Edexcel Biology - Unit 5B - June 12th (Old Spec) Watch

reemasq
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
yeah i agree.. when i initially got the paper.. on the front it said something like 7 questions.. so i thought.. "plenty of time" only to still be on question 3 like 45 mins through!
Medicine Man
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by reemasq)
yeah i agree.. when i initially got the paper.. on the front it said something like 7 questions.. so i thought.. "plenty of time" only to still be on question 3 like 45 mins through!
same
i ususally check the thickness of a paper before i start an exam (weird i know) so i have an idea of how mucg i'd have to do. Granted some pages are blank pages but it still gives you a general idea of how long it is.

Have to say the bio paper was very misleading, it felt so thin, but the detail required to understand the questions was ridiculous.
dudette26
Report 9 years ago
guys wat the hell was that strawberry question about?!??!?!
Cyrus The Great
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Lol, this paper was pretty bad. It was time management that failed for me to be honest, with only 10 minutes until the end of the test, I just finished only half of the paper.

The funniest answer I gave was for measuring the abiotic factor and seeing how it affects distribution of a named organism.

"Measure light intensity to see how it affects distribution of bats in a cave. Use a Light Meter to measure the intensity of light. The intensity of light will be given in Lux; the higher the value the higher the light intensity. Use random sampling to measure light intensities in areas of low light intensity and areas of high light intensity."

I don't think anyone in the right mind would have said bats in a cave lol. I guess it's called panic.
dudette26
Report 9 years ago
i said barnacles on a rocky seashore..i think i screwed that up too!! by the way..BATS lol!! very imaginative!!
Cyrus The Great
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dudette26)
i said barnacles on a rocky seashore..i think i screwed that up too!! by the way..BATS lol!! very imaginative!!
Lol I know, I actually feel to slap myself for saying that. I was going to say oxygen concentration in a pond to see how it affects goldfish distribution initially, but then I thought I'd be more creative :p:
liraelT
Report 9 years ago
Yer I had 10 minutes left nd hadn't gt on 2 las question so jus wrote sum ramble about a shift to the left cos less oxygen in the air
nd then had 2 try nd go quickly go bak nd fill in a few gaps/half answered questions.
I put parthenocarpy 4 C cos it had grown seedless fruit, A was normal nd B hadn't grown as the things (can't remember what the name was), were removed so wouldn't have developed fruit from them to protect the seeds.

For the investigation I did woodlice in a woodland, collecting with a pooter in a certain time (although to be honest an image of me sat pootering up woodlice did seem rather hilarious, but coudn't come up with anything better), then painted them, released, recaptured, lincoln's index. For abiotic I did soil moisture content by getting a sample of soil and calculating loss of water by putting it in oven @ 100c till no further water loss...then repeated in different areas. Not quite sure if this was 'distribution' though?

Loads of people came out of the exam saying they had started to plan a gap year half way through!
What with edexcel nuffield chemistry the day before which was also disgusting!
reemasq
Report 9 years ago
i think a lot of us that do bio and chem on edexcel feel like we might not be getting to uni this year! or at least i don't think i am!
Skycat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
One thing which I wasn't fully sure about was: what notation do you give two alleles that are codominant? I didn't want to call one "R" for red and then the "r" for white as that implies that the R allele is dominant, which is not. In the end I ended up doing "CR" and "CW" (Colour Red, Colour White) with the R and W subscript to try to make it more obvious that they're codominant. What did everyone else do?

I got the 1 to 1 to 1 to 1 ratio too.
liraelT
Report 9 years ago
yer I did the same as u C^R and C^W
did other people do a table that only had 4x1 as only one kind of gamete for the pure-breed flower?
Also how did u like title/label it?
ollie2410
Report 9 years ago
at least everyone found it a b***h, not just me =]
Medicine Man
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by liraelT)
yer I did the same as u C^R and C^W
did other people do a table that only had 4x1 as only one kind of gamete for the pure-breed flower?
Also how did u like title/label it?
yes i did a 4 by 1 punnett square as all the other gametes would be the same.

but some people did the 4 by 4 one which would still give you 4: 4: 4: 4 which is the same thing.
reemasq
Report 9 years ago
i didn't understand why the F1's were all pink and... (not radial) i forget the term they used... anyone got an idea?
Medicine Man
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Skycat)
One thing which I wasn't fully sure about was: what notation do you give two alleles that are codominant? I didn't want to call one "R" for red and then the "r" for white as that implies that the R allele is dominant, which is not. In the end I ended up doing "CR" and "CW" (Colour Red, Colour White) with the R and W subscript to try to make it more obvious that they're codominant. What did everyone else do?

I got the 1 to 1 to 1 to 1 ratio too.
Oh i used
R=red
r=white

and still got 1: 1: 1: 1

I really hope i don't loose marks for that, lost enough already
MagsMysh
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i didn't understand why the F1's were all pink and... (not radial) i forget the term they used... anyone got an idea?
the alleles for colour are codominant
reemasq
Report 9 years ago
and for shape aren't.. i think i got that.. in a round about way
liraelT
Report 9 years ago
It was because the red and white genes were codominant so combined together to produce pink when C^R C^W...however the other (not radial) was dominant to radial, so in Bb that would be the only one expressed in the phenotype.
jsandhu
Report 9 years ago
so for global warming one wat did u lot write?

i wrote that fossil fuels produce nitrogen oxide which is a more insulating gas than co2 ect u lot?
liraelT
Report 9 years ago
And I don't think it will matter if you put Rr, I only did the C^R, C^W because of the codominance but it should be okay...
randomtwo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jsandhu)
ethanol petroleum

80:20 ratio seems familar

and bio pest control

and also sucrose in hydrolysed and absorbed...into fructose and glucose

its ethanol 20 % petroleum 80 % ... not the other way round
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (112)
38.75%
No - but I will (13)
4.5%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.92%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (144)
49.83%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise