Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just 6% of people got these basic science questions right. How well will you do? Watch

• Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    11/12, the one I got wrong I put the correct answer and then doubted myself

But astrology isn't science.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Disgusting how many people lack common knowledge, the bit everybody keeps quiet is how on every question men are more likely to get it right than women, but then again, saying that would probably get people shouting "sexist" at you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Disgusting how many people lack common knowledge, the bit everybody keeps quiet is how on every question men are more likely to get it right than women, but then again, saying that would probably get people shouting "sexist" at you.
    "Disgusting", bit much lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RossB1702)
    "Disgusting", bit much lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know people are stupid, and that most education systems don't educate very well, but it's still bad.

ReputationRep:
    I know people are stupid, and that most education systems don't educate very well, but it's still bad.
    Suppose, I don't think most education systems don't educate well though, people most likely just don't pay attention in class and don't care about going to uni and getting a good job etc, so they just leave school with hardly any qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    Was probably a trick question, many people confuse astronomy and astrology. Or at least more than you think

And the purpose of the test is to assess scientific knowledge not ability. So it's not a case of being "good" at science, but merely how much you know. To measure how good a person is at science, a more IQ style test would be more appropriate.

Although undoubtedly knowledge of science and scientific ability are related.
    This quiz hardly includes any scientific knowledge though ;-;

Plus it shouldn't be important just how many definitions people remember from school. Which is the main reason I don't like this quiz, it doesn't test anything meaningful.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nadile)
    Except:
    Different types of cosmic objects
    waves
    The structure of the Earth
    Gravity
    What a light year is
    The effect of pressure on boiling points
    Dodgily, refraction
    More on waves
    Trivial statistical analysis
    Nuclear fuel
    What famous scientists have done

Yeah, hardly anything and totally heavily based on definitions.

ReputationRep:
    Except:
    Different types of cosmic objects
    waves
    The structure of the Earth
    Gravity
    What a light year is
    The effect of pressure on boiling points
    Dodgily, refraction
    More on waves
    Trivial statistical analysis
    Nuclear fuel
    What famous scientists have done

Yeah, hardly anything and totally heavily based on definitions.
    12 questions is not enough to test ones scientific knowledge. Yeah, it covered lots of topics but it didn't actually check anyone's knowledge on any of them.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    12 questions is not enough to test ones scientific knowledge. Yeah, it covered lots of topics but it didn't actually check anyone's knowledge on any of them.
    "facts, information, and skills acquired through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject. "

So it checking what information and facts you know isn't testing their knowledge?

ReputationRep:
    "facts, information, and skills acquired through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject. "

So it checking what information and facts you know isn't testing their knowledge?
    It is, but 12 questions isn't going to check how good their knowledge is. If I got lucky then I could probably answer 12 questions about history correctly. Does that mean I have good knowledge on history? No. If I got unlucky then I could answer 12 questions about physics wrong, they could just be the few things that I don't know. That doesn't change the fact that I am a 3rd year physics student, aiming for a 1st in my degree.

The questions asked are not all too bad, but there is few of them and they are very random and short. This quiz doesn't check what someone's scientific knowledge is simply because it covers next to nothing.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It is, but 12 questions isn't going to check how good their knowledge is. If I got lucky then I could probably answer 12 questions about history correctly. Does that mean I have good knowledge on history? No. If I got unlucky then I could answer 12 questions about physics wrong, they could just be the few things that I don't know. That doesn't change the fact that I am a 3rd year physics student, aiming for a 1st in my degree.

The questions asked are not all too bad, but there is few of them and they are very random and short. This quiz doesn't check what someone's scientific knowledge is simply because it covers next to nothing.
    Bring us your 1001 question comprehensive test that nobody will do then that tests detailed scientific knowledge

ReputationRep:
    It said I got 9/12, but I checked the answers and I answered 11/12 right, so something strange went on there. I don't suppose it matters either way, but it's somewhat odd- I guess I must have inadvertently clicked different answers to the ones I was trying to select.

ReputationRep:

Plus it shouldn't be important just how many definitions people remember from school. Which is the main reason I don't like this quiz, it doesn't test anything meaningful.
    It does test scientific knowledge perhaps to not PhD standard, but its targeted toward the general public?

It's a pop quiz, what do you expect?

ReputationRep:

No offense but you're coming across a little arrogant here. To say that as a final year undergraduate there's only a "few things you don't know" about physics is a little arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    11/12

Stupid boiling water question >:C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    No offense but you're coming across a little arrogant here. To say that as a final year undergraduate there's only a "few things you don't know" about physics is a little arrogant.
    Ah I didn't mean that there's only a few things I don't know ^_^" i completely failed at wording that because I was just trying to refer to the few questions that this quiz has. It made sense to me back when I wrote it.

Still, my general point is that someone could get 0 on a 12 question quiz but still have a vast scientific knowledge, just in different areas. It just frustrates me that such a big deal was made of the results people got on this quiz because the questions are so random and the knowledge they test is actually useless to the general public, making it very easy to forget.

ReputationRep:
    8/12 and proud

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.