Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Nature

Tintern Abbey - "for nature then/ to me was all in all"

"worshipper of nature"

"the sounding cataract/ Haunted me like a passion" ('passion' suggesting a craving and love for nature, but 'haunted' suggesting that WW was aware of its presence but unable to fully see/comprehend it at that time)

"nature never did betray/ the heart that loved her" - personification emphasises importance

Rime of the... - nature portayed as vengeful as well as pure

"hot and cooper sky, the bloody sun at noon" (pathetic fallacy???)

gives the marinere a lovely "soot mouth"

but lots of the good side of nature shown through capitalisation and imagery
    "bucket of dew"

"an Albatross through the Fog it came; as it were a Christian soul" (links nature and spirituality, enforcing the idea nature is pure)

The Nightingale - "share in natures immortality/ A venerable thing!" ('venerable' meaning worthy of reverence again enforces previous idea)

the list can go on and on..

just some notes for anyone who has concentrated on childhood and now feeling slightly ******

ReputationRep:
    Why have people concentrated on childhood, just out of interest ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)
    Why have people concentrated on childhood, just out of interest ?
    Yeah, i also wondered about that. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    i think i recall someone feeling adamant it was going to come up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notorious benefactor)
    i think i recall someone feeling adamant it was going to come up.
    hm, that really doesn't sound like a great reason to focus on it. Especially as it's only the 2nd time its been examined.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah a lot of people seem to think it might. However a lot of people think that it would be unreasonable for a question JUST on children. So I suppose there could be one on 'experience'. But that might be too nice :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dukeofdarkcorners)
    Yeah a lot of people seem to think it might. However a lot of people think that it would be unreasonable for a question JUST on children. So I suppose there could be one on 'experience'. But that might be too nice :P
    Experience? I wouldn't have thought about that on it's own, but i suppose there's experience vs knowledge etc.

ReputationRep:
    What sort of things are we talking about with 'experience'?

And anyone got any notes of the structure of tintern abbey and how it would emphasise the themes within it?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah exactly, and experience can be linked with childhood and then with poems like Tintern Abbey, Marinere and the likes.

I mean the way experience allows the mind to evolve and allows the imagination to take on new forms. Wordsworth said that our thoughts "are indeed the representatives of our past". His experience in the abbey 5 years previous has now combined with his more ripened mind and allows him to transfigure his experience and deepen it. Similarly, in Ancient Marinere, experience has taught him to love nature as God has created everything around us. And now he is cursed to walk the earth and tell his tale.

Edit: Just another point about Tintern Abbey: Dorothy has become a 1793 Wordsworth (ie as he was five years ago) and this brings him happiness that she is having the same experience he did 5 years ago....and he probably hopes that it will take the same affect on her.

ReputationRep:
    There is as reasonable a chance for similar questions as January to come up as any other questions. They are only setting four exams ever on Lyrical Ballads.

ReputationRep:
    If at all possible, can someone give some context in relation to Coleridge's stance towards things like nature, childhood, women etc? I'm finding this hard to come by.

ReputationRep:
    Humm. Looking through the notes from AQA, I'm very disheartened to see that "role of Imagination" is the top bullet point, in their "Application to the Text" list because quite frankly, I'm at a loss when it comes to writing an essay about this.

I realise that Wordsworth said, "the power of the human imagination is sufficient to produce such changes even in our own physical nature as might often appear miraculous” - which explains the supernatural events in Goody Blake and in Idiot Boy , and also that Coleridge believed in Primary and Secondary Imagination, the latter of which operated not mechanically but "organically".

But, er.. how on earth does that translate to an essay? *sobs*

Any help would be MUCHLY appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supalorlor)
    Humm. Looking through the notes from AQA, I'm very disheartened to see that "role of Imagination" is the top bullet point, in their "Application to the Text" list because quite frankly, I'm at a loss when it comes to writing an essay about this.

I realise that Wordsworth said, "the power of the human imagination is sufficient to produce such changes even in our own physical nature as might often appear miraculous” - which explains the supernatural events in Goody Blake and in Idiot Boy , and also that Coleridge believed in Primary and Secondary Imagination, the latter of which operated not mechanically but "organically".

Major imagination poem, is The Ancient Mariner. Based on Coleridges weird drug fueled imagination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democritus)
    If at all possible, can someone give some context in relation to Coleridge's stance towards things like nature, childhood, women etc? I'm finding this hard to come by.
    Childhood - believed Wordsworth was essentially overestimating the power of children, but shared the belief that a healthy childhood was essential to the growth of the moral sense. Idealised the maternal relationship, as had an unhappy childhood in an orphanage (and didn't want this for his own son, Hartley)

ReputationRep:
    Childhood is a main theme in lyrical ballads and is likely to come up!
    As are a lot of other themes
    Let's just pray it's one we know hey!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DannyLaSombra)
    Childhood is a main theme in lyrical ballads and is likely to come up!
    As are a lot of other themes
    Let's just pray it's one we know hey!
    Childhood isn't really that important, it only features as the main theme in a couple of poems and a secondary idea in a few more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supalorlor)

The Nightingale explores pathetic fallacy, and that often we enforce our own emotions onto nature - " In nature there is nothing melancholy"

Tintern Abbey has Wordsworth exploring how he perceives the natural world around him. Imagination combines his former experiences with his present, and also his imagination allows him to recollect his former experiences of the Wye etc.

Lines written in Early Spring - "One impulse from a vernal wood" etc

You can also link imagination to the supernatural and nature, as well as knowledge vs experience.

Rime of the Ancyent Marinere - i wouldn't go down the whole drug addled road here, i doubt examiners will appreciate it as valid context!

I agree, it's also a weak point for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)
    Childhood isn't really that important, it only features as the main theme in a couple of poems and a secondary idea in a few more.
    Finally! Someone who is speaking some sense! I thought i was the only one who found this whole obsession with childhood as a bit ott.

ReputationRep:
    good luck everyone!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by origamikid)
    good luck everyone!!
    Yes, i second this. I'm sure everyone will be fine!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 17, 2008

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.