Why do so many people want to get in relationships?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is it a relationship they want, or is it sex? That's the question that should be asked. It is no secret that the sexual and social revolution, that has been gradually developing since the 1910s, has changed public perception on marriage and relationships. People are a lot more desperate nowadays because they're told to be. It is the mark of the sexually obsessed. Marriage is diminishing because of the responsibility that is being pushed away from adolescents.

ReputationRep:
    Relationships are nice. It really is. You have someone that will support your no matter what and feeling loved is nice. Me and my bf are virgins and we don't necessarily want sex. I guess it depends on the person. Some just really want sex I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel 96)
    Is it a relationship they want, or is it sex? That's the question that should be asked. It is no secret that the sexual and social revolution, that has been gradually developing since the 1910s, has changed public perception on marriage and relationships. People are a lot more desperate nowadays because they're told to be. It is the mark of the sexually obsessed. Marriage is diminishing because of the responsibility that is being pushed away from adolescents.
    I've met a few guys where it's just been sex they're after. One said as much. He then wondered why I refused to meet up with him. We didn't even know each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhaenys10)
    and btw, why not tennis? =))
    Well Im just good at quick reflexes, precision technique and agility rather than the more power based strokes in tennis.

Also badminton is indoors so its less hot and weather dependant

(Original post by Rhaenys10)
    http://int.barilla.com/ =)))'the taste of italy'

don't have any bread left lol; went out a bit too late yesterday, and the shops were already closed, so no sandwiches for today; when i feel too hungry i'll just go out and buy some

not much, rn i'm touching up on an article and later i wanna study... hopefully i'll also write my PS tomorrow and send off my uni application
    Taste of Italy hmmm- did you feel Italian when you ate it tho? :holmes:

Hows the PS coming along? Mines at about 3850 characters so Ill be sending mine off soon too

(Original post by katy-grace)
    wish there more guys like you tbh
    reminds me of these memes :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    its nice to have girl friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    I've met a few guys where it's just been sex they're after. One said as much. He then wondered why I refused to meet up with him. We didn't even know each other.
    Yes, people just love talking about it and are so open about it. It seems to me that we've turned into this Lady Chatterley society where sex is like tennis and it's just something you do without any further consequence or devotion. The sacred bond between two peoples is precious, and it's unfortunately being drowned out by the barrage of sex-infused media coverage. Everyone has to talk about it, everyone has to watch it, listen to it, partake in it, it has to be in your favourite lyrics, in your favourite movies, television, books; it's everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AllegedLegends)
    I suppose we're different kinds of people. I feel it profoundly. In my own home I find it difficult to sleep because it's so quiet and I know I'm alone. When I visit family I sleep straight away - just because there are other people in the house, watching TV/sleeping.

I can enjoy my own company but I don't like to be 'stuck' in my own company for prolonged periods - which is basically what living alone feels like to me. I can enjoy a good TV Drama for a couple of hours in the evening - or stuff where I'm keeping busy like cooking/laundry. But anything where I start to notice the silence is hard - reading, sleeping, early mornings. The radio is pretty good for company especially first thing in the morning when it's dark and cold - but still, even saying that feels sad to be honest.
    As soon as I get home I put on the TV and just have something like YouTube running in the background. The best part is, when I want complete peace and quiet, I can just turn the TV off (turning off the rest of your family/boyfriend doesn't quite work the same)

Maybe that will all change once I graduate from Uni and won't be able to go partying at a moment's notice anymore. But for now, I'm with Angry Red Head!

ReputationRep:
    It's also cheaper to live with someone than have your own place. I know many women who would have been forced to live at home if they didn't have a boyfriend to live with.

It's almost like single people are punished for being single. The housing market is tough as hell on you when you are a single person. Makes me realise why people are so fast to move in with each other.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just what ppl want

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    I know this is going to sound so cliche but have you considered using your time to volunteer or getting a second job? It sounds like you're affected quite bad by loneliness and I feel bad for you :hugs:
    Thanks - I'm okay, honestly . But this thread made me think a lot. I tend to avoid that by keeping busy. I work a full time job so my free time is very little at all. My commute home takes at least an hour so I'm usually back by 6-6.30 and then I have enough time to shower, cook, eat, iron tomorrow's uniform and then an hour or two to myself to relax, then bed before 10 and up at 6am. I'm literally drained of energy a the end of the day but I suppose I could spare some time at the weekends. I love my job though, so it's not all bad! I guess people just cope with living alone differently. Maybe I just need to see it more positively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AllegedLegends)
    Thanks - I'm okay, honestly . But this thread made me think a lot. I tend to avoid that by keeping busy. I work a full time job so my free time is very little at all. My commute home takes at least an hour so I'm usually back by 6-6.30 and then I have enough time to shower, cook, eat, iron tomorrow's uniform and then an hour or two to myself to relax, then bed before 10 and up at 6am. I'm literally drained of energy a the end of the day but I suppose I could spare some time at the weekends. I love my job though, so it's not all bad! I guess people just cope with living alone differently. Maybe I just need to see it more positively.
    Fair enough; I mean, the need for human companionship is natural but it sounds like your job takes up a lot of your time in any case. I hope you find someone soon that's good for you though Are you searching?

people get into relationships because their weakness is sex x

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough; I mean, the need for human companionship is natural but it sounds like your job takes up a lot of your time in any case. I hope you find someone soon that's good for you though Are you searching?
    It definitely does take up a lot of time - plus I'm at uni part time so it's a bit hectic. Thank you - I'm kind of looking in the sense that I'm open to it whereas in the past I was totally closed off from relationships. I'm surrounded by loads of people but I just haven't found someone who meets even the basic criteria - single and straight! I either find someone who seems a good match who is taken or who doesn't fancy my gender. So if I could just get the basics sorted then that would be a great

ReputationRep:
    Being in love is the most perfect feeling. I'd do anything for that person and know they'd do anything for me.

I didn't even realise I wanted sex until after I had it and we were already into the relationship then. And even then, what makes the sex great is because it's with someone I love and care about...

She's at a different uni and although it's annoying it's great for the both of us because we can concentrate on work in the week and go see each other at weekends :3

ReputationRep:
    Talking about both genders although as of recent TSR seems to have had a rash of threads by a couple of users (or possibly just one individual ) obsessed with getting into a relationship?

What is the big deal about them? Partners can be so needy/ clingy and inevitably always make lots of demands on your time and on you, physically, emotionally and financially. Can someone please explain what is so great about being in a relationship because I just don't get it. I have no desire for one either, whether I'm weird or not for that is a matter of your own personal opinion.

I will admit that I've never been in a serious one but the ones I have been in I found quite stifling so maybe I've just been dating the wrong type? Idk.
    I'm in a relationship right now. I'll be chilling with him wondering what the **** am I doing, what is this...it's like a job being in a relationship, you have to talk differently than u would a friend. It's nice having someone care about you and having your back 100% yes u can have that with a friend but you don't have sex with friends, and you can't smell them without it being awkward, maybe it's more of a physical thing.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.