Should women earn as much as men? Watch

WithFlyingColours
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Chivalry is not needed. Being treated as a man, nope, don't want that. The only thing I want is the same rewards as a man when I do the exact same thing as he does.
Ok, next time a woman gets mouthy to me I can lay her out?

yes withflyingcolours, the downturn in 'life'. An excellent point, well made
Downturn in family life, read the whole sentence.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by EvilSheep)
Whatever mate.. Whatever proof I'd given you, you wouldn't have listened. Men are obviously so much more valuable, efficient etc etc, there's no limit to what a man can do. A woman on the other hand is almost useless.. I get you...
That's not what i'm saying. I'm asking you for some kind of evidence beyond YOUR personal experience for me to look at and see your point. As it stands you've given me sweet FA on which to go on. It's like me saying 'there's a flying car out now', would you just believe me or would you want me to show you a flying car in action?
tumtetum
Report 10 years ago
Yes bornstubbon, I am very naive and 'brainless' What is this oh-so-dangerous job that you have?
EvilSheep
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Elipsis)
Why can't you just accept that when YOU have children it is YOU who will likely end up looking after them? Women are more driven by hormones to care for their children, as I said before, a chemical called PEA is released. (strangely enough it's the same chemical that makes women enjoy hugs more than men as well). My own mother was happy to work nights to look after my sister and me, she wanted to have children so she looked after us. What exactly can be done to make sure women don't stay at home? I can ask any woman I like, how about I ask my old a-level law teacher who continued to work 60 hour weeks on £500 p/h after her maternity leave was up? Anecdotal evidence isn't going to get us anywhere, if you want to argue a point find me a study, if not then give up. If you see children as a burden on your life rather than an enhancement then perhaps you should think twice before having them...
Have you ever heard of men wanting to have children?? They do exist you know.. So why should there be no consequences for them??
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by WithFlyingColours)
LOL, that would be well funny. I can imagine you in court, when the judge asks you why you decked her you can say it's because you're all for equality.
Misogynist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by zodiac90)
per hour men and women should make the same amount of money, definitely - all things be equal ofcourse, education and performance wise
Take it this way. Two people with no sexual characteristics work a job.

Person A does his job quickly, efficiently and better than Person B.

Person B does a worse job than Person A, but scrapes along.

Would you think it fair that both Person A and B recieve the same pay? It would be unjust for you to think that.
EvilSheep
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Misogynist)
You probably do it worse. That's the whole thing.
Excuse me?? What's your evidence for that?? You don't know me.
Jelkin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tumtetum)
I don't really understand why those arguing against equal pay on the basis of maternity leave cannot see the continuation of the human race a valuable thing. If intelligent women are expected to have children, maternity leave must exist - think of the loss of intelligent and capable workforce through firing them if they become pregnant .

I am a woman, and it infuriates me that at some point in my life, i may be limited by that. No-one talks about it, but its an awful situation to face. I hope to god I never encounter chauvinists like those in this thread
Exactly.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Have you ever heard of men wanting to have children?? They do exist you know.. So why should there be no consequences for them??
Tell me what can be done then? I want children one day, I still don't see your point though? Women don't have to stay at home, for whatever reason they choose to. There is no 'Women Stay At Home Act' or anything. The simple fact that you're given 6 months off paid afterwards gives rise to the basic common sense idea that you would continue to stay off rather than having a switch around with the man. Please show me evidence of women being forced to stay at home because of stigmatisation or stop posting.
EvilSheep
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by WithFlyingColours)
In my opinion you don't do that to anyone, man or woman.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Excuse me?? What's your evidence for that?? You don't know me.
Maybe from his personal experience women work worse? If you're above proof why isnt he?
tumtetum
Report 10 years ago
Why can't you just accept that when YOU have children it is YOU who will likely end up looking after them? Women are more driven by hormones to care for their children, as I said before, a chemical called PEA is released. (strangely enough it's the same chemical that makes women enjoy hugs more than men as well). My own mother was happy to work nights to look after my sister and me, she wanted to have children so she looked after us. What exactly can be done to make sure women don't stay at home? I can ask any woman I like, how about I ask my old a-level law teacher who continued to work 60 hour weeks on £500 p/h after her maternity leave was up? Anecdotal evidence isn't going to get us anywhere, if you want to argue a point find me a study, if not then give up. If you see children as a burden on your life rather than an enhancement then perhaps you should think twice before having them...
I don't think I have said that I can't accept having to look after my own children if I have them? I would most definitely work after havign children, and I'm most certainly not saying we should be looked after for the entirety of the childs upbringing. Pregnancy puts a lot of strain on a womans body, she cannot be expected to work through that - most women are very keen to go back to work. Believe it or not a lot of women find the daily grind of nursery life pretty dull and are keen to start working again.

