it is required will hate us and the country who gave their parents a chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Can I go get refugee status in America even though I am currently in a safe country and not currently fleeing any war or natural disaster? If the answer is no then apply this consistently as it is similar to the people in Calais.

If we are going to help anyone it should be the people who are actually in trouble in the country's where the conflict is going on not the people who had the money to escape.
    Agree with you wholeheartedly. I often think how nice it would be to be able to live on a tropical island somewhere. But just because I want to ,it doesn't give me the right to just up-sticks and go and legally live in Fiji.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 89cruefan)
    The fact they haven't gives a hint that they are economic migrants just after the financial benefits the UK has to offer.
    They would get more benefits in France, but they are attracted by the lack of real identification document in the UK. I was very surprised by the fact that British unis or employer don't ask for ID, whilst you can't get a job or enroll in a university without one in France (you can't even apply without one). The police also has much less power in the UK.

British employers should be required to check the identity of their employees.

ReputationRep:
    I think the UK should give full citizenship, possibly a new identity, and a financial reward, to any illegal immigrant that denounces their smugglers, or illegal employers or landlord. That would shut the door of illegal immigration pretty fast.

ReputationRep:

Why should Britain home third world savages and risk the security of its citizens? Also, they are in France which is a save and rich country. Nobody is persecuting them there.

You are probably a muslim yourself so that is why you opened this thread.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 23, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.