Lingybells
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tokyorose888)
oh luckily i sorted that out because im not a native chinese speaker
Really?? I was following this thread last year when I was doing AS Chinese, and I saw that some Unis didn't accept A level Chinese. I'm a BBC as my parents are chinese. I am basically British as my Chinese is rubbish anyway. But I was really worried they wouldn't accept my Chinese A-level? I really want to apply for Pharmacy/Pharmacology at uni. (Probably Bath/Edinburgh etc)

And could you perhaps give me an idea as to how much harder A-level chinese is from AS Chinese? (In terms of comprehension and translation)

I got an A in AS, it was something like 89/100 marks.

Thankss
lemonx
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lingybells)
Really?? I was following this thread last year when I was doing AS Chinese, and I saw that some Unis didn't accept A level Chinese. I'm a BBC as my parents are chinese. I am basically British as my Chinese is rubbish anyway. But I was really worried they wouldn't accept my Chinese A-level? I really want to apply for Pharmacy/Pharmacology at uni. (Probably Bath/Edinburgh etc)

And could you perhaps give me an idea as to how much harder A-level chinese is from AS Chinese? (In terms of comprehension and translation)

I got an A in AS, it was something like 89/100 marks.

Thankss

I only got a B for AS chinese, and I did the A2 in 2007 when they introduced that research-based essay thing, but i didnt know i had to do that until a week before my exam T_T.. i still got a B for A2 though, so i think you'll be fine if your writing ability is pretty decent.
The hardest part of A2 really is just the essay IMO, so just make sure you do enough research and have a good essay plan
tokyorose888
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
turns out they dont accpet it if you a chinese native speaker
shiv+ellie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i don't know if this has been mentioned already, but i found it really annoying when 2 of my uni choices (nottingham and birmingham) gave me conditional offers excluding my A-Level chinese. i was born here (b.b.c), and lived here my entire life, so really, i thought this a level was as valid as the other ones im doing... i tried negotiating with notts but finally gave up
Lingybells
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shiv+ellie)
i don't know if this has been mentioned already, but i found it really annoying when 2 of my uni choices (nottingham and birmingham) gave me conditional offers excluding my A-Level chinese. i was born here (b.b.c), and lived here my entire life, so really, i thought this a level was as valid as the other ones im doing... i tried negotiating with notts but finally gave up
Yeah, I thought that it would be valid as long as I wasn't a native chinese speaker. My teacher said he thought so too, but it's still annoying. :mad:

~sigh~ It's almost impossible to do good research. I've been reading examiner comments and they all want research research research. But i was also wondering, do they except sources that were originally in english? Because come on, where on earth do i get chinese history books around here? (I've tried the library)
lemonx
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lingybells)
Yeah, I thought that it would be valid as long as I wasn't a native chinese speaker. My teacher said he thought so too, but it's still annoying. :mad:

~sigh~ It's almost impossible to do good research. I've been reading examiner comments and they all want research research research. But i was also wondering, do they except sources that were originally in english? Because come on, where on earth do i get chinese history books around here? (I've tried the library)

i'm pretty sure they do because on my essay plan i had some english websites quoted for my research. Actually, i'm pretty sure all my research was from english sources o_O
~*嬌*~
Badges: 5
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shiv+ellie)
it really depends on what course you are applying...
i think the competitive course will not accept it...
what course did you applyed at nottingham? :confused:
because im applying to do cs with management at nottingham,
and they said they will accept chinese aswell...
junhong
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i THOUGHt they will accept as long as its a principal subject ?
junhong
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ~*嬌*~)
it really depends on what course you are applying...
i think the competitive course will not accept it...
what course did you applyed at nottingham? :confused:
because im applying to do cs with management at nottingham,
and they said they will accept chinese aswell...
I dont understand why they accept English then .....
Since there are lots of native english around who take english .....
~*嬌*~
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by junhong)
I dont understand why they accept English then .....
Since there are lots of native english around who take english .....
無辦法啦, 只能怪自己係英國呢個地方吧 =.=
junhong
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ~*嬌*~)
無辦法啦, 只能怪自己係英國呢個地方吧 =.=
So , thats unfair ! Logically , if those native english speaker who take english and get accepted , It is suppose that they should accept native chinese speaker who take chinese get accepted as well ! Seriously , Chinese in A-levels also needs lot of efforts and hard work . It is tough in a sense .

What a biasness !
tokyorose888
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
i think its because in english, its a core subject because the tests are writing essays so it tests your writing abilities and how logical you present your thoughts. However, in chinese, they regard it as a modern foreign language, so it tests more on your knowledge of the language

englands such a crap place i agree lol
junhong
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i think its because in english, its a core subject because the tests are writing essays so it tests your writing abilities and how logical you present your thoughts. However, in chinese, they regard it as a modern foreign language, so it tests more on your knowledge of the language

CHinese also test on writing skills ....and also literature..which is damn tough !
Lingybells
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think I would kind of accept it, if I was a native chinese speaker. But seeing as I am a BBC, I think it's pretty unfair.

Is there no way of finding out which unis accept it until you apply? Because I know for a fact (well, unless my teacher has been lying to me, lol!) that Ucas don't have any policy about it.

Though in terms of accepting English... unfair much?
~*嬌*~
Report 10 years ago
So , thats unfair ! Logically , if those native english speaker who take english and get accepted , It is suppose that they should accept native chinese speaker who take chinese get accepted as well ! Seriously , Chinese in A-levels also needs lot of efforts and hard work . It is tough in a sense .

What a biasness !
AGREE SO THATS WHY YOU SHOULD EMAIL TO UNI TO SEE IF THEY ACCEPT OR NOT BEFORE WHEN YOU APPLYING... WHICH IS WHAT I'VE JUST DONE :p:
HAVE YOU COMPLETE YOUR UCAS APPLICATION? I NEED TO SENT IT OUT SOON T^T
p.s are you from hong kong or china? or you are bbc? :confused:
~*嬌*~
Report 10 years ago

how dare you just said that this is the england forum
well, i also agree with you :p: i will go back home get
a job once i finished my degree, i really cant stand the life style
i here is so boring...
junhong
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ~*嬌*~)
AGREE SO THATS WHY YOU SHOULD EMAIL TO UNI TO SEE IF THEY ACCEPT OR NOT BEFORE WHEN YOU APPLYING... WHICH IS WHAT I'VE JUST DONE :p:
HAVE YOU COMPLETE YOUR UCAS APPLICATION? I NEED TO SENT IT OUT SOON T^T
p.s are you from hong kong or china? or you are bbc? :confused:
Well, i am a Malaysian and i am still in Malaysia but thinking of apply for uk university after my A-levels . However , i know mandarin and cantonese as i always watch HK (TVB)drama . hehe...

What do u mean by bbc ?
~*嬌*~
Report 10 years ago
Well, i am a Malaysian and i am still in Malaysia but thinking of apply for uk university after my A-levels . However , i know mandarin and cantonese as i always watch HK (TVB)drama . hehe...

What do u mean by bbc ?
oh, cool
bbc means british born chinese :o:
junhong
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ~*嬌*~)
oh, cool
bbc means british born chinese :o:
I see. I almost think that BBC is the tv channel ...lol.

what abt u ?? From HK?How old r u? Which uni are you applying to ?
What course do u intend to take ?
junhong
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey....i scored an A for chinese in A-levels !!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads