The Student Room Group

Maths C3 - Trigonometry... Help??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by B_9710
That's right.

Thanks a lot for your help :smile: :smile:
Original post by Philip-flop
C3 EXE6D Q10.png

Ok so for part b my basic Maths knowledge seems to be letting me down. I've solved this up until...

c2=(16a2)1(16a2) c^2 = \frac {(\frac{16}{a^2})}{1 - (\frac{16}{a^2})}

But then I'm not quite sure how to simplify it from there. The denominator scares me a little :frown:
Ok so for part b my basic Maths knowledge seems to be letting me down. I've solved this up until...

c2=(16a2)1(16a2) c^2 = \frac {(\frac{16}{a^2})}{1 - (\frac{16}{a^2})}

But then I'm not quite sure how to simplify it from there. The denominator scares me a little :frown:

Multiply the fraction by a2a2\displaystyle \frac{a^2}{a^2}
Original post by RDKGames
Multiply the fraction by a2a2\displaystyle \frac{a^2}{a^2}

And that'll give me...

c2=16a216 c^2 = \frac{16}{a^2 - 16} .... right?

How did you know to multiply by a2a2 \frac{a^2}{a^2} ?? I'm not sure I know how to properly :frown:

Edit: also, just wondering.. How do you increase the font of just the text written in latex form?
(edited 7 years ago)
And that'll give me...

c2=16a216 c^2 = \frac{16}{a^2 - 16} .... right?

How did you know to multiply by a2a2 \frac{a^2}{a^2} ?? I'm not sure I know how to properly :frown:

Yep, and I knew I had to multiply by that because I wanted the (second) denominator to go away, so I had to choose a2a^2. I cannot multiply only one term, so I had to multiply through the whole denominator by it. If I'm multiplying through the whole denominator, I must also multiply the whole numerator by the same thing. Hence a2a^2 on both.
Yep, and I knew I had to multiply by that because I wanted the (second) denominator to go away, so I had to choose a2a^2. I cannot multiply only one term, so I had to multiply through the whole denominator by it. If I'm multiplying through the whole denominator, I must also multiply the whole numerator by the same thing. Hence a2a^2 on both.

Wow you really are a Maths wizard to me!! Are there any good videos/resources dealing with algebraic fractions when there are more than one term in the denominator and where there are fractions in the numerator and denominator? It's definitely something I need to work on :frown:
Just to add on to the above post, remember a2a2 \frac{a^2}{a^2} is just 1...

so you're not changing the value, you're just changing its form/appearance...
Wow you really are a Maths wizard to me!! Are there any good videos/resources dealing with algebraic fractions when there are more than one term in the denominator and where there are fractions in the numerator and denominator? It's definitely something I need to work on :frown:

r u srs u did this in chapter 1

Not really, it's nothing significant enough to make videos about, just a simple manipulation you get used to when you deal with enough of these cases.
Original post by Naruke
r u srs u did this in chapter 1

In these kind of cases I'm not that comfortable with it :frown:

I never would have known to multiply by.. a2a2 \frac{a^2}{a^2}...for the example above.

(I know my Maths knowledge sucks but I never said I was a natural)
(edited 7 years ago)
In these kind of cases I'm not that comfortable with it :frown:

I never would have known to multiply by.. a2a2 \frac{a^2}{a^2}...for the example above.

(I know my Maths knowledge sucks but I never said I was a natural)

The reason why maths is such a great thing is because there are so many ways to go about solving problems. What that RDK kid did above was just one way of solving it...

You could have easily just did

c216a2116a2 c^2 \equiv \frac{\frac{16}{a^2}}{1-\frac{16}{a^2}}
(common denominators, you learned this in the earlier chapters to!)c216a2a216a2 c^2 \equiv \frac{\frac{16}{a^2}}{\frac{a^2 - 16}{a^2}}
c216a2×a2a216 c^2 \equiv \frac{16}{a^2} \times \frac{a^2}{a^2 - 16} (You probably learned this in KS1... abcdab×dc) \frac{\frac{a}{b}}{\frac{c}{d}} \Rightarrow \frac{a}{b} \times \frac{d}{c})
from there it's just a simple case of cancelling the a2 a^2 and multiplying.

I don't think there is a lot of gaps in your knowledge. I think you just need to practice using the skills you've acquired in previous chapters in unusual circumstances.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Naruke
The reason why maths is such a great thing is because there are so many ways to go about solving problems. What that RDK kid did above was just one way of solving it...

Okay, kid, lay off the identity signs, the expressions aren't identical :tongue:
Okay, kid, lay off the identity signs, the expressions aren't identical :tongue:

lmao

this is a free country I'm allowed to use any sign I want

leave me alone
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Naruke
lmao

this is a free country I'm allowed to use any sign I want

leave me alone

I bet you're a Trump supporter who wants to deport all those awkward division signs with a line and two dots.

Why?

The 'c' and 'a' are substitutions so it's not really a problem calling it an identity IMO.
(edited 7 years ago)

Huh?
Original post by notnek
Why?

The 'c' and 'a' are substitutions so it's not really a problem calling it an identity IMO.

Original post by Zacken
Huh?

lol you guys....

Spoiler

lol you guys....

Spoiler

Didn't want to embarrass you but it seems they have

it's a shame really
Original post by Naruke
Didn't want to embarrass you but it seems they have

it's a shame really