Turn on thread page Beta

Hadron Collider halted for months watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    Same here, I was astonished when it worked when they turned it on :p: Although if it was me I'd already have turned it on and checked that it worked before I did the "switching on" ceremony. I expect that's what they did.
    To be honest they must have done, because they will have had to check the linac, booster, synchrotron, supersynchrotron and main ring sequentially as well as powering up the magnets and checking the septums across each injection. It's inconceivable that there won't have been test injections into parts of the system way before the official switch on. Of course it could still have all gone tits up anyway. You can never guarantee that you aren't going to develop a fault every time you attempt an injection. Although I think someone is going to get a telling off for not checking a weld properly, but these things happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    To be honest they must have done, because they will have had to check the linac, booster, synchrotron, supersynchrotron and main ring sequentially as well as powering up the magnets and checking the septums across each injection. It's inconceivable that there won't have been test injections into parts of the system way before the official switch on. Of course it could still have all gone tits up anyway. You can never guarantee that you aren't going to develop a fault every time you attempt an injection. Although I think someone is going to get a telling off for not checking a weld properly, but these things happen.
    Hmm, true. It's a massive achievement though, I wish I was born early enough to get involved. Still, there's always the next one :p: Hopefully it'll be fixed fairly soon, and then we can see whether this pesky Higgs really does exist, as well as hopefully debunk 90% of the crazy theories that occasionally appear in NS with the caveat that "the extra particles predicted by this model require higher energies to detect than are presently available"

ReputationRep:
    There will always be a future in particle physics and in particle accelerators. They have enormous potential for therapeutic cancer treatments for example as well as the fundamental scientific interest. I always get a raised eyebrow when I say that most large western hospitals have at least one particle accelerator in the basement!

You'll be just in time for when they start building the next one.

(Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)
    Judgement day hasn't come yet.

Oh dear... and all our Christians had such high hopes that it would make their hours of ramblings and wasted sunday mornings pay off.

Back to apologetics, I guess. :rolleyes:

And don't act interested. You were the one on the initial attack. A sarcastic one at that. You were rooting for an argument, shame on you.
    This is becoming very monotonous....go read all my posts and stop jumping on the opportunistic bandwagon to have a pop at someone, who because they are a Christian, is assumed to have no faith in science....shame on you.

It may not be popular, but I think it's right to say that Yawn hasn't actually criticised the scientific method on this thread. It seems that the majority have just assumed it from her post.
    Incidentally, raising my query on the General D&D thread has come up with far more information on the LHC than anything most on here have offered. I probably know more about it now than you do...thanks to 'Darkened Angel.'

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm afraid it's obvious you were rooting for an argument. I don't know why, shouldn't you be out trying to convert people?

So, when is judgement day again? :rolleyes:

OCD? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    Hmm, true. It's a massive achievement though, I wish I was born early enough to get involved. Still, there's always the next one :p: Hopefully it'll be fixed fairly soon, and then we can see whether this pesky Higgs really does exist, as well as hopefully debunk 90% of the crazy theories that occasionally appear in NS with the caveat that "the extra particles predicted by this model require higher energies to detect than are presently available"
    You'll be pleased when you get to Peterhouse then. Loads of people here are directly involved with the project.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)
    Pff. Yes, but not an equal replacement. Replacing something with absolutely no evidence to support its existence, with something which is based upon tried and tested methods where we acknowledge contradictions and keep trying until we find the truth.
    Society is slowly liking science more than god, but it doesn't mean you can dismiss science as just another form of god which people follow just as blindly. Science has substance behind it, god has old pieces of paper saying "He exists. Believe it".
    You misrepresent the theist's position in many respects (the nonsense about 'absolutely no evidence' and 'just old pieces of paper with the message "He exists; believe it"'). I wouldn't even say that they are actually adequate replacements at all, but rather that science seems to have replaced God as society perceives it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    OCD? :rolleyes:
    Transatlanticdrawl_ is just doing to you what you did to us in your first post.

Oh, and > :rolleyes:

(Original post by Iain 815)
    Transatlanticdrawl_ is just doing to you what you did to us in your first post.

Oh, and > :rolleyes:
    Whatever...back to thread...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Whatever...back to thread...
    There is no thread. You killed it with sarcasm. I suggest you stop pretending to be genuinely interested in something, just to mock it, and start a thread on converting people or something. At least then your intentions would be sincere and you'd not be rooting for an argument with sarcasm.

In prediction of your response:

- I have read your posts, so don't tell me to "go read them". If I weren't reading them, I wouldn't be quoting you right now.

- I am not jumping on any bandwagon, opportunistic or otherwise. This thread is pathetic and it needed to be said. It's pathetic how you feel the need to create such a thread, and then pedantically claim that you never did directly criticise the LHC. It may not have been a direct statement, but you were simply looking for an argument.

And now this thread needs closing. It's not constructive. There was an offical LHC thread and it's temporary hitches can be discused in there. Or at least it needs closing once you've responded to this, as I know you like to have the last word, which is fine by me.

Anyway, I thought you'd shooed off to another forum with this anyway? That is, if your intentions truly were to discuss the recent problems with the LHC.

ReputationRep:
    This is why I almost never use the rolleyes smilie.

ReputationRep:
    ............anyway.......
    are Fermilab involved in the LHC at all? i'm sure they're pretty jealous of the thing.

oh, and (possible derailment here) is anyone here familiar with the Pioneer Effect? could this potentially be explained by the Higgs mechanism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pocket Calculator)
    ............anyway.......
    are Fermilab involved in the LHC at all? i'm sure they're pretty jealous of the thing.
    http://www-td.fnal.gov/LHC/FermiLHC.html

That was their involvement or at least part of it at that time, all these guys are all involved somehow still.

Everyone who is anyone in accelerator or particle physics is or has been involved in the LHC, that many people are needed on the project.

I was watching a film this afternoon that featured the Hadron Collier and it called to mind this thread!

Any updates yet on when we can expect it to try again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    I was watching a film this afternoon that featured the Hadron Collier and it called to mind this thread!
    Was it Angels and Demons?

(Original post by Iain 815)
    Is there any word yet on when it's likely to recommence the experiment? And...no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Is there any word yet on when it's likely to recommence the experiment? And...no.
    November time(ish)

http://press.web.cern.ch/press/Press.../PR13.09E.html

(Original post by Captain Crash)
    November time(ish)

http://press.web.cern.ch/press/Press.../PR13.09E.html
    Aww...thanks, Crashy. November here it comes, hopefully!

The Times newspaper has a supplement all about the Hadron Collier in tomorrow's (Thursday) edition.

It should be really interesting and informatiive; I'm looking forward to reading it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 5, 2009
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.