McCain picks a female running mate! Watch

Kondar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Made in the USA)
This "who has more experience, Palin or Obama" argument has been going on for several pages now. The one thing all you Obama supporters are missing is that Palin isn't heading the ticket.
The difference between the two is that one was a moose hunting mayor of a village 2 years ago with a 4 year degree, while the other was president of the Harvard Law Review, extremely well educated, and had been elected to a national office- more importantly he has worked his way into this position, planned and sacrificed for it. The other inherited the position largely because of her gender.
Meus
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kondar)
The difference between the two is that one was a moose hunting mayor of a village 2 years ago with a 4 year degree, while the other was president of the Harvard Law Review, extremely well educated, and had been elected to a national office- more importantly he has worked his way into this position, planned and sacrificed for it. The other inherited the position largely because of her gender.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner!
Ezekiel
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This "who has more experience, Palin or Obama" argument has been going on for several pages now. The one thing all you Obama supporters are missing is that Palin isn't heading the ticket.
Of course we get it, what you don’t get is the vast majority of people in the world but more importantly America think it’s a super powerful important job that requires somebody with lots of experience. They think that even more because McCain has been banging on about experience for the past 2 years, he’s being undone by his own campaign. His vice candidate is inexperienced that is the perception and that perception is here to stay she needs to prove otherwise, they are now on the defensive a position they didn’t have to be in.

With all the fan fair surrounding Obama saying he is incapable simply does not wash with independents and weak democrats, nobody can say now that they can’t imagine Obama in the white house. They can see him there which is progression as he was a nobody, whether they want him there is another matter. What you don’t get is a vice president should be experienced and able to be president from day one, she’ll be learning on the job, and if anything were to happen to McCain she’d have the exact same ticket as Obama more experience in terms of years at the bottom of the ticket than the top.

Obama inexperienced, ok look at his judgement he was right about Iraq, he was right about withdrawal he’s right about middle America feeling the pinch and them wanting middle class tax cuts. (he’s right in the sense he’s populist/ in tune) McCain has chosen somebody inexperienced in terms of national and international politics It’s quite contradictory, and that’s how simple minded un-politically motivated individuals will view it. McCain’s judgement is called into question, something which is a democrat weapon; McCain voting with the Bush administration 90% of the time =bad judgement, McCain selecting a inexperienced nobody in the minds of many = bad judgement. Drip ... Drip ...Drip.

I agree, we should perhaps move the discussion on to something else.
Meus
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I disagree with you in your belief that McCain will be on the defense in regards to her inexperience. That'd be hypocritical from Obama's side; what they will do now is ensure any attack on Obama's lack of experience is shot back at McCain's judgement in choosing an inexperienced candidate himself, so in that sense, the McCain campaign do not have their biggest weapon. It just makes them less of an attacking threat, in which Obama will now have a bigger defense.
Ezekiel
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Meus)
I disagree with you in your belief that McCain will be on the defense in regards to her inexperience. That'd be hypocritical from Obama's side; what they will do now is ensure any attack on Obama's lack of experience is shot back at McCain's judgement in choosing an inexperienced candidate himself, so in that sense, the McCain campaign do not have their biggest weapon. It just makes them less of an attacking threat, in which Obama will now have a bigger defense.
I didn’t suggest that pointing to McCain’s choice for VP should be a defence against McCain’s suggestions that Obama is inexperienced. If the republicans attack Obama on that front, then you reduce the impact and even reverse the trend by rolling out Obama all over the world meeting important statesmen/women Angela Mircle, Gordon Brown, Tony Blair etc < he’ll look presidential. Obama not being up to it isn’t really believable after his speech and his endorsements.

You link McCain’s choice for VP to old politics and political games (it is clearly a stunt), bad judgement desperation on the part of the republicans, abortion and gay rights etc, all of which are Obama themes.

Rather than going wild on Obama, they’ll have to spend money they don’t have on proving that she’s up to both jobs (which is absurd) and giving her name recognition. You really disagree with that? Obama doesn’t need to prove to the nation that Biden is up to the Job of Vice or President should the worse happen.
Ezekiel
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bismarck)
Are you serious? Ever heard of McCain-Feingold? McCain-Kennedy? The Climate Stewardship Act (you know, leading the way to combat global warming, instead of just talking it, unlike a certain senator from Illinois). McCain's been responsible for a decent portion of the major bills over the last decade. To compare that to Obama's non-existent achievements is ludicrous.

The 90% figure is meaningless. Most votes are procedural and voted entirely among party lines. It's the other 10% that are important. McCain opposed giving more money to oil companies (unlike Obama, who supported it). He opposed most pork spending (unlike Obama, who supported most of it). McCain is not in the pockets of the corn-based ethanol lobby, unlike Obama. So don't try to portray this as McCain being a Bush clone. If anything, Obama is more of Bush, wishing to cut taxes while increasing spending by ungodly amounts.
McCain-Feingold I’ve heard of not the rest. I’ve never studied American policy before, I’m about to do it at university. I’ve only got knowledge of parties, institutions, ideology, issues etc not policy (nitty gritty). Thanks I’m going to read up on them. I guess you didn’t like the “I’ll end our dependence on foreign oil in 10 years” line. He needs to put flesh on that. McCain is pretty much signed up to the Buch economic policy though...

I’m looking into your special interest comments. Whilst the 90% figure might be meaningless it’s not worthless. Voters are not going to look at the policy line by line, McCain won’t have the time to announce in-depth explanations like the one you’ve given. McCain have you voted with bush 90% of the time yes or no. Yes. That’s what people will remember. Whilst this is an assumption because I’ve not looked into it yet, I dare say the special interests that Obama is mixed up in are in tune with what people want (welfare etc)/ big government protection.

Taking what you said at face value, I can’t see why the McCain campaign is giving Obama such an easy ride, your message certainly isn’t getting any airtime.

Also, Obama and Biden have done 60 minutes, they’re going after Sarah Palin very aggressively, in the ways discussed. Obama on Biden “he can step in and become president." the inference being Sarah Palin is not ready to do that, McCain has bad judgement, drip... drip. http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/60mi...main3415.shtml They won’t attack her they’ll let the media do it for free, and the republicans will be on the defensive. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4400811.shtml
FoeGeddaBowDeet
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bismarck)
You might want to read her bio. She was elected precisely because she fought corruption. :confused: And being a state senator is hardly more important than being a mayor of a small town. At least a mayor does something; a state senator does virtually nothing, especially when the other party is in power (as was the case for 6-7 out of Obama's 8 years).

And that wiki link is ludicrous. Apparently him "supporting a bill" or going to visit countries is somehow important. Seriously.
I've read her bio; and it doesn't matter why she's selected. It's a fact she's involved in a corruption scandal. That's not very becoming of a corruption fighter, is it? Bismarck, the lengths you're going to just to discredit Obama amaze me. Honestly, you're comparing Illinois state level politics to small town politics? Here are the duties of the Wasilla mayor from their municipal code:
"1. Preside at council meetings. The mayor may take part in the discussion of matters before the council, but may not vote, except that the mayor may vote in the case of a tie;

2. Act as ceremonial head of the city;"
Remember this is a town of 6,000 people. Yeah, sounds like this would have thorougly prepared Mrs. Palin for the presidency. Come on Bismarck, do you honestly think she was the best choice? She's a gimmick. She was picked because she's a woman and the couple of days of semi-positive coverage she garnered is the best it's gonna get. Romney might be wooden, he might have a lot of houses, but he'd be a 10x better VP than Sarah Palin.
Chronos
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
On the plus side for Palin, the reaching out to HRC supporters is clearly working.
Ezekiel
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Chronos)
On the plus side for Palin, the reaching out to HRC supporters is clearly working.
Obviosuly they needed to try but going after clinton supporters will just make your core support stay at home, and they really can't afford that. The christian right are not only core support but they are the grass roots activits everything rests on them coming out and going out in the rain delivering leaflets and stuff...
Made in the USA
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kondar)
Some people have argued that BO is where he is because of his skin color. :embarrassed:
Kondar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Some people have argued that BO is where he is because of his skin color. :embarrassed:
Obama has certainly both gained and lost votes because of his skin color, albeit probably more of the former. However, and I think most people will admit this, he is the most charismatic and articulate of the democratic candidates and that is the reason he was elected, not because of his race.

You can take Obama out of his shell and he would still be politically viable, however, Palin removed from hers suddenly becomes unmistakingly arbitrary.
Ezekiel
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey to move this on slightly what do you think they should do about their convention? If they are partying down while the golf is under water it will reinforce the message of being out of touch.

If they carry on as usual they won’t dent the Obama-Biden 8-10 point lead which would be disastrous in the long term as he’s out campaigning in key states and will probably head into the disaster zone.

If they turn their convention into a fund raiser that still applies but it would look as if they are capitalising on the disaster/they won’t be able to get a partisan message across.

Also, the fact that they are changing anything at all highlights the fact that McCain has no faith in the Bush administration to handle this after they cocked it up the first time which democrat surrogates have been arguing. Again it sort of casts doubts about McCain’s judgement voting with the Bush administration 90% of the time but not trusting them to be able to handle this.

This is pretty unfortunate I think they should cancel the whole convention, and hold it in a week or so when this is all over, they won’t get coverage and it’s all too risky. There was a guy on fox that said they just couldn’t afford to do that, not sure if that’s true. But yeah ... McCain tries to upstage Obama’s speech by selecting a woman and God upstages McCain by sending a category 5 hurricane. .. I wonder if the evangelicals will see it as a sign that they are on the side of the devil! Hehe.
ssk2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why not, I dunno... use the convention for its proper purpose?! You know, announcing who is running on the GOP ticket in the election. This plays against Obama's cult of celebrity convention which IMO was an embarrassment and the Republicans can graceful announce their ticket whilst at the same time, paying their respects to what may (or may not) happen in N'Orleans.
Chronos
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
He's holding a press conference in an hour, so we'll find out soon enough what the plan is.
Ezekiel
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ssk2)
Why not, I dunno... use the convention for its proper purpose?! You know, announcing who is running on the GOP ticket in the election. This plays against Obama's cult of celebrity convention which IMO was an embarrassment and the Republicans can graceful announce their ticket whilst at the same time, paying their respects to what may (or may not) happen in N'Orleans.
Yeah that would work, the word is theres going to be major changes phone banks on the campaign floor, volunteers etc I think it will back fire, it looks oppertunist if they don't allow Democrats to take part and if they do that they are sort of strenghening Obama making him look (bi-partisan) which he isn't. The fact that they are changing towards appeals sort of suggests they don't think the mush administraion is up to it.
ssk2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I didn't understand what your post was on about... please explain.
Sculler
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just throwing this in; sorry if it's been mentioned already - I only checked the last couple of pages.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/20...137/486/580223
PeeWeeDan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sculler)
Just throwing this in; sorry if it's been mentioned already - I only checked the last couple of pages.

Conspiracy theory lol.
Kondar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sculler)

Do yourself a favor and delete this post- the DailyKos is a extremist haven that runs with any bit of trash they can get their hands on. You might as well reference the Onion.
Sculler
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by PeeWeeDan)
Conspiracy theory lol.
Whether it's true or not makes not the slightest difference if the rumor spreads widely; see swiftboating in the last elections.

I take no position on whether it's true*, but I'm throwing it in as something that may be a factor.

*Edit: this isn't a cop out way of saying I believe it without having to say it; it's because I don't have the inclination to go and find out enough information to get a sensible opinion.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.69%
No (665)
60.62%
Not really bothered about them (227)
20.69%

Watched Threads