Ossie1701
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I wonder ... how many LSE / Cambridge lectures or classes have you been to?
DannyBoy123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by AKissIsJustAKiss)
there are so many ib and consultancy firms that ONLY hire oxbridge students.
Sorry but that is utter *******s. I know recruiters at some of the top IB's and I have never seen anything to suggest they only hire Oxbridge students. Economics at LSE enjoys a brilliant reputation, it may not have the 'old boys' thing that Cambridge does (not ****ging it off, it is very useful for networking etc.) but the degree and the University are very famous internationally, it just doesn't have the history of Oxbridge. Plenty of people turn down Cambridge to study Economics at LSE which puts it into perspective somewhat.

Also plenty of famous people have studied at LSE, check out this Wiki link and look at the notable alumni:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_..._vs._Cambridge
peter yu
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by AKissIsJustAKiss)
the majority of people cose cambridge over lse. it is very rare to find those who chose lse except if they are completely against the cambridge experience. it is just the jealous lse type who either got rejected from cambridge or was too scared to apply that rants on about how amazing lse is for ibanking and so on. there are so many ib and consultancy firms that ONLY hire oxbridge students. furthermore, expand your hozirons, economics should not equate to ib. cambridge students recongnise this far more than lse students who are so money, finance orientated..it disgusts me.
didn't you get rejected from the LSE?
The Sherminator
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by peter yu)
didn't you get rejected from the LSE?
If that is the case, then all of the previous posts have been HILARIOUS!
Jaffaholic
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
In terms of economic prestige on a worldwide level, LSE is better than Cambridge.

If you look at a purely academic level stripping away any subjective element, in terms of economics institutions

http://ideas.repec.org/top/top.inst.all.html

Some universities have multiple entries because there may be several research groups/departments within the university.
sammyrj
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I declined LSE for Cambridge because, well... I preferred Cambridge. I've been to both and just liked the atmosphere more at the latter.

Both are very respectable Universities, and a place at either is a wonderful opportunity. All the *****ing going on is ridiculous! They're Unis, not your friends!
DannyBoy123
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by sammyrj)

Both are very respectable Universities, and a place at either is a wonderful opportunity. All the *****ing going on is ridiculous! They're Unis, not your friends!
I think we are all intelligent enough to realise that...it is just a tad irritating when people come on here spouting inconsequential nonsense with no evidence to support what they are saying. I mean saying famous people went to a university makes it better, come one! For peat sake Oxford and Cambridge were the ONLY universities in England for a bloody long time!
Chrisateen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by sammyrj)
I declined LSE for Cambridge because, well... I preferred Cambridge. I've been to both and just liked the atmosphere more at the latter.

I would do the same to if I had offers from where you got offers from
aissance
Report 11 years ago
i got offers from both unis last year as well (physics at camb vs. actuarial science at lse), in the end i declined cambridge. however, to some local students, my decision seems really really strange as they cant imagine there ll be someone decline an offer from oxbridge....anyways, i just prefer london

as for academic performance in economic field, all i can say is i dont think camb can really compare with lse in economic study...

of coz, eco in camb was once superb (thanks to the great Keynes!!),but now, the only famous guy there is Dasgupta who is getting old and rarely comes up with new article these years. of coz Pesaran in macro-econometric (nice guy, too) and Harrison in micro-study r still there and they r pretty good. other than them, i cant really think of any. meanwhile, (told by a few friends in camb) some good lecturers r leaving by the end of this academic year as well....

in the case of lse, they once owned Hayek and Coase which made lse the leading eco study body in the world at that time. altho the center of economic study is at the usa now (actually, science 1980), the current lse head of eco dprt Quah who is a true master in fields such as "economic development" and "application of stochastic process" (can go search his articles if u r interested). also, the school is strong and has famous professors in almost every sub-branch field of eco study.

and of coz, lse awarded me some scholarship which made the choice not that difficult after all....

and one word to the guy who refer to the world ranking...u cant be serious rite? do u really believe that IC can be at 5th and UCL at 9th(beats MIT!!!!) worldwide?
adglse
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hi
I have got an offer for MSc Economic History at LSE.
Any idea as 2 what subjects I should opt for?
What r the job prospects????:
adglse
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hey!!
I think LSE is the best place for any Economics related subject.
Jimlon0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kwes25)
Sort it out with your own common sense. If you went back home nad you were asked which uni you went which one do you think they would class as the more prestigious?
Yeh but what really matters? what some random guy thinks or what highly proffesional employers are going to think? The employers will love LSE graduates, especially if its for economics.