If anecdotal evidence isn't going to get us anywhere, I believe the situaton of your mother and a-level teacher are irrelevant, are they not?
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Women are good at ironing, washing clothes, cooking, cleaning and questionably.. sex. Men are good at everything else.

Women should be paid more for the above, and less for everything else.

End of discussion.
Bornstubborn
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Jelkin)
In this case, men should have to pay higher taxes than women, because they are far more likely to commit crime and use more money from the NHS.

No? Of course not.

On a side note, it bothers me that women are criticised for the maternity leave thing, as though having children is a bad thing. If women all decided not to have kids, they'd be criticised as selfish and the country would have a crisis. The fact is, for the human race to continue, women HAVE to have children, and it's not their fault, and it shouldn't be considered as something to be punished.
Men commit more crime this is true however i think women cost the NHS more money.

A business should not have to pay for a women deciding she should have kids. Business' are not a charity they are a business.
The human race will continue if women get paid more money for no extra work or not.

I think the reality of the situation is that if women are to have what some would consider equal pay then wages would decrease for everyone. Obviously its impossible to pay women more without cutting the pay of men. So men will work less, they will avoid harder jobs, they will avoid hard education and we will become a poorer and worse of nation.
EvilSheep
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Tell me what can be done then? I want children one day, I still don't see your point though? Women don't have to stay at home, for whatever reason they choose to. There is no 'Women Stay At Home Act' or anything. The simple fact that you're given 6 months off paid afterwards gives rise to the basic common sense idea that you would continue to stay off rather than having a switch around with the man. Please show me evidence of women being forced to stay at home because of stigmatisation or stop posting.
I won't stop posting. As long as the men in here can post ridiculous things I am allowed to give my opinion.
Yes, women may choose to stay at home, but what other choice do they have when they have children?? Men also choose to have children, yet they don't have this problem (at least not in England it seems. In Norway, men are entitled many more weeks of paternity leave, and they can choose to divide the maternity leave as well..)
So there is a solution. Kind of. Men have to take more time off and actually care for their children.
WithFlyingColours
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
LOL, that would be well funny. I can imagine you in court, when the judge asks you why you decked her you can say it's because you're all for equality.
Haha! That would silence her - what an achievement to silence a woman eh

The arrogance of some of the females on this thread is worrying. I've always had a theory about why girls seem to think they are superior to men, and it's because they don't grow up with the same level of competition as we do. Unfortunately their scheming ways of becoming equal are affecting this country badly. Why not earn equality? If you're equal it will show eventually. Becoming equal through laws and legislation is like getting daddy to buy you a new car because it's what you want.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think I have said that I can't accept having to look after my own children if I have them? I would most definitely work after havign children, and I'm most certainly not saying we should be looked after for the entirety of the childs upbringing. Pregnancy puts a lot of strain on a womans body, she cannot be expected to work through that - most women are very keen to go back to work. Believe it or not a lot of women find the daily grind of nursery life pretty dull and are keen to start working again.

If anecdotal evidence isn't going to get us anywhere, I believe the situaton of your mother and a-level teacher are irrelevant, are they not?
I used my anecdotal evidence as a conflict of evidence to hers, hence the reason anecdotal evidence cannot provide us with a definiative answer to the argument. If you want to argue a point then find some real evidence to back it up.
Bornstubborn
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Yes bornstubbon, I am very naive and 'brainless' What is this oh-so-dangerous job that you have?
I work on the railway.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I won't stop posting. As long as the men in here can post ridiculous things I am allowed to give my opinion.
Yes, women may choose to stay at home, but what other choice do they have when they have children?? Men also choose to have children, yet they don't have this problem (at least not in England it seems. In Norway, men are entitled many more weeks of paternity leave, and they can choose to divide the maternity leave as well..)
So there is a solution. Kind of. Men have to take more time off and actually care for their children.
This could happen anyway, but people are clearly choosing to calibrate their family life in such a way that men are doing the majority of paid work and women the majority of household work. It's just the way it is, through choice not force. If it was just opinion you were stateing that would be fine, but you're presenting a stigmatisation of women in work with children as fact which quite simply isn't the case. If you want to use facts then prove them.
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Equality doesn't mean equal pay. It means justice in salaries.

If you do the job better, you get paid more. Men usually do the job better. I can't see what all the fuss and arguments are all about.

THIS is equality.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (210)
39.77%
No - but I will (34)
6.44%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.82%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (248)
46.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise