Do people keep spelling/pronouncing your name wrong? Watch

This discussion is closed.
ElectricOceans
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes. Its been spelt Shaun, Shorn, Shawn. Correct is Sean.
hippieglitter
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Nathann)
Yeah my last name is Katnoria, i've been called:
Katonoria,
Katanoria,
Kotonoria
and Karnoria
Surprised you haven't been called Catatonia yet.
hippieglitter
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by FireDeuce)
CONSTANTLY.
And computers won't allow it the way it is actually spelled. My surname starts with MAC and computers will only ever allow Mc...
Also.. why do people try to tell you that you're the one spelling your name wrong?
Oh the amount of times i've told people I'm Rachael with and AEL they have said 'are you sure?' No, i don't know how to spell my own name i've only had it 21 years!
hippieglitter
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
Nuhtarhlie?

sorry, but I can't see how you get that from Natalie. Surely it should be spelt differently - Na can't be Nuh, the letter 'a' can't make an 'uh' sound

Oh well each to their own - it's a total butchering of a perfectly good name though but anyway...
yes it can, Natalie, swap the e for an a you get Natalia pronounced Nuh-tar-lee-uh
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by hippieglitter)
yes it can, Natalie, swap the e for an a you get Natalia pronounced Nuh-tar-lee-uh
I would have said Nah-tah-lee-ah but there we go
Quinion
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
First name: Matt.
Surname: Rose.

I will be pretty impressed the day someone gets that wrong.
.pushing.charlotte.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by xwoopwoopx)
My surname is Hempenstall. I swear no one can ever pronounce it or spell it right. Common mistakes are heppenstall, hempencil (how, i do not know lol), hempenstool etc.
humpenstall...
stumpenstall
:giggle: :grin:
TRS-T
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How would you guys pronounce the name Tao?
iCiaran
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
All the time... Being called Ciaran and living in England everyone spells it Kieran, got to the point that when people ask my name I start spelling it out before their pen gets anywhere near the paper...

Same with pronunciation, the one I get most often is see-are-ren.
anonymouspie227
Badges: 18
Report 7 years ago
Yes, so much- They even put random Z's and D's in my last name- and im like- woah, where did this come from.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't bother saying my name. I just spell it out. And it still gets spelt wrong.
CurtainrailMan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I seem to be the only person in Britain called Niall.

So everybody says it "Nile" when they read it and spells it "Neil" when they hear it. Bloody annoying.

Every supply teacher I have EVER had calls out "is it Neil or Nile" when reading out a register. Even more bloody annoying.
lukas1051
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My last name is Neal, and people often spell it Neil (like the first name), and sometimes people actually think it is my first name. I used to be uber-shy, and one of my teachers in like year 9 called me Neil for half a year because I didn't dare to correct him (although to be fair he was this massive, scary army veteran).
lyrical_lie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I get Jemma a lot, instead of Gemma. And my second name with an I rather than a Y.
However, I work in a call centre and you'd be amazed the names I get called by other consultants on the phones; Jenna, Jamie, Emma, Anna, Erin, Jane(this is a common one). I usually speak to the customer and have to make a wee joke being all like, actually my name is Gemma.
TheWorldEndsWithMe
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My surname is an uncommon surname as it is, but to add confusion it's spelt differently (imagine White being spelt Whyte, it's like that). Literally everyone with this variation is someone I can put a face to because we're all related (at least the British ones anyway). Only been pronounced wrong tend that I can recall, once by a teacher and once by an American.
CherryCherryBoomBoom
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have a quite long Nigerian name that's unfamiliar to 99% of new people I meet, and I have a few easier diminutive forms that I use these days.

(Original post by iCiaran)
All the time... Being called Ciaran and living in England everyone spells it Kieran, got to the point that when people ask my name I start spelling it out before their pen gets anywhere near the paper...

Same with pronunciation, the one I get most often is see-are-ren.
Hehe, I used to think that too, cos it looks a bit like the singer's name Ciara.
calumsteele1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
calum steele

callum steele
callum steel
cullum stel
etc. etc. etc.

its agrivating, especially on places like facebook where the bloody name is in front of their face!
08rbut
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I went on a st. john ambulance course last weekend and the leader kept calling me Remmy. He was reading my name of a register list and my name was spelt Reema. Ree- ma. Not hard the way i see it. My old neighbour always spelt it wrong in cards rima, rema. I meaning just try pronouncing that - It sounds nothing like Ree- ma!
.eXe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My name is Knifemasta and people keep forgetting the K.

*******s...
thompsonic7
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My name is hardly unusual (Eleanor/Ellie), and yet I have experienced the following spellings:

Elenor
Elanor
Elena
Ele
Elly
Elle
Elli
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (503)
37.65%
No - but I will (103)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (638)
47.75%

Watched Threads