Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD* watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleveradam)
    I wouldn't have said he doesn't belong anywhere because he essentially is the magnet and soul fragment who has a strong presence that gives hope to each and every ranch worker but also maintains a strong balance/control/order in the ranch and everyone seems to like him. And you could rephrase 'him leading to a successful path' to him rejuvenating, replenishing hope into the lives of those tame ranch workers and allowing them to see their goals as potential achievable goals. Additionally, how he is presented as a godly figure who is extremely versatile and fluctuative as he is adept to all situations...Steinbeck reveals no disability/negativity or weakness about Slim suggesting...
    Oh no... I don't even know what that rephrase sentence means oh god I'm so bad at English :/ I just thought that since his face was ageless and he stood in the doorway I could try to come up with an alternative interpretation so like he could befriend anyone so he not belong anywhere hahaha god what was I thinking in the exam :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cynical.)
    I wrote about the heirarchy on the ranch but only really mentioned Chapter 4, where all the "weak ones" are there, and explained why each one is seen as less important, and then mentioned how Curley's Wife is still more important than Crooks and quoted her saying she could get him hanged, and that Candy was more important than Curley's Wife because he said how he'd tell. Aasdfasdfg I don't know can we just skip to August 22nd please.
    Almost exactly what I wrote! I included how Slim has power because he is skilled and a likeable member of the bunkhouse, yet even though Candy describes Crooks as a 'hell of a nice guy,' and the 'broken harnesses in the process of being mended' indicate he is also skilled, don't lead to him having power, showing racial issues in American society 😁

ReputationRep:
    hey does any one have any model answers for conflict to post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahrimington)
    What exam do you do? On mine it says answer one or the other haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh maybe, sorry, I do AQA, you might totally be right if you do a different board

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr234)
    i thought because 'Give' is a foundation poem, it won't appear on higher?:eek:
    Aren't they all in highers since they're all in the Anthology?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=sarahrimington;42717138]What exam do you do? On mine it says answer one or the other haha

You're either on the wrong thread or you just lost 34 marks.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what last years grade boundary for English Lit was in terms of raw marks? I know it's out of 162 but I'm wondering what an A would be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SS_Ldn)
    no give, brendon gallager, the ruined maid and one other one are all F poems, but you can still use them to compare

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathsfreak8162)
    yeah same for some of part (a) i put that the 'about' shows he knows what he's doing and takes control but for Bob is impatient and angry due to the 'red rooster'
    and yeah same for part (b) about the Maycomb is goverened by racism but i backed it up with the fact that AT the trial Mr Dolphus Raymond says to Scout 'you folks won't tell on will you' - then related it to when it says Jem has grown up by 'breaking the remaining code of childhood' but Maycomb hasn't - 'they will never, never understand' then I went into saying Miss Maudies view contrasts this of the 'baby step' do you think that's ok it happened at the trial so techincally she's using the trial to get him to explain, but it isn't specifically the trial?
    I think part (b) wasn't specifically asking you about the trial.... simply attitudes towards the court case throughout the whole novel so even if it isn't specifically the trial, Miss Maudie's "Baby-step" idea relates to the trial's aftermath

ReputationRep:
    Aha by the looks of it I am the only one who did Mr Pip

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenTeryaki)
    Does anyone know what last years grade boundary for English Lit was in terms of raw marks? I know it's out of 162 but I'm wondering what an A would be.
    Cash-in grades for ENGLISH LITERATURE (AQA GCSE)
    *these ums totals remain the same every year, only the raw mark milestones change

C-120
    B-140
    A-160
    A*180

Maximum UMS mark is 200/200
    D-100
    E F G grades do not qualify
    U-20 (equating to around 7/162 raw marks)

English
    Literature GCSE 47101F
    Exploring Modern Texts (Foundation tier) 55 UMS C(48) D(40) E(32) F(24) G(16)

47101H Exploring Modern Texts (Higher tier) 80 UMS A*(72) A(64) B(56) C(48) D(40) E(36)

47102F Poetry Across Time (Foundation tier) 48 UMS C(42) D(35) E(28) F(21) G(14)

47102H Poetry Across Time (Higher tier) 70 UMS A*(63) A(56) B(49) C(42) D(35) E(32)

47103 Significance of Shakespeare & Literary Heritage 50 UMS A* (45) A(40) B(35) C(30) D(25) E(20) F(15) G(10)

47104F Shakespeare and Literary Heritage (Fdn tier) 48 UMS C(42) D(35) E(28) F(21) G(14)
    47104H Shakespeare and Literary Heritage (Higher tier) 70 UMS A*(63) A(56) B(49) C(42) D(35) E(32)
    47105 Exploring Poetry 50 UMS A* (45) A(40) B(35) C(30) D(25) E(20) F(15) G(10)

ReputationRep:
    Can I make a recommendation that we change the subject to poetry? We seem to work very well together, and today's exam is in the past; there's not much point in discussing it. It's likely that we all did a little bit better in the exam because of this thread, so let's use this again to our advantage for Thursday's exam.

If you absolutely must talk about the Unit 1 exam then start a new thread, this one should now be dedicated to getting everyone prepared for poetry!

ReputationRep:
    Predictions of poems that may appear in the Character and voice cluster?

ReputationRep:
    I need 66/80 UMS in the exam we did today for an A* - does anyone know what sort of raw mark that is? Would like to know my chances, cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelBx)
    was this the question that was like how do you respond to the end of the play?

i wrote about techinqyes used at the end like the telephone ringing 'sharply' and the characters coming to realisation with the 'guilt' on their faces. I also mentioned the curtain falling down resembling a gulittin, which symoblises the end of their time etc...
    YES! I thought it was on about the language a Priestley used for the ending and throughout the play :'( Do you think it will still get marked?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SS_Ldn)
    Where did you hear that from? I'm pretty sure they're all the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenAssirati)
    Aha by the looks of it I am the only one who did Mr Pip
    hey are you going to do a page on conflict

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan075)
    Urmm...I wouldn't have put that?
    Ha ha, well thanks for your honesty :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NorwichCityFC)
    I need 66/80 UMS in the exam we did today for an A* - does anyone know what sort of raw mark that is? Would like to know my chances, cheers.
    42/68 (January 2013 grade boundaries)
    37/68 (June 2012 grade boundaries)
    39/68 (January 2012 grade boundaries)
    38/68 (June 2011 grade boundaries)

Each raw mark provided above equates to 66 UMS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedSchool)
    42/68 (January 2013 grade boundaries)
    37/68 (June 2012 grade boundaries)
    39/68 (January 2012 grade boundaries)
    38/68 (June 2011 grade boundaries)

Each raw mark provided above equates to 66 UMS
    are those grade boundaries for the A or A*?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.