What is your opinion on EMA? Watch

*Dreaming*
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Ok, I have a question for EMA recievers- would you think it was fairer that everyone recieved it? Or would you have a problem with it, because we apparently have "rich parents" (which is totally untrue by the way).
Surely you can see how it's unfair to the people that don't recieve it?
Barden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gm15)
3. If they'd abolished EMA while I was claiming it I wouldn't have cared in the slightest.

I don't think the majority could say the same
Barden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by *Dreaming*)
Ok, I have a question for EMA recievers- would you think it was fairer that everyone recieved it? Or would you have a problem with it, because we apparently have "rich parents" (which is totally untrue by the way).
Surely you can see how it's unfair to the people that don't recieve it?

As long as I get my £30 a week I dont care how many other people get it.
CJ99
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Barden)
In Scotland public spending is much higher per capita than in England.....not that I'm complaining of course, Scotland is just working the system like everybody tries to do............
Thats because Scotland is better! :p: :woo: :p:
electriic_ink
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DaneCook)
£2.4k, and that's a lot? Ok then if you say so. :yep:
In case you hadn't noticed, you can do a lot with £2,400. Anyway...
DaneCook
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by electriic_ink)
In case you hadn't noticed, you can do a lot with £2,400. Anyway...
Some people can. Not like everyone is the same :rolleyes:
*Dreaming*
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by DaneCook)
Some people can. Not like everyone is the same :rolleyes:
Most people have to work to earn that sort of money. EMA recievers just get it given to them.
It's quite alot of money to get just for going to school :rolleyes:
Titch89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by *Dreaming*)
Most people have to work to earn that sort of money. EMA recievers just get it given to them.
It's quite alot of money to get just for going to school :rolleyes:
Believe it or not, people on EMA generally have to reach targets to get their EMA.
lilangel890
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why is this not in the sixth form/college general area?

Gaaah, what is the point of everyone arguing?

I need the £20 (please get your act together, stoopie company) for transport and other stuff. My mum gives me no pocket money btw cause she can't afford to.
asdasta
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's a good idea, but whatever way it is implemented, people are going to complain. I was happy to qualify for £30 based on my dad's low/non-existent income, although to that regard, it meant that I didn't have to work during college when I full well could have (although had I worked aswell, I would've been minted :p:).

Plus, I recieved EMA the first year it was implemented, and the system was so flawed. It required that I register twice a day in my sixth form library, and one small blip and the entire thing messes up. I recall once or twice having to come in to register when I didn't even have a lesson in the afternoon! And then my college even introduced EMA slips that we had to get each teacher for each class to sign. It was hugely unpopular and was ditched after a while, thankfully.

I'll be honest, I didn't use it one bit for college-related supplies - I spent 90% of it on DVDs, games, and going out. The system, as I say, is flawed, and those that really need the help don't get it (ala those with rich parents who give them bugger all).
sophisticated
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by missygeorgia)
Nobody's saying that people deserve EMA because their parents don't give them pocket money, or that people shouldn't have to work part time jobs to get money for leisure time. The point is that students at sixth form shouldn't have to work strenuous part time jobs in order to pay for things like travel, text books, etc. Of course people should get part time jobs for money for things like going out, but it's a different thing when they can't afford necessities for school.
Fair point, but MY point is that alot of EMA money given out doesn't get spent on things like travel, text books etc at all.
Any kind of funding issued should be given out in the form of vouchers, free bus passes etc, so that they can be used in the manner intended instead of just wasted on other rubbish.
BrightGirl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't like it because I don't get it.

But obviously it's great for those that do. £30/20/10 a week for going to college? Yes please.

Edit: I'm also bitter because I can't get a job.
kayjay
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have a question, if ema is to help people get to school, get stationary etc, why do they get 'bonuses' ? for all that extra equipment they need?
Selkarn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it is an effective way of encouraging students from non-tradtional backgrounds into FE, yes. Many will be desperate to earn some money (they won't have had the material advantages wealth can bring and this can make them short sighted when they are faced with a decision to work or study) and then many never go back into education. Plus they are less likely to have attended a school which encouraged FE and more likely to come from families who don't either.

Clearly the government has decided it is better for the economy for them to go into FE, hence the 'bribe'.

There are other reasons why these children tend to leave education at 16 of course, and it is not necessarily the case that they can't or won't benefit from FE. If EMA helps then, then yes, it is a good investment.

There has always been drop outs and there still will be, from students with EMA and without. I think it would be interesting to compare the drop out rates too, taking factors other then EMA into consideration too of course.

There are downsides with the system though - there always is with these things.
hakunamatata
Report 10 years ago
i got ema during sixth form, i think it's great
but that's obviously because i was getting £30 a week for free and the odd £100 bonus here and there

don't have an opinion on the other stuff like whether it's good that some get it and some don't or whatever, too many sides to consider, my head hurts. probably yes though. i don't know what i'm saying yes to, but yes seems positive? so yes.
--Dan--
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's terrible!

I can't find the article on the BBC but EMA students won't be receiving their payments for a couple of weeks!

It's just tragic! I mean, how will they cope without £30 for one week?

(P.S I'm being Sarcastic)
#1Genius
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's a complete waste of money. How about providing funding for textbooks etc to be bought through the school at no charge to the poorer pupils, or encouraging bus companies to offer student rates?

That would ensure that the money was going to good use, and that it was being used for its original purpose.
History Lost in Physics
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CJ99)
Then move to a closer school. And if you live in an area with no local schools then the goverement should supply transport, not money for transport.

I'm POOR

No because the government providing me with a bus just for me would be SLIGHTLY more expensive than giving me the money to get a bus. If you had possibly thought of maybe say, a free bus pass then maybe that would be a good idea!
#1Genius
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by History Lost in Physics)
I'm POOR

No because the government providing me with a bus just for me would be SLIGHTLY more expensive than giving me the money to get a bus. If you had possibly thought of maybe say, a free bus pass then maybe that would be a good idea!
Silly assertions from others aside, though, you have to admit that EMA is a flawed system.
History Lost in Physics
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by #1Genius)
Silly assertions from others aside, though, you have to admit that EMA is a flawed system.
Yes it is - I have said as much in previous posts. However I would rather people who don't need EMA got it than I had not gone to sixthform!

Personally I favour students being provided with their travel costs if they themselves cannot afford them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1206)
79.6%
Leave (309)
20.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise