Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Message)
    Ok so I 'THINK' I have learnt my first Catholic prayer in Latin - the 'Hail Mary'

I must say that my first attempts at Latin have been very fun and interesting. I am now going to attempt to write this prayer now in Latin (mostly) from memory

Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominum tecum. Benedicta tu in mulieribus, et benedictus fructus ventris tui Iesus. Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc, et in hora mortis nostrae. Amen
    pretty good, though it's Dominus tecum :yes:. What are you using to learn Latin? I used this back in the day. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medbh4805)
    What are you using to learn Latin? I used this back in the day. :beard:
    I am not using anything in particular tbh. I am just learning the prayers by rote after having written them down. Are you going to study Classics at uni btw?

Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    I am not using anything in particular tbh. I am just learning the prayers by rote after having written them down. Are you going to study Classics at uni btw?

Thanks a lot!
    I was able to read the Vulgate pretty much fluently after I completed that book (as in although I did have to refer to a dictionary occasionally it didn't interfere with my reading) - I can't say I've ever achieved that with any Classical texts , so I would recommend it.

Yes I am :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medbh4805)
    I was able to read the Vulgate pretty much fluently after I completed that book (as in although I did have to refer to a dictionary occasionally it didn't interfere with my reading) - I can't say I've ever achieved that with any Classical texts , so I would recommend it.

Yes I am :yep:
    Very impressive! Is that book hard to get through btw e.g heavy focus on grammar?

What uni you off to? Are you studying Latin and Greek or just Latin?

ReputationRep:
    Very impressive! Is that book hard to get through btw e.g heavy focus on grammar?

What uni you off to? Are you studying Latin and Greek or just Latin?
    Yeah, I'm looking at it now and there is a lot of grammar (drills and translation exercises in every chapter!), but to be honest it's not really possible to learn Latin without sitting down and doing the grammar and learning the tables off :sadnod: And a lot of the textbooks I used for Classical Latin also have a heavy emphasis on grammar... I suppose you could use Ecce Romani (which again is classical) or something as an introduction but eventually you'd have to sit down and learn it so...:dontknow: The Koine Greek book I have too is grammar heavy...

Oxford. I'll be doing both Latin and Greek.

Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominus tecum. Benedicta tu in mulieribus, et benedictus fructus ventris tui Iesus. Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc, et in hora mortis nostrae. Amen
    Having gone to a Catholic school I remember singing this in Latin. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)

I've got to dig out my Hercules video.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    That sounds like a big undertaking. You really must find it fun! I don't think I'd have the tenacity to retranslate the most translated book on Earth, but that's probably a failing of mine.
    It's more a way of keeping up my Greek skills in a year where I'm not getting any direct language teaching (I'm not doing any modules that are offered in Greek and I've done the highest focused language module at Warwick). But I do very much enjoy Greek, I get into debates on Christianity quite often and will as such often refer back to the Greek as there are often subtle differences between what is renderable in fluent English and a literal translation (as is the case with all language) that are often quite important for finer points of interpretation. Having my own literal reference source seems like something useful to have whilst keeping up my Greek reading speed and vocabulary. I might do a bit of tragedy as well just because I'm madly in love with Euripides.

ReputationRep:
    Bought my first textbooks from the university bookshop today. Nerdgasm in 3, 2...

ReputationRep:
    Just discovered I can get 99% of the major ancient texts for free on the kindle I'm getting for my birthday.
    Yaaaay.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big-bang-theory)
    It's more a way of keeping up my Greek skills in a year where I'm not getting any direct language teaching (I'm not doing any modules that are offered in Greek and I've done the highest focused language module at Warwick). But I do very much enjoy Greek, I get into debates on Christianity quite often and will as such often refer back to the Greek as there are often subtle differences between what is renderable in fluent English and a literal translation (as is the case with all language) that are often quite important for finer points of interpretation. Having my own literal reference source seems like something useful to have whilst keeping up my Greek reading speed and vocabulary. I might do a bit of tragedy as well just because I'm madly in love with Euripides.
    In that case, excellent, and I can only wish your endeavour well. I'm translating a novel from Portuguese at the moment, mainly to aid in learning the language, although it'll probably take a couple of years to complete at current velocity.

(Original post by skunky x)
    Just discovered I can get 99% of the major ancient texts for free on the kindle I'm getting for my birthday.
    Yaaaay.

That's cool (and you can get them for free already from somewhere like here), but the free texts are usually only the ones that have passed out of copyright (which ordinarily expires 70 years after the death of the author/translator), so they might be a bit fusty to read compared to newer editions from the library. But anything free is definitely good! (Watch out for the texts priced at like £0.79 or £0.99 too, as they're usually just public domain works you can get for free that someone's making a cheeky profit out of.) Oh, and happy birthday.

(Original post by SacredWolf)
    Bought my first textbooks from the university bookshop today. Nerdgasm in 3, 2...
    Don't injure yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)

That's cool (and you can get them for free already from somewhere like here), but the free texts are usually only the ones that have passed out of copyright (which ordinarily expires 70 years after the death of the author/translator), so they might be a bit fusty to read compared to newer editions from the library. But anything free is definitely good! (Watch out for the texts priced at like £0.79 or £0.99 too, as they're usually just public domain works you can get for free that someone's making a cheeky profit out of.) Oh, and happy birthday.
    It's not for two weeks but thank you! It's more that I can get them in transportable form.

Watching that Treasures of Rome on BBC 4 right now. Anyone else watching? Do we rate it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SacredWolf)
    That's the second time I have read the word 'Nerdgasm' this week. Why do I keep missing these new words being introduced into the English language, I feel so out of touch.

(Original post by RedDragon)
    That's the second time I have read the word 'Nerdgasm' this week. Why do I keep missing these new words being introduced into the English language, I feel so out of touch.
    I still have no idea what a 'nerdfighter' is.

What I find weird is when people describe themselves as 'nerds' when they can't spell. 'Nerd' implies pedantry and intelligence and if you can't spell you have neither ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    I still have no idea what a 'nerdfighter' is.

What I find weird is when people describe themselves as 'nerds' when they can't spell. 'Nerd' implies pedantry and intelligence and if you can't spell you have neither ...
    What about dyslexic nerds?

Oh TSR have redesigned the website again! I liked my red colour and dislike this change, it seems so sterile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedDragon)
    What about dyslexic nerds?

Oh TSR have redesigned the website again! I liked my red colour and dislike this change, it seems so sterile.
    I was on TSR for a few hours this afternoon too doing MBT reviews, it didn't get any better

Really don't understand why they changed it! At least I could adblock the annoying page guide thing

ReputationRep:
    I have no clue what a Nerdfighter is either, wikipedia and google searches just lead me in circles. In other news god job Universitas Oxoniensis (less googable?) for yet again ****ing up the teaching register. Friends of mine stupid enough to put their names down to teach have only found out they will be just before term starts, moreover I know they've listed one person who actually moved ad Cantabrigiam too. Which means people are panicking and printing off handouts and running around everywhere like little *****es whilst I sit here and read German. Ah. Pwnt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Lyceum)
    I have no clue what a Nerdfighter is either, wikipedia and google searches just lead me in circles. In other news god job Universitas Oxoniensis (less googable?) for yet again ****ing up the teaching register. Friends of mine stupid enough to put their names down to teach have only found out they will be just before term starts, moreover I know they've listed one person who actually moved ad Cantabrigiam too. Which means people are panicking and printing off handouts and running around everywhere like little *****es whilst I sit here and read German. Ah. Pwnt.
    A nerdfighter is a member of an online community started by YouTubers Hank and John Green the 'vlogbrothers'. They fight for awesome and to decrease world suck. Their motto is 'DFTBA' or 'Don't Forget to be Awesome!'.

ReputationRep:
    I for one automatically assumed that a nerd fighter was someone who fights nerds, some sort of anti-academia thug. Which is why I wasn't sure what was going on when they started posting in the Cambridge Freshers group.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 23, 2016

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.