Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everybody, I’m not sure if many of you are aware of this, but Swine Flu can stay on surfaces like mobile phones, laptops, door handles, light switches etc and it can be passed from surface to surface. However, it can also spread through tiny droplets that escape through our mouth when we cough and sneeze.

The best way to avoid swine flu is to avoid sharing food, passing your mobile phone around, putting pens/pencils in your mouth and avoid kissing (sorry!!).

I hope this information proves useful to you people. I’m working with Boots at the moment to raise awareness.

Sohaib

ReputationRep:
    If you're worried about the symptoms of Swine Flu, it's easy to check online at - www.pandemicflu.direct.gov.uk

However, it's also important to reduce the liklihood of contracting Swine Flu, and to take precautions against it. For example, keep your hands clean, and keep keyboards and other surfaces clean. If you sneeze, bin your tissue. Also, do not share your food or drink with others... Or makeup or lip-balm.

Keep yourself and others safe by being aware!

This is part of a team by Boots' to raise awareness of Swine Flu.

Samantha.

ReputationRep:
    What happens if anyone gets it at university.
    I cannot go home as it is 8 hours away by train. I wouldnt be able to stay in my room because id give it to people in my flat?! What would happen
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ponpon14)
    What happens if anyone gets it at university.
    I cannot go home as it is 8 hours away by train. I wouldnt be able to stay in my room because id give it to people in my flat?! What would happen

They'd recommend you stay in your room at Uni. They'd rather you gave it to the other people in your flat (let's say 5 others?) who'd also receive tamiflu as a precaution (although this is useless) than you travel 8 hours home and give it to X number of people along the way.

i don't get what the **** everybody's problem is with swine flu! everyone gets flu and no one complains about that even though more people die of normal flu than swine flu!
    My sister had it and shes fine so have lots of my friends!
    NO ONE CARES!!!!!!!!!
    get over it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i don't get what the **** everybody's problem is with swine flu! everyone gets flu and no one complains about that even though more people die of normal flu than swine flu!
    My sister had it and shes fine so have lots of my friends!
    NO ONE CARES!!!!!!!!!
    get over it!
    Hear hear!! Big media hype. It's like normal flu really. I've had enough of it lol

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys I recently come down with Flu ( I think) and yeah normal symptoms and stuff but alot of people telling me that it might be swine flu but I am pretty skeptical about it all. Like some of the symptoms arnt constant like felling sick and shortness of breath, Also when i go to bed my brain just doesnt stop and I like start thinking of loads of processes i have to go through in uni and it just makes me feel ill and restless!

Do you think I should call the nhs or just keep on my beechems and ibuprofen ? (btw its been like 3 days now)

ReputationRep:
    That does not seem like a swine flu. You could have swine flu if you have a high fever (over 39 celsius) that rose very quickly, but mainly your symphtoms sound like you are awfully stressed out and this flu seems to tell you to calm down.

I have had the swine flu and I think it can be spotted out of normal flu any day. It contains the high fever (mine rose from nothing into over 39 in one hour), huge muscle tenderness and spasm, might be vommitting, walking or rising up from bed seems like a huge task and so on.

ReputationRep:
    yeah I can barely move without maximum effort , I do have a feaver but its on and off I am not sure how hot i have been getting , I just want to be safe really starting to get a bit worried , as I almost collapsed yesterday in a shop.

I attemped to go to university yesterday wearing shorts and tshirt and i was still to hot walking there

ReputationRep:
    If you have the flu you should be in bed, not trying to go out.

ReputationRep:
    I had to go out to get flu remedies! just added vomiting to the list of symptoms not nice I am so bored everyone is sleeping and I just am stuck here lol.

ReputationRep:
    If you feel hot, it means your fever is coming down and it's good. If you are cold, it means your fever is rising up or there isn't any more pain killers in your blood to make it go down. It is normal that your fever goes on and off if you use pain killers, but if it goes on and off without them, it seems like you are doing something to make it rise again (for example walk too much or something).

You should also be noted that even if you have a swine flu, it can go away on it's own if you do not have any severe chronic illness. So do not panic.

ReputationRep:
    See if you can get someone else to get them for you because you really shouldn't be going out if you're nearly collapsing in shops.

ReputationRep:
    Drink lots of fluids, stay in bed and get as much rest as possible, the worst should be over within a few days.

ReputationRep:
    To put it simple you HAVE to have a high temperature meaning feeling unusually hot or cold and shivery. and 2 out of headache, sore throat, persistent watery diorrohea, persistent cough, earache and muscle and joint aches. if you have this then you should phone the flu line to get the antivirals. also dont go out yourself...send someone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omegaweapon1987)
    Hi guys I recently come down with Flu ( I think) and yeah normal symptoms and stuff but alot of people telling me that it might be swine flu but I am pretty skeptical about it all. Like some of the symptoms arnt constant like felling sick and shortness of breath, Also when i go to bed my brain just doesnt stop and I like start thinking of loads of processes i have to go through in uni and it just makes me feel ill and restless!

Do you think I should call the nhs or just keep on my beechems and ibuprofen ? (btw its been like 3 days now)
    Even though I phoned up the pandemic hotline and they said that I didn't have swine flu, they still put me on Ta****lu. I have coughing and Vomiting as symptoms, but other than that i feel perfectly well, pretty sure that isn't swine flu Kind of worried about yellow phlegm though.
    I gave into the tamiflu anyway, dunno if it was the right thing to do but hey.

ReputationRep:
    I think i had swine flu, my flatmate had it and passed it on.

It just felt like a heavy cold, just take what you would for a cold, i did, took about a week and a half for it to wear off.

Anadin, and lemsip, plenty of fluids, and keep eating

ReputationRep:
    yeah i have been dosing myself with lemsips and beechems flu tablets , been trying to eat but most things I eat comes back up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omegaweapon1987)
    yeah i have been dosing myself with lemsips and beechems flu tablets , been trying to eat but most things I eat comes back up

I think I've got swine flu as well, and I'm afraid of eating because when I see food, I feel sick and have to hold it down.

ReputationRep:
    I developed flu symptoms yesterday. I woke up with an extremely raw sore throat. I've got a bad cough, runny nose, aching back and legs, headache. I did the swine flu online check thing and at the end of it it said that I had been administered antivirul medicine. I was like oh ok so i'm now on Tamiflu. I don't know if it is actually swine flu but I guess its just safer to take the tablets. I feel better today, but annoyed that I have to miss college this week cuz I will miss so much work.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.