The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Scroll to see replies

Had a question about the Jones Day cover letter. Since they talk about rounded training and working across practice areas, would the application seem less tailored to them if I talked about my interest in a practice area?

Thanks!
Original post by J-SP
There will be somewhere. These systems are always built with an "other" option for these type of quirks.

Contact the GR team and ask them to walk you through it.

No, I don't think you understand. I tried typing several other schools that I didn't go to, just knew they were well known, and nothing came up. I type in any letter, and the only option is 'nothing found' or something like that.

But yes, I'll have to speak to someone from GR.
Original post by dlaiden
Hey all - I've been lucky enough to already secure a TC for 2019 at Clifford Chance, but I'll hang around this thread to share my experiences of interviewing successfully at CC, Slaughter and May and Pinsent Masons + try to answer general app questions. The 2016 thread was super useful to me so I'll try my best to help people where I can - just quote me!

Original post by Conzy210
Repped.

I also have secured a TC this year, with Slaughters, but I'll also be about on this thread if anyone has any questions. I also completed a Vacation Scheme at Linklaters, and turned down a scheme at Hogan Lovells. Much like the above poster I'm very grateful to users of TSR throughout the years, so would like to help if possible.

well done both of you! i was just wondering what made you pick your firms and discard others? i'm a bit overwhelmed with options at the moment :') i have an average of 68.5% first year , finishing first in property law in my year , and an average of 71.75% second year , coming second in my year overall at UCL. i really like the look of norton rose and slaughter , but tbh i really think i could work at any of them - i just need an understanding of what they're like on the inside. that's what kind of put me off clifford chance , although i'm applying anyway
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SarahUniversity
I've just tried to fill in an application for Linklaters but my school won't come up for the 'where did you study your A Levels?' and so I can't proceed to the next page. Has anyone else had the same problem?

i'm having the exact same problem - i've sent them an email so i'll let you know if i get a reply :smile:
Original post by hodgey111
Hope not as I have an interview next Monday for the winter scheme. Where did you hear this?

The JD Question Time event at their office. She told me that the majority of winter apps have been filled and a few left to interview. So I am selecting Easter as my number 1 pick and then summer as number 2 on the form.
Original post by hotliketea
i'm having the exact same problem - i've sent them an email so i'll let you know if i get a reply :smile:

Ah perfect, thank you!
Original post by giggy12s
The JD Question Time event at their office. She told me that the majority of winter apps have been filled and a few left to interview. So I am selecting Easter as my number 1 pick and then summer as number 2 on the form.

Brilliant!

Oh well. Hopefully I do well at interview and they offer me a place on an alternative scheme or something.
Hey everyone, just a very quick question.
My friend and I can't come to terms with the following:

In a standard "list your extra-curricular activities and any positions of responsibility held", would you also consider talking about any part-time job you had in addition to strict extra-curricular ones (such as sport clubs and societies?)
Reply 188
Has anyone who's had an interview with Jones Day heard back yet? Its driving me crazy!!
Original post by J-SP
No - part-time jobs should be included in any work experience section.

Thank you, I thought that would be the case!
Original post by alexbev
Has anyone who's had an interview with Jones Day heard back yet? Its driving me crazy!!

Nope but I'm like that too! They did say 2-3 weeks however.
Reply 191
Original post by pumpkin717
Nope but I'm like that too! They did say 2-3 weeks however.

Ah I never asked them so that is reassuring! Just started to worry with someone else on the thread saying that most places had been filled! Good luck to you :smile:
currently completing my Herbert Smith Freehills application. met lots of their representatives at events before and they seem like a really engaging and forward thinking firm. office is nice and easy to get to aswell haha
Original post by alexbev
Ah I never asked them so that is reassuring! Just started to worry with someone else on the thread saying that most places had been filled! Good luck to you :smile:

Thanks! You too :smile:
Reply 194
Original post by the_wallflower
I emailed them to ask and they said November. They also said the website has been updated to reflect this but clearly not ahah

Thank you!
Can I ask a question of any graduates who are currently working full time. When you have interviews do you just request a day of holiday leave from your job or do you pull a sicky? My current job can't know I'm applying for other jobs and I'm feeling a tad awkward about it :redface:
Kinda stumped by how to approach this question.

How do you think a career in law will affect your lifestyle?

It's a part of one question which also asks why law and why this firm and has a 250 word limit.

Are they expecting us to acknowledge that late nights will happen? Does it want us to show how we intend to develop?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Original post by traineewannabe
Can I ask a question of any graduates who are currently working full time. When you have interviews do you just request a day of holiday leave from your job or do you pull a sicky? My current job can't know I'm applying for other jobs and I'm feeling a tad awkward about it :redface:

I've done both before. If my employer did not or would not grant holiday for the day of the interview, I pulled a sicky. Luckily, 2/3 of my holiday requests for interviews were granted.
Original post by hodgey111
I've done both before. If my employer did not or would not grant holiday for the day of the interview, I pulled a sicky. Luckily, 2/3 of my holiday requests for interviews were granted.

Good to know, thanks!
Original post by J-SP
My advice when I have been in this position is utilising or making up any on-going medical treatment, and a mixture of annual leave. Its easy to explain reoccurring time off for doctors/dentist appointments, especially if you don't need a full day off. Plus organisations don't want to stop you from getting medical treatment if there is a risk you will then being off sick.

It doesn't even have to be anything major, I've known people who have said they have had on-going dental treatment when I know they have really been going for interviews.

If it was me, if I needed a full day I'd take annual leave. If it was half a day, I'd use an appointment as an excuse and make the time off up over the rest of the week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending