This makes me sick to the stomach... Watch

Sanyore
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by necessarily benevolent)
I am saying that.
Well, then, I can wipe my hands of any discussion with you.
necessarily benevolent
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Meteorshower)
So who murders the executioner?
Returning the favour is not a favour of its own merit.
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
People who slaughter innocents of their own free will forfeit their human rights when they commit crimes. It would be an insult to their victims to let them live.
Dubious statement.
Diaz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
She bloody well deserves the death penalty I'd say
nempozpag
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
An eye for an eye.
Leaves the whole world blind.
necessarily benevolent
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by nempozpag)
Leaves the whole world blind.
and as the guy above said, you turn the other cheek and lose the other eye.
Em_maK
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What
The
Hell

Poor thing
hec
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
my comment got lost on the last page after a string of pithy replies from everyone else, i would like to see what some pro/anti capital punishment people think
Liquidus Zeromus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Meteorshower)
So who murders the executioner?
Murder is the unlawful killing of another human person with malice aforethought, as defined in Common Law countries.
Murder does not equal all killing.
Vesta
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To an extent, yes. Take it this way, my ideal punishment for paedophile's would be a form of rehabilitation ("rehabilitation" as I call it). They should be hung by their testicles from a chestnut tree and slowly castrated over an hour or so. For one, this form of terrifying torture would be enough to let people think again about kiddy fiddling and it would also prevent those punished from committing their crimes again. And if they die from blood loss then it's their fault for being in that position in the first place. Everyone's a winner.
You're assuming all paedophiles:

1) Are men

2) Commit illegal acts. It's perfectly legal to be a paedophile - acting on it illegally, however, is not.

And just for the record, I think that's a horrific and barbaric way to punish someone. It really does disgust me.
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Much as I am tiring of you ignoring the questions; who is this lady a risk to?
necessarily benevolent
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
Much as I am tiring of you ignoring the questions; who is this lady a risk to?
Society and its functions (and probably babies).
necessarily benevolent
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Vesta)
You're assuming all paedophiles:

1) Are men

2) Commit illegal acts. It's perfectly legal to be a paedophile - acting on it illegally, however, is not.

And just for the record, I think that's a horrific and barbaric way to punish someone. It really does disgust me.
Yes, I used the term losely. 'Convicted paedophiles' if that makes you feel any better. It's one example of just punishment, they're not exactly going to do it again are they? :p:

And why does it disgust you? It's a completely legitimate position, just like any other. Is it because it doesn't conform to the general trend and thought pattern of our liberal PC society?
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Society and its functions (and probably babies).
Who in society?

It's functions? Roll on. :rolleyes:

Other people's babies? It depends on her diagnosis, but it would be unusual if she was. Even if she was, why would she remain so once treated?
saoirse
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As soon as I heard this on the radio yesterday I felt so sick. The poor, poor little thing- what an monstrous way to die.

What is going on in that woman's head
Vesta
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes, I used the term losely. 'Convicted paedophiles' if that makes you feel any better. It's one example of just punishment, they're not exactly going to do it again are they? :p:

And why does it disgust you? It's a completely legitimate position, just like any other. Is it because it doesn't conform to the general trend and thought pattern of our liberal PC society?
It disgusts me because you're advocating torture. It's inhumane. There are reasons why torture is illegal.

Please answer my point from before? (copied and pasted below)

It's not a question of punishment. It's a matter of setting a standard. For one, if someone's dead it's very difficult to fulfill said crime again (very very difficult), and two, if people know they're going to be killed for a crime it would inevitably beget a more stable society with no more baby boiling (you're all going to slate me for fear-mongering now, no doubt).

Setting a standard? No. It's clear that the woman is mentally ill. I highly doubt that the minute before she killed her baby, she thought "oh, how will I be punished?", and then act accordingly. She has mental problems and probably never even considered the consequences of her actions. And this goes for all the mentally-ill killers out there.

I'm not going to attack you for fear-mongering, simply because I don't really wish to justify your comment with a response.

I'd just like to add that your username is highly ironic. It doesn't seem like you're all that benevolent.
necessarily benevolent
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Vesta)
It disgusts me because you're advocating torture. It's inhumane. There are reasons why torture is illegal.

Please answer my point from before? (copied and pasted below)

Setting a standard? No. It's clear that the woman is mentally ill. I highly doubt that the minute before she killed her baby, she thought "oh, how will I be punished?", and then act accordingly. She has mental problems and probably never even considered the consequences of her actions. And this goes for all the mentally-ill killers out there.

I'm not going to attack you for fear-mongering, simply because I don't really wish to justify your comment with a response.

I'd just like to add that your username is highly ironic. It doesn't seem like you're all that benevolent.
As I said, it would be the weakest option and foolish to take a risk on this kind of thing. Her mental state is irrelevant, the action justifies the punishment.

P.S. I am a Darwinist, Conservative (slightly authoritarian) and an act utilitarian. I can still be benevolent as well as sticking by my views.
Sanyore
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes, because she would be able to do that behind iron bars in a concrete prison.
And, I'm assuming that since you're saying that all death should be rewarded with death, that Barry George should've been executed in 2001? When it turns out he's actually innocent? Along with all the misjudged trials in history? Do tell, Almighty judge of morality, how you plan to prevent such errors of judgement in the future? And accidental deaths? A hit-and-run while talking on the phone on a deserted road should be rewarded with death? A firearm accidentally going off should be rewarded with death? Yes, you'll say "But they had no premeditated malice, your honour!" Alright. Do you know what, I have much faith in the hearts of evil men & women to think "Wahey! That's a loophole, since they can't read my mind, but killing is bad, so I won't." Very likely.
And people who claim they did in fact, kill someone by accident, with no premeditated malice, even though they have motive to kill someone?
jjbristol
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
I'm confused.

You suggest not rehabilitating this woman and using the money to rehabilitate someone similar to this woman (who would or wouldn't be ill)?
no i'm suggesting that we offer ''help'' to people in prison who HAVEN'T as of yet killed/raped anybody but are likely to do so. You can often predict who the future murderers are using the exact psychology you have been advocating. So why not target the possible murderers of tomorrow (saving lives) rather than waste the energy on someone who has already had their chance and taken a life?

There is a difference between a mentally ill patient who talks of killing someone and a convict who already has done. I know where i'd prefer my tax be spent.
Liquidus Zeromus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I agree that torture is wrong. I wouldn't wish it on anyone or anything, except in extreme circumstances when it can extract information which will save thousands of lives. Capital punishment is alot more humane.

Anyway, this is getting tiresome. I will check back in a while.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
28.42%
No - I got the required grades (108)
59.02%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.57%

Watched Threads