Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I guess the conclusion was that doctors could earn a bit more but aren't that badly paid.

ReputationRep:
    Doctors get well paid in the UK which is right considering their skills. As well as their pay I think they should hold a high degree of influence over public policy, they are best placed to give their opinion on how to make us a healthier nation.

If I was in power though they would have a bit less take home pay simply because I would be increasing taxes to fund investment in other areas of the NHS, eg getting hospitals cleaned more effectively and increasing nurses pay.

I would also make major savings from other parts of the public purse eg stop paying for Trident and financing military operations overseas, get the British armed forces to operate back in the UK and use the money saved to increase nurses pay and invest in nurse recruitment and training so that we are not reliant on overseas nurses particularly from the third world. At a time when demands for health professionals are at their highest, countries like ourselves should be self sufficient for our own healthcare staff and leave the African nurses in Africa where they are needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old Timer)
    I guess the conclusion was that doctors could earn a bit more but aren't that badly paid.
    This seems a rather good sentiment to end the thread!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosaaa)
    I don't think they get paid enough considering the work they are doing.
    Rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    Rubbish.
    Super rebuttal. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    Rubbish.
    That's lovely, any particular reason why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old Timer)
    This/

ReputationRep:
    I think doctors get paid pretty fairly
    nurses should get more
    health care assistants should definately get paid more

ReputationRep:
    what i meant by get more nurses so that there are less superbugs on wards are that the less spreadly thin they are the more time they can spend being stringent over cleanliness on wards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egypt)
    This seems a rather good sentiment to end the thread!
    ~Wishful thinking... If willy talk can't do it, nothing can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_spanner89)
    I think they're being paid fair really. Maybe f1's and f2's could get a bit more, saying that they don't seem to have the time to spend it.

Compared to other health professionals, it is a lot- yes nurses have less responsibility, but we also do anti-social hours and deal with a lot of the social side of caring, eg abusive patients, violence etc- it should be more!
    Nurse pay is another matter. Nurses do get enhancements for antisocial hours, overtime etc which doctors do not usually get. I do think nurses should be paid more, but so should doctors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomhayden)
    what i meant by get more nurses so that there are less superbugs on wards are that the less spreadly thin they are the more time they can spend being stringent over cleanliness on wards.
    Your opinions are worthless here, nobody cares what you think you meant, you are wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomhayden)
    Still struggling to see the link between the more nurses there are being related to ward cleanliness and subsequent superbug numbers, given nurses don't do the cleaning :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I've had to clean an old man once with an erection.

I thought you had to sign contracts that stated if you spoke about anything you saw to anybody out-with the health centre you could potentially lose your job? I had to...

ReputationRep:
    Definately not. They're still training really, and get way more than the average graduate from any other degree gets after entry level. Half the f1's and f2's at the QMC seem to be running round trying to find x-rays or having sneaky **** lol
    According to this website, average grad gets 24k - i.e. more than a medicine grad gets
    http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/How_much_could_I_earn_/Salary_and_vacancy_FAQs__2_/What_is_the_average_graduate_sta rting_salary_/p!eaLXbeX

ReputationRep:
    should get more earlier on. for all those years at uni/med school, they deserve it!

ReputationRep:
    Definately not. They're still training really, and get way more than the average graduate from any other degree gets after entry level. Half the f1's and f2's at the QMC seem to be running round trying to find x-rays or having sneaky **** lol
    According to this website, average grad gets 24k - i.e. more than a medicine grad gets

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/How_much_could_I_earn_/Salary_and_vacancy_FAQs__2_/What_is_the_average_graduate_sta rting_salary_/p!eaLXbeX

Um, finding X rays and shizzle is surely part of their job? Smokers in general go for sneaky ****, be they doctor, nurse or whatever else. Why is that relevant? Of the smoking Drs and nurses I know, most of them all sneak off for sneaky ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastyCoke)
    I thought you had to sign contracts that stated if you spoke about anything you saw to anybody out-with the health centre you could potentially lose your job? I had to...

yeah if i mentioned a name.

eg mr smith had a catheter put in at ward C65 at 11am today..then i'll lose the job

(fake name and ward btw)

ReputationRep:
    Aye - better visitor education, less inappropriate Abx prescribing in general practice and more cleaners (with clean cleaning materials) would do much better than current measures. In terms of hand hygiene among hospital staff, I think we've generall reached the point where cost/benefit has been passed, and we need to look at other potential sources of infections and how to minimise them, rather than pushing increasingly expensive non-evidence based nonsense ...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    lots and lots and lots and lots

(and i'm not jsut saying that cos my bf is a med student)
    :ninja:

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.