ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    Where else are they meant to go then? They won't go
    in the house.
    Nowhere. They should be culled. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pawsies)
    Where has this 90% come from?

I'd love to see how you propose to take these dogs away from their owners.
    Don't take that statistic literally, it is merely figurative and can be translated as 'a vast majority of'. And that is based on my personal experience, which I believe most people would agree is synonymous with their own personal experience.

Also, I don't see why it would be difficult to stop people like this owning dogs. If you don't care for your children, social services take them off you, so I see no reason why it would be impossible or impractical to do the same with pets.

And even if we couldn't take dogs from current dog owners, we can pass legislation governing that any dogs purchased or otherwise exchanged in future must be done so with an application to an authority who only accepts applications from licenced people. Licences are currently necessary to own certain types of exotic creatures, and this sort of thing should apply to dogs, and possibly other domestic pets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trixster)
    I agree. If only there was a way. Every responsible owner wishes there was a way of removing the idiot owners...believe me!
    We don't have to remove the owners, we just have to stop them from owning dogs...

Such a thing can be done using licencing, which is currently in place for the ownership of exotic animals in this country, and therefore, there's no reason why legislation can't be expanded to include the ownership of non-exotic domestic pets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    We don't have to remove the owners, we just have to stop them from owning dogs...

Such a thing can be done using licencing, which is currently in place for the ownership of exotic animals in this country, and therefore, there's no reason why legislation can't be expanded to include the ownership of non-exotic domestic pets.
    It wouldn't work. Pit Bulls are a banned breed in this country. They have been banned for over 20 years. Guess what? there are still plenty of Pit Bulls around. We have one living a couple of streets away.

It is not enforcable.

ReputationRep:
    dogs are scary...n people who own dogs are scarier

ReputationRep:
    No I love dogs not just my own either.However the problem is rubbish owners who allow their dogs to behave badly, which is a minority of cases results in a tragedy. In this country many dog owners have an attitude that their animal comes before other members of the public. This attitude is mostly common in single childless women who will treat the dog (an that is all it is at the end of the day) as some kind of child replacement. Another issue is the increased selfishness in the 'me' society where other people runners, walkers, children scared of dogs and other people and their dogs don't figure when exercising YOUR dog.

You also have the types of people where dog ownership is very unsuitable.People who buy dogs as some kind of status symbol and sometimes as a weapon.

What I would like to see as a runner and a dog owner. Is some kind of doig licensing scheme as well as a reform of the dangerous dogs act , not restricting more breeds but toughening up the sentences for allowing your dog to get out of control in public. I would also order local councils to toughen up the bylaws on where dogs can be walked without leads, and make certain parks designated areas where dogs must be kept on a lead at all times.. I have seen numerous dogs being walked leadless in a busy street with owner nattering away on a mobile phone.They need to be gripped .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trixster)
    It wouldn't work. Pit Bulls are a banned breed in this country. They have been banned for over 20 years. Guess what? there are still plenty of Pit Bulls around. We have one living a couple of streets away.

It is not enforcable.
    Of course it's enforceable.

The problem is that they just haven't bother attempting to enforce it.

ReputationRep:
    i only like small cute dogs.i wont go close to a big one...i dont know about cats,they are too mysterious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahaneap)

When out running, I am always hassled by dogs. Some just follow me, which is bad enough, but occasionally they are more aggressive. A few weeks ago, a bull dog-like thing sprinted at me and jumped at my face. It kept doing this, with the owner shouting for it to stop. I stood rooted to the spot, not knowing whether it was going to attack me, whether I could outrun it, or if I should kick it. In the end, I did nothing and the owner wrestled it off me. And then I don't even get "Sorry about that."
    if you learn not to be scared of them then things become alot easier
    dogs jump up at me all the time, but because i have a dog i've learned that they're just being friendly, so you can just ruffle the hair on their head and gently push them down and they're fine

basically, just man up.

in regards to other comments about dogs being smelly and leaving a mess everywhere, that's why we opted to have a dog that doesnt malt so she doesnt leave hair everywhere. all your comments seem to suggest that the owner is at fault, not the dog, as any self respecting human would keep their house clean so it doesnt smell like a dog's ass

EDIT:
    i should also point out that, when people come to the door of our house, our dog always pesters the person at the door 100x more if they are scared of her. a frightened reaction seems to prompt some sort of strange response from dogs.. so just learn to not be scared and chances are you will have better experiences with them.

