Britain MUST take in more refugees

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Taking in refugees is a terrible long-term solution (issues with integration, not combating the problem at the source/diverting resources away from combating the problem at the source, encouraging long and perilous journeys for refugees, etc), just like paying hostage ransoms is a bad idea when thought about critically. If it wasn't so (geo)politically unpalatable it would be best to carve out a safe haven for refugees in Iraq (which is really what the UN should be doing). Of course Russia wouldn't appreciate this, nor the general population who think we should have hundreds of thousands of soldiers but not use them in any mildly-significant way. So instead the EU has to take the social and economic burden of housing a large portion of these people, screwing up our main trading partners (what could go wrong?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    The_Opinion Peroxidation Betelgeuse- have you lot seen this thread? I only just discovered it today lol.
    I posted just a few posts above you brah.. TSR is in danger of becoming seriously woke 2k16

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    I posted just a few posts above you brah.. TSR is in danger of becoming seriously woke 2k16
    Oh did ya? I will read

ReputationRep:
    Wow, if Tim Farron says we need to be taking in more refugees then why the hell aren't we doing it!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeclanThatcher)
    Oh god, see he proves your point wrong, he isn't uneducated as hes already got a masters and undergraduate degree, yet he voted leave? hmm strange.
    He definitely proved to be a xenophobe and nationalist though

i think you should do some in depth reading of Voltaire and learn to accept other people's views without judging them so harshly, its hypocritical at best. =)
    No, I refuse to accept xenophobic and nationalist views and I will always judge them harshly as they are disgusting, dangerous, and a hallmark of the uneducated.

ReputationRep:
    As you can see not one of my motives had anything at all to do with immigration or 'xenophobia', i have proved your point wrong two times today.
    All of your -very weak- points have to do with nationalism though, and your contributions to this thread strongly suggest you're a xenophobe. Your poor reasoning skills and many spelling mistakes also suggest that you are uneducated.

What you have proven twice today is that you are an intellectual lightweight, son.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    Your ignorance is astounding Attachment 581746
    Show me where you map makes mention of Yemen, Saudi and Qatar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    Show me where you map makes mention of Yemen, Saudi and Qatar
    It doesn't need to

(Original post by MrsSheldonCooper) Wouldn't some people love to live in Saudi because of how religious it is? I don't get the logic of some migrants. Barely any have gone to other Muslim countries. see less

She claimed that barely any refugees have gone to other Muslim counties, not that barely any had gone to Qatar, Saudi and Yemen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    It doesn't need to

(Original post by MrsSheldonCooper) Wouldn't some people love to live in Saudi because of how religious it is? I don't get the logic of some migrants. Barely any have gone to other Muslim countries. see less

She claimed that barely any refugees have gone to other Muslim counties, not that barely any had gone to Qatar, Saudi and Yemen
    they named 3 you should address the countries they named in the first sentence rather then pretending they didn't say it (as you have done in your quote)

But as you know the facts how many have these 3 muslim countries taken?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowMan)
    I don't propose that they all come to the UK nor have they all actually come to the UK. A minority of refugees were accepted by the UK compared to its size (relative to the huge numbers accepted by Germany, Sweden, Hungary, etc).
    But what about all the refugees in Calais trying to cross to the UK?
    They are all being refused sanctuary. This is actually taking their human rights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mvine001)
    But what about all the refugees in Calais trying to cross to the UK?
    They are all being refused sanctuary. This is actually taking their human rights.
    I don't know about the particulars of the Calais case. All I expressed was a principle: that each civilised country has, by international law, an obligation to accept refugees fleeing from war.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about the particulars of the Calais case. All I expressed was a principle: that each civilised country has, by international law, an obligation to accept refugees fleeing from war.
    That's the thing! Most of the people in Calais are running from a war.

ReputationRep:
    That's the thing! Most of the people in Calais are running from a war.
    Again, in which case, all EU countries, all civilised, stable countries must offer asylum (or whatever that is called) to those who're refugees. In proportion to their population.

ReputationRep:
    Again, in which case, all EU countries, all civilised, stable countries must offer asylum (or whatever that is called) to those who're refugees. In proportion to their population.
    OK. Some stay in those countries, but the vast majority are still heading towards the UK.

ReputationRep:
    OK. Some stay in those countries, but the vast majority are still heading towards the UK.
    The UK is not obliged to take more refugees from Calais in particular but it must take far, far more refugees than it does now (which is not much 'cos right now, Sweden, a country of 9 million people, takes 4 times as many as the UK)

ReputationRep:
    The UK is not obliged to take more refugees from Calais in particular but it must take far, far more refugees than it does now (which is not much 'cos right now, Sweden, a country of 9 million people, takes 4 times as many as the UK)
    That's my point. I think the last government party was too strict on them, especially that stupid man, Nigel Farrage.

ReputationRep:
    at least take in the kids

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by renphobia)
    at least take in the kids
    What if that splits up families?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    :laugh: :naughty:

ReputationRep:
    What if that splits up families?
    i totally agree with bringing more refugees in. that was aimed at the people who refuse all refugees no matter what. in such a huge humanitarian issue; it would be wrong of us not to stand up and help in whatever way we can.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.