intellectual snobbery? Watch

This discussion is closed.
faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by butterfly_girl_5)
yes I know. I cant help thinking there wouldnt be such a divide in peoples minds between 'intellectuals' and 'lay folk' if there wasnt a divide in the system.

and I agree- although excellence is more achievable in private schools, my experience is that while they get better grades, stupidityand ignorance exist in other forms. I wouldnt compare it to bribery- but I do think the private school tradition is very out-dated.
Exactly.

Though I didn't compare private schooling to bribery. I used bribery as an example to suggest that just because something may be good for certain people (i.e. financial rewards in bribery, excellence in education for private schools), this is not a strong argument against abolishing it on moral grounds.
aspiringlawyer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i didnt think I implied arrogance was a result of which university you go to. I have sadly always been quite an arrogant person, before I ever stood out academically. The only way that my intellectual abilities or my cambridge offer are relevant is that Im more in danger of using them to boost my ego- its harder not to be arrogant when you have reason to be pleased with yourself. So I want to hit it on the head so I dont become more and more of a pretencious ****.
Don't think anyone here doubts that.

If you're so worried about being arrogant etc etc etc, then why don't you bloody do something about it as opposed to whining about how misunderstood you are! Actions speak louder than words typed on an internet forum, full of people who will undoubtedly soothe your ego and tell you you're fine just the way you are.

Ever heard the saying 'no smoke without fire'?
Chances are if you're mates are responding badly to your academic discussions and you fear they think you're arrogant, you almost certainly are.
Funny that.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by aspiringlawyer)

If you're so worried about being arrogant etc etc etc, then why don't you bloody do something about it as opposed to whining about how misunderstood you are! Actions speak louder than words typed on an internet forum, full of people who will undoubtedly soothe your ego and tell you you're fine just the way you are.

Chances are if you're mates are responding badly to your academic discussions and you fear they think you're arrogant, you almost certainly are.
Funny that.
I doubt it! I think she's a nice considerate person trying her best not to turn into the kind of idiot you've obviously decided she is!

She IS trying to do something about it: she's explaining the situation to other people and asking them to point out where the problem is and ask how to resolve the situation
llys
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't worry I just tried to answer your Oxbridge question. I guess I didn't. It doesn't matter though, I don't want to drag on.

i didnt think I implied arrogance was a result of which university you go to. I have sadly always been quite an arrogant person, before I ever stood out academically. The only way that my intellectual abilities or my cambridge offer are relevant is that Im more in danger of using them to boost my ego- its harder not to be arrogant when you have reason to be pleased with yourself. So I want to hit it on the head so I dont become more and more of a pretencious ****.
Here's some last piece of advice from someone with arguably more life experience than you. Stop worrying. Life can be simple. Be conscious & tolerant & respectful of others AND yourself. If you do something cringeworthy (WE ALL DO IT !), acknowledge it honestly to yourself and then just don your hat and move on. If you do something good or admirable, just smile to yourself and then don your hat and move on.

I have found that this method works very well. :yy:
butterfly_girl_5
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by aspiringlawyer)

Funny that.
I am.
I originally wanted to ask what people thought about the general situation I described in view of their experience of oxbridge-type academics. And the fact that my friends an family will 'undoubtedly soothe your ego and tell you you're fine just the way you are,' is exacactly why I ask people who have only my words to go on and will speak there opinions bluntly and honestly.

And I hardly think im whining about being misunderstood. I wanted people to give me their opinions based on what I actually said, and a lot of people seem just to be throwing insults at me whether their founded or not and not reading what Im saying.

again, you talk about 'my academic discussions' as if I force all my friends into endless conversations regardless of whether or not their interested to boost my own ego. Im basing this whole discussion on a 7 second or so part of a conversation involving me saying 'so and so is the only friend I have that is academic' and the friend I was talking to saying 'I am interested in books' as a response. The rest is just what I have observed in my friends, because I try to reflect on them as people with a view to understanding them better in order to be sensitive to them and their interests.

I dont think you can make a general statement that if peoples friends 'respond badly' to these 'academic discussions' the person most certainly is arrogant. Particularly as, as I said, those discussions dont occur for the most part. Please point out to me what implied what youre saying. Otherwise, you cant blame me for defending myself

for an aspiring lawyer youre not very good at constructing an argument based on the facts
henryt
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
One thing is clear. This thread has become completely out of hand.

I think, in answer to your question, Yes. I think it's probable in some form - likely, when people are the most stressed with work will the snobbery surface.

Now, can we lay off each other? This thread has become dull, very quickly. Tittle-tattle and attempts at witty insults, usually based on someone misspelling a word, are not getting us anywhere with regards answer to the OP's question.
butterfly_girl_5
Rep:
?
(Original post by henryt)
One thing is clear. This thread has become completely out of hand.

I think, in answer to your question, Yes. I think it's probable in some form - likely, when people are the most stressed with work will the snobbery surface.

Now, can we lay off each other? This thread has become dull, very quickly. Tittle-tattle and attempts at witty insults, usually based on someone misspelling a word, are not getting us anywhere with regards answer to the OP's question.
remind me to give you a positive rep tomorrow
Jigglypuff
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think generally, if you're friends are zoning out when you're talking, you need to stop using long words. It's not a case of 'dumbing things down'-- surely if you're as intelligent as you make out you can express yourself using less complicated words?

By all means use that kind of language in essays etc, but why use it around people who probably won't understand what it means? If one of my friends asks me about the kind of thing I study, I don't throw a load of philosophical terms at them whilst explaining it! You need to be able to target what you're saying to a given audience...not be a walking dictionary.
butterfly_girl_5
Rep:
?
If anyone wants this thread closed, tell me how to do it
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hmmm, some of you peeps are nasty bints. I hope a bird poops on you.

Anyways, locked before you all try and cook her for dinner. :p:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (121)
39.54%
No - but I will (16)
5.23%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (149)
48.69%

Watched Threads