ReputationRep:
    I love dogs. I love all sorts of breeds; especially labradors and border collies.

I own a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel at the moment and she's lovely.

Really want a chocolate lab when I have my own house. :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomjak)
    if you learn not to be scared of them then things become alot easier
    dogs jump up at me all the time, but because i have a dog i've learned that they're just being friendly, so you can just ruffle the hair on their head and gently push them down and they're fine

basically, just man up.

in regards to other comments about dogs being smelly and leaving a mess everywhere, that's why we opted to have a dog that doesnt malt so she doesnt leave hair everywhere. all your comments seem to suggest that the owner is at fault, not the dog, as any self respecting human would keep their house clean so it doesnt smell like a dog's ass

EDIT:
    i should also point out that, when people come to the door of our house, our dog always pesters the person at the door 100x more if they are scared of her. a frightened reaction seems to prompt some sort of strange response from dogs.. so just learn to not be scared and chances are you will have better experiences with them.
    I am not scared of dogs. I know that if one really were to attack me, I could probably kill it, or at least run away. Of course I have a "frightened reaction" when one of the ***** runs and jumps at me. I don't want their muddy feet all over me. Nor do I want dog spit on my clothes.

I don't think I should have to learn dog body language in order to leave my house. Dogs are a menace.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to disappoint you, but your dogs don't love you. They simply know that you are their best bet for a reliable source of food. If they were starving to death because you weren't feeding them, they would happily kill you and eat your dead body.
    Are you actually serious? You're suggesting that a dog will kill its owner for a source of food? www.down-syndrome-help.com

(Original post by MathsHamster)
    I don't like them because of their smell and their slobber.
    Only dirty dogs with bad coats smell, my dog has a fine silky coat and does not smell. [Preempting] Everyone who comes to my house states it does not smell. My dog does not slobber. A person can train his dog not to.

(Original post by MathsHamster)
    They make me feel sick when they come near me, they are dirty and greasy and wipe their saliva all over you, they are dumb animals, and worst of all are the owners who insist that everything I have just said is wrong. People who hug and kiss their dogs should be shot.
    I notice you're talking about the ignorance of dog owners, ******* hypocrite. Why don't YOU shoot yourself because people like you ******* disgust me.

(Original post by jenny28)
    When i walk home a certain way, I got dogs coming up 2 me dribbling on my legs or jumping up and licking my face. Dog Owners say that dogs lick ur face because they like you , actually its because they want you to regurgitate your food apparently! nice! why you would want to waste your money on somehting that just barks, ****s and dribbles all day i have no idea!
    Congratulations, you're an idiot

(Original post by Phugoid)

They are stupid, they are disobedient (in most cases), They are more obedient than ALOT of humans. Hardly stupid, yes they don't have the mental capacities of humans, but that in no way means that they are stupid.

they are entirely dependent, My dog is only dependent on food. If everything which supports humans such as electricity all dissipated how many humans would actually be able to survive? The majority of humans are ******* idiots when it comes to Independence

they are a liability, they can be dangerous, They can be yes, but only because of the incompetency of humans.

they are costly to feed, they always have that 'dog' smell which lingers around the house for ages, they don't clean themselves as thoroughly as other domestic animals, they are obtrusive and intrusive, they destroy whatever they get their paws on, they take up too much space, they are often loud and their barking at stupid things is incessant (I once had a dog who would bark for 2+ hours at 3am onwards if he heard a paper bag blow down the street...), and of course their excrement is horrible and everywhere.

I can't be bothered to address anymore of your absurd deluded and atrocious generalizations.

There is no positive aspect of dogs as domestic pets that can't be offered by other pets which have even more positive attributes. Guide dogs and police dogs aside, I really don't see the point in buying into such a massive burden. What other pets offer such great security/loyalty/affection?

Dog is not man's best friend. I see you have intellectually checkmated me with this amazing final point which just reverberates with the intelligence within your post

Dogs are an outcome of their environment, just like humans. Raise a child in a poor environment and you will end up with a criminal, heck look at council estates etc - A lot of criminal activity which can be attributed to a poor environment. Same concept applies with dogs, teach them and discipline them when they are young and they will be fine - Let them run amok with no rules and they will be a total menace. People need to stop being so god damn retarded and understand that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    Are you actually serious? You're suggesting that a dog will kill its owner for a source of food? www.down-syndrome-help.com

Only dirty dogs with bad coats smell, my dog has a fine silky coat and does not smell. [Preempting] Everyone who comes to my house states it does not smell. My dog does not slobber. A person can train his dog not to.

I notice you're talking about the ignorance of dog owners, ******* hypocrite. Why don't YOU shoot yourself because people like you ******* disgust me.

Congratulations, you're an idiot

Dogs are an outcome of their environment, just like humans. Raise a child in a poor environment and you will end up with a criminal, heck look at council estates etc - A lot of criminal activity which can be attributed to a poor environment. Same concept applies with dogs, teach them and discipline them when they are young and they will be fine - Let them run amok with no rules and they will be a total menace. People need to stop being so god damn retarded and understand that.
    Well done, if you disagree with something, and say it insultingly enough, science no longer applies. Idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Well done, if you disagree with something, and say it insultingly enough, science no longer applies. Idiot.
    Where does science apply in this debate?
    I thought i was asserting the typical TSR user logic?

Well done, if you make a self righteous comment, with no reason to back it up, you're intellectually superior.

ReputationRep:
    Where does science apply in this debate?
    I thought i was asserting the typical TSR user logic?

Well done, if you make a self righteous comment, with no reason to back it up, you're intellectually superior.
    Try starving a dog to death. It will attack you, no matter how loyal you think it is to you. That's just simple animal behaviour.

Also, the thing about them licking your face is entirely plausible. There is obviously a reason for them doing it, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

ReputationRep:
    Try starving a dog to death. It will attack you, no matter how loyal you think it is to you. That's just simple animal behaviour.

Also, the thing about them licking your face is entirely plausible. There is obviously a reason for them doing it, otherwise they wouldn't do it.
    Nice 'science'.

ReputationRep:
    Nice 'science'.
    Thankyou. Feel free to try the dog starving experiment for yourself.

Note how I did not claim that dogs lick people's faces to make them regurgitate food. I stated that it was plausible. From an evolutionary point of view, it may be that they would benefit from this type of behaviour. However, no one has any way of proving that this is why they evolved to do this.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou. Feel free to try the dog starving experiment for yourself.
    I don't need to, i can read thousands of stories about owners starving animals resulting in the animals death without the animal attacking the owner. Heck, if it is basic animal behaviour then surely cats and hamsters would attack us etc?

Note how I did not claim that dogs lick people's faces to make them regurgitate food. I stated that it was plausible. From an evolutionary point of view, it may be that they would benefit from this type of behaviour. However, no one has any way of proving that this is why they evolved to do this.
    Of course it is plausible, it actually does happen for that reason albeit that is a pretty small reason for it and it only applies to puppies.

ReputationRep:

Agreed it's “plausible” even though you lack a reasoned argument. That “Dogs lick your face to make you regurgitate your food” this regurgitation reflex has only been recognized when studying wolfs in the wild. There are incredible differences between wild dogs and domestic dogs, coupled with many other theories which are more probable.

It seems as though you only consider ‘negative’ theories even if other more probable theories exist; To create even a futile argument to strengthen your hatred against dogs.

ReputationRep:
    My dog does not slobber.
    Neither of ours do either. I have been dribbled on, but that was because he was panting because it was so hot.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.