The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!
    I often get very into these type of questions and find that the original article which I was basing the answer on will lead me to investigate it further and further and so on. With this in mind do you think I should just use one article or a pool of articles? perhaps mentioning that my interest caused me to delve deeper to which I then read...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thornton123456)
    Thanks!
    I often get very into these type of questions and find that the original article which I was basing the answer on will lead me to investigate it further and further and so on. With this in mind do you think I should just use one article or a pool of articles? perhaps mentioning that my interest caused me to delve deeper to which I then read...
    You don't repeat the article(s) - you don't even have to name the article. Summarise the general theme of the "story" - why it has happened, and interesting or unique features of it, what's influenced it, what the potential outcomes could be (if there isn't one already).

Don't repeat facts from it, focus more on the analytical side.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, had a general question I was hoping someone might be able to answer, apologies if it sounds ridiculous. When everyone says 'apply as early as possible', how early is the 'cut off' ? Suppose I mean an application with an early October opening that closes in Jan, would applying the first week of November be unwise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ana_96)
    Hi, had a general question I was hoping someone might be able to answer, apologies if it sounds ridiculous. When everyone says 'apply as early as possible', how early is the 'cut off' ? Suppose I mean an application with an early October opening that closes in Jan, would applying the first week of November be unwise?
    Yes, November will be fine.

Try to apply in the first two thirds of the application window. You'll probably be ahead of around two thirds of the total applicants then.

People stress applying early but there is a risk you apply too early. Some people who are not really fully clued up about how to approach applications let themselves down by applying too early with a poor application form, that might have been stronger if they had waited until they found out more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Yes, November will be fine.

Try to apply in the first two thirds of the application window. You'll probably be ahead of around two thirds of the total applicants then.

People stress applying early but there is a risk you apply too early. Some people who are not really fully clued up about how to approach applications let themselves down by applying too early with a poor application form, that might have been stronger if they had waited until they found out more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks! Was also hoping you might have some advice on including a legal work experience on an application that I won't have actually been to yet. So in the middle of novemember I have a great in-house placement that is actually with one of the clients of my top firm, but I am unsure whether I can use this in my application. If I were to do so I would obviously include what I aim to gain from it and why I think it is important for my legal development, commitment to law etc. This placement also shows a commitment to real estate which is this firms key practice area, and allows me to demonstrate my knowledge in such. I am a non law student so I feel as though any last work experience, especially legal, is crucial to have.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!
    Vast majority of people leave it until term ends in December and apply sometime from then onwards. I've known firms to get over 50% of their applications in the last few days.

Applying early gives you greater opportunity (in that if you are short listed you get first choice of interview dates/scheme dates etc), but it isn't vital to apply ASAP, just being ahead of the majority of other applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Vast majority of people leave it until term ends in December and apply sometime from then onwards. I've known firms to get over 50% of their applications in the last few days.

Applying early gives you greater opportunity (in that if you are short listed you get first choice of interview dates/scheme dates etc), but it isn't vital to apply ASAP, just being ahead of the majority of other applicants.

Sorry edited my post after you replied to this with another question above, was hoping you might have any advice on the matter.

New to the student room so not very good at knowing where to reply yet, apologies!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry edited my post after you replied to this with another question above, was hoping you might have any advice on the matter.

New to the student room so not very good at knowing where to reply yet, apologies!
    You include it but provide little to no detail on it.

For instance if you have a work experience section and you have to list the employer and dates, you don't have to repeat this information in the description.

If it is not clear you will gain something like real estate experience. You can add a sentence like: "Future in-house legal internship where I will gain exposure to Real Estate matters".

There is no point adding any detail than this as it is either speculative or unnecessary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't shortlisted for Ashurst unfortunately, was probably setting my sights too high I guess but must push on. Looks like they are starting to sort through applications nonetheless.

Have an open day next Friday to look forward to [or dread].

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    You include it but provide little to no detail on it.

For instance if you have a work experience section and you have to list the employer and dates, you don't have to repeat this information in the description.

If it is not clear you will gain something like real estate experience. You can add a sentence like: "Future in-house legal internship where I will gain exposure to Real Estate matters".

There is no point adding any detail than this as it is either speculative or unnecessary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Brilliant, so only really listing it as legal experience or as you say to highlight real estate exposure, thank you again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pulse.)
    Wasn't shortlisted for Ashurst unfortunately, was probably setting my sights too high I guess but must push on. Looks like they are starting to sort through applications nonetheless.

Have an open day next Friday to look forward to [or dread].

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi, sorry to hear that! When did you apply? I sent my application on Monday and currently waiting to hear back from them...

ReputationRep:
    In the work experience section of the Jones Day application, they ask how we go obtained the work experience. Would a vacation scheme be 'through an advertisement' or an 'unsolicited application'?

ReputationRep:
    How are people applying so early when most firms only open applications on the 1st October????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deatheater4134)
    How are people applying so early when most firms only open applications on the 1st October????
    Because the firms that people have applied to already opened applications in early September

ReputationRep:
    When a question asks what I enjoy doing in my spare time, should I talk about my responsibilities in a University Society or simply my hobbies?

ReputationRep:
    Just received an email from JD about the reference, one week after I sent my application. Very, very nervous...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FeminineEminem)
    When a question asks what I enjoy doing in my spare time, should I talk about my responsibilities in a University Society or simply my hobbies?
    If you haven't been asked about your positions of responsibility, then include both these and your hobbies. If there is another section where you have already discussed your positions of responsibility, then don't repeat the information.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    Just received an email from JD about the reference, one week after I sent my application. Very, very nervous...
    Will almost certainly result in an interview so don't worry too much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    Did you apply for winter, spring or summer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've just tried to fill in an application for Linklaters but my school won't come up for the 'where did you study your A Levels?' and so I can't proceed to the next page. Has anyone else had the same problem?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.