But i guess it depends on your views. Do you want to be able to let everyone know how great you are, or is it just the employer's opinion that matters?
sTe\/o
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They both have strong departments, but the consensus seems to be that LSE and even Oxford are slightly stronger than Cambridge nowadays. I still think Cambridge is better than LSE for undergraduate studies, because of the supervision system and the chance to enjoy the collegiate system. And it's better than Oxford because of the focus on economics without diluting it with politics/philosophy/management.
made_of_fail
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by aissance)
i got offers from both unis last year as well (physics at camb vs. actuarial science at lse), in the end i declined cambridge. however, to some local students, my decision seems really really strange as they cant imagine there ll be someone decline an offer from oxbridge....anyways, i just prefer london

as for academic performance in economic field, all i can say is i dont think camb can really compare with lse in economic study...

of coz, eco in camb was once superb (thanks to the great Keynes!!),but now, the only famous guy there is Dasgupta who is getting old and rarely comes up with new article these years. of coz Pesaran in macro-econometric (nice guy, too) and Harrison in micro-study r still there and they r pretty good. other than them, i cant really think of any. meanwhile, (told by a few friends in camb) some good lecturers r leaving by the end of this academic year as well....

in the case of lse, they once owned Hayek and Coase which made lse the leading eco study body in the world at that time. altho the center of economic study is at the usa now (actually, science 1980), the current lse head of eco dprt Quah who is a true master in fields such as "economic development" and "application of stochastic process" (can go search his articles if u r interested). also, the school is strong and has famous professors in almost every sub-branch field of eco study.

and of coz, lse awarded me some scholarship which made the choice not that difficult after all....

and one word to the guy who refer to the world ranking...u cant be serious rite? do u really believe that IC can be at 5th and UCL at 9th(beats MIT!!!!) worldwide?
you turned down cambridge natsci for actuarial science? just wtf :woo: i really do find that hard to believe.

i'm at lse by the way
Jibzy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I dont know about U guys, but i think there is a certain degree of 'greatness' in having attended Cambridge. this is more so than in the case of LSE. think of tradition. fair enough, the LSE has its fair share of past scholars. but Cambridge still tops the league in that respect. they''v been educatiing the greatest minds for centuries.

Studying at Cambridge is far more respected than studying at the LSE.
DannyBoy123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jibzy)
I dont know about U guys, but i think there is a certain degree of 'greatness' in having attended Cambridge. this is more so than in the case of LSE. think of tradition. fair enough, the LSE has its fair share of past scholars. but Cambridge still tops the league in that respect. they''v been educatiing the greatest minds for centuries.

Studying at Cambridge is far more respected than studying at the LSE.
To a member of the general public, yes, studying at Cambridge carries a certain gravitas that the LSE doesn't. As far as employers go (i.e. the people who matter) it makes little to no difference in todays environment, except possibly for those areas where the old boys club is still strong.
Jibzy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DannyBoy123)
To a member of the general public, yes, studying at Cambridge carries a certain gravitas that the LSE doesn't. As far as employers go (i.e. the people who matter) it makes little to no difference in todays environment, except possibly for those areas where the old boys club is still strong.
true. places like Rothschild and co....possibly..
izoar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
[QUOTE=Cool.Zero]Please be more attentive by reading my previous post thoroughly. HKUST is the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. HKU is Hong Kong University. Spot the difference?

Wow I just checked the overall rankings and even HKUST is higher up than LSE.

And I did say overall. LSE do have an outstanding economics department. And the fact that LSE offers only social science courses isn't the reason why they dropped from 10-20th to 59thQUOTE]
Actually it is. How would you explain the fact that UCL are 7th in the world (in front of LSE!???) If you look at the world university rankings for social sciences only LSE is 3rd and Cambridge 13th...
J-bob
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://www2.lse.ac.uk/researchAndExp...2008/home.aspx

Supposedly we're now best in the country in Law and Econ.. not bad eh
ooehsdxb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol fair enough talking about just the economics course.
but OP trying to decide between cambridge and lse in terms of reputation is absurd.
Yes LSE is better than cambridge for economics, but for rep along with the harvard etc. only oxbridge is in the same league.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads