Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would your reaction be if your son came out as a transgender? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BasharAssad)
    i'd probably hang myself
    a solution that works for everyone

ReputationRep:
    A little off topic, but these people in the thread that ridicule opinions that don't agree with their own and then seem to think that they are standing on higher moral grounds are so disappointing. Oh I forgot, this isn't 2016, where people can express their opinions without being in fear of legal, social or physical repercussions. This is 2016, where the only opinions you can express is the ones that are politically correct (which is just fascism all dressed up with a bow) otherwise you're in danger of legal, social and physical repercussions . If so, how far have we really progressed? I'm aware that a society can go from one extreme to the other, a full circle back into a totalitarian state you thought you damned well moved on from.

Seriously, opinions cannot not harm someone physically; and if you are unable to the accept the possibility that someone holding an opinion other than your own, then I don't think you are fit to even be talking to people.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't disown them, but I would be very disappointed

ReputationRep:
    It's amazing how many people are readily prepared to declare their own children dead to them before they are even born. Just based on something they don't agree on and in the end has nothing to do with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    It's amazing how many people are readily prepared to declare their own children dead to them before they are even born. Just based on something they don't agree on and in the end has nothing to do with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Before they are even born?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Looks like someone's triggered loooool
    why do you act like a 12 year old?

ReputationRep:
    Jesus camp?

Isn't this largely what Jesus camp is for? :K:

ReputationRep:
    So what? Whatever someone is, they are whatever they are. If that makes grammatical sense.

If my son said that he would prefer to be in the body of a female I wouldn't mind one bit. Whatever (shouldn't really use that term; it's rather subjective) he would be happy as is more important than potentially obstructive, personal opinion. Life should be lived the way you want to, and the life of your son should patently come before your own, including doing whatever to fulfil theirs as much as possible.

Of course, I may feel some trepidation. He would be going through a procedure many have opposition to and any rational person would hold no such feeling towards it. As a result, as a she, he would be entering a world with persons who would negatively judge him and I would be afraid of how he, as a she, would be perceived.

In summary, all these issues would be discussed thoroughly with him but I would give him complete support in whatever he wants to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    I have drank, I don't drink very often at all.
    ****ing idiot that's got lucky so far?

(Original post by ivybridge)
    What does that have to do with anything? From what I've read, it seems to me that the rate is higher because of the level of problems the LGBTQIA+ community faces socially. Many gay people try and escape or lose hope and turn to those substances, which cause them harm.
    I'm confused how someone that clearly understands and has experienced prejudice can be so blind to their own even when that prejudice disproportionately impacts the very same group you seek to defend from prejudice.

ReputationRep:
    "Ok".

To me, it'd mean very little. (same if my child turned out homosexual/bisexual) I would happily pay for their transition surgery if that's what they wish to have, and I'd continue to support them as I would regardless.

ReputationRep:
    If I had a transgender kid, then I would be fully supportive of them, because all I'd want for, well, anyone really, not just my own flesh and blood, is for them to be happy and comfortable with themselves, as long as this doesn't involve illegal activities.

However, this does not mean I'd allow them to jump immediately into hormones and surgeries, because the majority of people who regret doing these things are people that never saw any professionals, or only saw one for a short time, so I'd make sure my kid understands all of the options available for them to avoid that kind of scenario. I also understand that transgendered people can start hormones from the age of 16 in the UK, however, I'd probably prefer that they wait until they're about 20, so that they know they're not being influenced by hormones from puberty any more (as for some teenagers who come out as trans, it is just a phase). Of course, this does not mean that I won't do everything I can to make them feel comfortable until then.

ReputationRep:
    "No matter how you dress or whatever hormones you take, you will always be a man because God made you as a man. You're just deluded and only faith in Jesus Christ can help you."

I would not allow him to dress like a woman under any circumstances. It would be unloving for me, as his Father, to allow him to continue living a life of delusion.

# Trapz99;67201190 --JUST SUPPORT DADDY...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Now I'm confused; you refer to your transgender friend as "her", but I was under the impression that she is a female-to-male trans-person?
    When she was playing with Action Men, it was a her, now they're a he

ReputationRep:
    "No matter how you dress or whatever hormones you take, you will always be a man because God made you as a man. You're just deluded and only faith in Jesus Christ can help you."

I would not allow him to dress like a woman under any circumstances. It would be unloving for me, as his Father, to allow him to continue living a life of delusion.
    There is nothing in our religion (you are Christian I pressume) that states anything for or against an individuals gender identity. So you must forgive me for wondering where this idea of 'delusion' has come from, for surely it has not come from the religion which you do so appear to be hiding behind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    I would nail him to my cross.. he must pay for his sins
    Don't mean to sound rude, but do you realise what the cross symbolises in Christianity?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Christianity requires us to respect every human being and so we should respect their decisions to become a member of the LGBT community?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue n white army)
    I'd be fine with it, as long as they are fine with being removed from my will and moving out of my house.
    damn you a ****ing savage
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I can't believe some people have the audacity to claim that people who support this are stopping freedom of speech and being politically correct. I am all for free speech and you are entitled to your opinions but the way some people are going about this, it's as if the LGBT community should be removed altogether. It should be a RIGHT and we shouldn't have to bring political correctness into this because it's the LAW to not discriminate! The same goes for racism, antisemitism, etc. Freedom of speech needs limits if you think it should extend to open hostility because I'm afraid that's where the line needs to be drawn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cali8re)
    Before they are even born?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes. These children will exist in the future. They are yet to be born.

ReputationRep:

Gosh, you sound so sympathetic.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.