The Alternative Economics League Table (TAELT) 2009 Watch

This discussion is closed.
Paulwhy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by TSRreader)
Another weird part is that St Andrew doesn't even have a score when I checked.
Well it it is saying Not Enough Data.
I am not sure how many students there need to be before they will give the %s.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
I have downloaded a spreadsheet from the unistats website of the situation at the detailed by university by subject level for 06/07.
One nice thing it include is the (exact) median.
i.e. before with the 05-06 data I had calculate the median and it was just a group not an exact figure.

The new unistats data is 06/07 inline with the newspaper league tables. But I have not updated the TAELT 2009 spreadsheet yet.
Attached files
sv90
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by alex_hk90)
Also, I think their standard offer if you do Further Maths is AAA + E in Further Maths, as that's what most people seemed to be receiving for L101.
E?!

I'm currently considering whether or not to do 3 extra modules in my gap year (this year) to get a full FM A2 rather than my current AS. I was kinda worried that if I got a B in it it would look 'worse' than an A in AS.

Seriously...E?!
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sv90)
E?!

I'm currently considering whether or not to do 3 extra modules in my gap year (this year) to get a full FM A2 rather than my current AS. I was kinda worried that if I got a B in it it would look 'worse' than an A in AS.

Seriously...E?!
This is what is says on UCAS Track (emphasis mine):
Congratulations; London School of Economics and Political Science (University of London) has asked us to tell you that it is offering you a place for Economics, L101; starting in September 2008 at point of entry 1.

The conditions of the offer are:

This offer is subject to you obtaining

Obtain grades AAA at A-Level including Maths and Economics plus a pass in A-Level Further Maths from your June 2008 examinations. Please see letter sent by the Institution.
So yes, the offer is likely to only require an E, but obviously most applicants will be predicted A or B anyway.

Personally, I would think that a B in A2 FM would look worse than an A at AS, but an A at A2 would be the best. :yep:
sv90
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
oh, that goes without saying

Will probably go ahead with it then and aim for an A obviously, but if I get a B it's not the end of the world?
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sv90)
oh, that goes without saying

Will probably go ahead with it then and aim for an A obviously, but if I get a B it's not the end of the world?
That's what I would do. :yes:
vinsta
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's what I would do. :yes:
Do you know if cambridge include Further maths in their offers for economics, and does it depend on the college you apply to??

Also is bristol AAA this year as thats what i heard around this forum somewhere?
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by vinsta)
Do you know if cambridge include Further maths in their offers for economics, and does it depend on the college you apply to??
The offer I got didn't specify Further Maths, but I don't know for sure that they don't include it. And it would depend on the college, yes.

Also is bristol AAA this year as thats what i heard around this forum somewhere?
Their website says AAA - ABB including Mathematics.
vinsta
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The offer I got didn't specify Further Maths, but I don't know for sure that they don't include it. And it would depend on the college, yes.].
Thanks Alex, i guess ill just avoid those colleges that prefer Further maths:p:

Their website says AAA - ABB including Mathematics.
Yeah i know but somewhere on this forum someone said they went to an open day and the admissios tutor said their offers will be AAA this year.
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah i know but somewhere on this forum someone said they went to an open day and the admissios tutor said their offers will be AAA this year.
You're applying to Cambridge so you should be getting AAA anyway. But if you're looking for a backup then maybe you should avoid Bristol. What are the five choices you are thinking of at the moment?
vinsta
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You're applying to Cambridge so you should be getting AAA anyway. But if you're looking for a backup then maybe you should avoid Bristol. What are the five choices you are thinking of at the moment?
lol yeah i know, but just in case.
errm... cambridge, UCL, bristol, durham, and im not sure about the 5th choice to be honest.
ExRx123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi guys, I'm applying for maths and eco, but still need one more choice. Currently I have LSE, UCL, Warwick and Queen Mary, all of which are AAA apart from QM which is BBB. I was thinkint St. Andrews/York but is this a bit too risky?
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol yeah i know, but just in case.
errm... cambridge, UCL, bristol, durham, and im not sure about the 5th choice to be honest.
I chose Southampton as a 5th choice after spending a few days there on a course; it was very nice. :yep:

(Original post by El Mariachi)
Hi guys, I'm applying for maths and eco, but still need one more choice. Currently I have LSE, UCL, Warwick and Queen Mary, all of which are AAA apart from QM which is BBB. I was thinkint St. Andrews/York but is this a bit too risky?
If I remember correctly you applied last year so what grades did you end up getting at A2? Personally I would go for it if you already have the necessary grades.
ExRx123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I chose Southampton as a 5th choice after spending a few days there on a course; it was very nice. :yep:

If I remember correctly you applied last year so what grades did you end up getting at A2? Personally I would go for it if you already have the necessary grades.
Hey Alex, how's it going?

I got AAABBB in Maths, Further Maths, Economics, German, Accounting and Crit Think respectively. S'pose I've got the required grades, but it's not amazing..
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey Alex, how's it going?
It's going alright, thanks. Just need to get all my stuff for uni.

How about you? Got anything planned for your gap year?

I got AAABBB in Maths, Further Maths, Economics, German, Accounting and Crit Think respectively. S'pose I've got the required grades, but it's not amazing..
Well, you've got the grades for the ones that matter so it'll just be down to the PS and interview (for Cambridge). Good luck. :yes:
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
You should bare in mind that Warwick for E+M makes "all" applicants the same standard offer.
ExRx123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's going alright, thanks. Just need to get all my stuff for uni.

How about you? Got anything planned for your gap year?

Well, you've got the grades for the ones that matter so it'll just be down to the PS and interview (for Cambridge). Good luck. :yes:
Ahh, I'm working as an "assistant economist" for the year at an econometrics company, sounds all cool lol.

I'm not applying to Cambridge this year, I don't think I'm good enough to get in really, and I fancy a bit of London too so thought I'd give it a miss.

(Original post by Paulwhy)
You should bare in mind that Warwick for E+M makes "all" applicants the same standard offer.
How do you mean? Surely my offer will be unconditional as I've finished my A levels? Unless they want me to take STEP or AEA but hopefully not as I've done FM...?
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
How do you mean? Surely my offer will be unconditional as I've finished my A levels? Unless they want me to take STEP or AEA but hopefully not as I've done FM...?
Standard Offers for Admission in September 2009

• Offer 1: A(M) A(FM) B b 2
  • Offer 2: A(M) a(FM) A B 2
  • Offer 3: A(M) A A a 2
2 denotes grade 2 in a Maths STEP or AEA paper. (M) (FM) denote Mathematics and Further Mathematics.
UPPER/lower case letters denote grades in A/AS-level.
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/ma...ions/ug/offer/
So looks like you need STEP/AEA.
And find out what they think about students taking exams at more than 1 sitting.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
I have removed the reference to unis now in the ABB.3 group from the heading to the ABB.2 group:
ABB.2 (320 Points) accept lower offers RH (BBB with maths), Sussex (BBB), Loughbourgh (only 200 points from A-levels)
Loughborough 320 (200) 374
Sussex ABB-BBB 350
Royal Holloway ABB (or BBB/ABC inc. maths) M**p E**p 348
ExRx123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Paulwhy)
So looks like you need STEP/AEA.
And find out what they think about students taking exams at more than 1 sitting.
Damn, that's new for this year, last time I checked you didn't need STEP/AEA if you had FM.

Arrghhh another spanner in the works!

Also, why would I need to find out about students taking more than 1 sitting...:confused:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (344)
37.84%
No - but I will (72)
7.92%
No - I don't want to (65)
7.15%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (428)
47.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise