Edexcel Chemistry A2 Unit 5 ~ Wednesday 19th June 2013 (Now Closed) Watch

Poll: How pumped up are you for this exam?-(warning)-(bad jokes arene this poll!)
"Titanium-I'm not going to corrode (even at high temperatures)" (A*) (22)
16.67%
"Benzene's my middle name, give me the paper in a week and I'll ace it!" (A) (27)
20.45%
"Yeah, I'm fairly electrophillic (positively charged) about the exam" (B) (27)
20.45%
"I'm in the middle of the salt bridge, but I will pass-eventually" (C) (21)
15.91%
"I'm feeling rather electroNegative about this exam" (D) (18)
13.64%
"Benzene, what's that?" (E) (6)
4.55%
"Chemistry, what's that?" (F) (11)
8.33%
This discussion is closed.
Hellz_Bellz!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by posthumus)
I got 0.84 V Woop I got something right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How'd you guys find it compared to past papers... I have a bad feeling grade boundaries will be high

And who has Physics unit 5 in several hours ???????
I found it a lot easier. At first glance I had a panic attack and thought everything looked hard, but I calmed myself down and realised it was pretty nice. A lot of people in my class said it went badly for them though. Good luck with physics!!
LeaX
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by James A)
I said that the same overall equation is produced, so it's regardless of whether you use acid or alkali.
yay same!

What did you guys put for melting point of titanium oxide compared to titanium chloride?
Hellz_Bellz!
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I said that it gives a larger surface area for the reaction.
Oh I didn't think of that. Also in the recrystallisation bit, how does one get rid of soluble impurities?
F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Blob2491)

Doh! I got 1.23V
I can't entirely remember though.

But one thing is for sure and that is that I combined the 2nd and 4th half equation. The ones involving OH- in them.
Blob2491
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Could you guys balance Ti and KOH?
F1's Finest
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hellz_Bellz!)
Oh I didn't think of that. Also in the recrystallisation bit, how does one get rid of soluble impurities?
You cool the filtrate, hence the soluble impurities evaporate!
mrhedgehog
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Knoyle quiah)
Sorry answer for polyamide wasnt b or d, i was 100% sure it was a, secondly its wasnt c3h8, it was c5h10 it was trick qsn, also alkali was trick qsn you had to use equations without OH - , and titration was exactly 3.6 common error was 1.8
are you for real?
posthumus
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Doh! I got 1.23V
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh wait a minute !

Overall Ecell.... okay I got 1.23 V as well :confused:

& I was trying to find bond enthalpy for C=C bond in the data booklet, was struggling to find it but realised I was being stupid... they'd given it to use pretty much in the question 120kJmol-1 ?

I thought it'd be difference in alkene group than benzene, but I guess not
loveheartsandall
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got 1.23V and basically the rest was the same as James A put. I hope the person who replied saying they were all wrong is wrong..... Otherwise that's a lot of marks lost already....

What did everyone put for the multiple choice about pH changing if n is 2 or 3 or something da***
How did everyone label the hydrogen environments? I think a put a total of 4 X and 4 Y and 2 Z

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hellz_Bellz!
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I forgot to balance until like the last 40 seconds... I think I did it but I'm not sure, I just threw in some random numbers :confused: could you?
oli_G
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah I think I used 6KOH and got K2O as one of my products, it balanced.
Hellz_Bellz!
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by loveheartsandall)
I got 1.23V and basically the rest was the same as James A put. I hope the person who replied saying they were all wrong is wrong..... Otherwise that's a lot of marks lost already....

What did everyone put for the multiple choice about pH changing if n is 2 or 3 or something da***
How did everyone label the hydrogen environments? I think a put a total of 4 X and 4 Y and 2 Z

Posted from TSR Mobile
pH would be higher if n=2, as there is lower charge density on the ion, so less deprotonation and therefore less H+ in solution so it's less acidic. And as for the hydrogen environments, I effed that up.
Gnome :)
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm liking how this is going so far I know I made a few silly mistakes though, such as drawing poly(propene) as a chain of 3 carbons, instead of 2 carbons and a methyl group
F1's Finest
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
I forgot the one about the pH changing

I put four X's, 4Y's and 2Z's.

And of course, they were shared between the two benzene groups (if that makes sense )
Hellz_Bellz!
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You cool the filtrate, hence the soluble impurities evaporate!
Oh I think I got that!
posthumus
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hellz_Bellz!)
I found it a lot easier. At first glance I had a panic attack and thought everything looked hard, but I calmed myself down and realised it was pretty nice. A lot of people in my class said it went badly for them though. Good luck with physics!!
Well done, sounds like you have done really well

& Thank you ! I had a panic attack throughout to be honest Chemistry is not my subject & I am so glad it's over.... I hope I got A & B in unit 2 & 4... & a high D in this or at least a C

No frickin' way !!!!
Blob2491
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I couldnt balance it...apparently we had to have H20 as one of the products
What did you guys put for the hydrogenation of benzene question and the mechanism for benzophenone?
mrhedgehog
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah for the hydrogen environments I basically labelled the hydrogen atoms with a X Y or Z, that was what we was meant to do right?
Blob2491
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
MCQ on which is not true for the hexa aqua complex? was it the oxidation state changes from n to (n-1)?
posthumus
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I mentioned every type of force for the titanium one high melting point thingy question....

London forces
Permanent Dipole
Electrostatic forces
Gravitational forces

You name it ! Hope I get one mark

For the colour one... I wrote so much beautiful about why things aren't coloured. Then I read the question again properly in the last 5 minutes of the exam -____- the woman takes over 2 minutes to get me an extra sheet of paper!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (110)
17.94%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.08%
Not great so far... (220)
35.89%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.09%

Watched Threads